TechSpot

the dreaded 6600 help!!

By I Need Help
Apr 29, 2006
  1. I have a dell insperon 4600 and it came with a GeForce 5200. i just bought a PNY GeForce 6600 i uninstalled the drivers for my old card and placed my new one in i didnt plug in the power cords that came with it. the fan runs and the computer turns on but the monitor just stays blank. please help!

2. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 420

Did you plug it into the monitor? Did you actually take out the old card too?(you didn't say you did and I'm just getting the stupid questions out of the way first :D )
    If by "power cables that came with it" you mean this:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5853
    then I'd highly suggest plugging that in ;)
    What kind of PSU are you working with?

3. I Need Help

I Need Help TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes

yes i phyiscally took the old one out and im woking with a 250w psu and how do i plug it into my power supply

4. paranoid guy

So that's the cable that came with it?
    Ok, if I remember correctly there should be a multi-coloured cable down the side of your PSU(you hope) probably tucked away, not connected to anything. you plug the black 6 pin connection into your card and one of the 3 pin plugs into this cable. If this cable is not there tell me. btw this SHOULD be in your manual and it probably can explain better than me.

5. I Need Help

does it have a black rubber cap on it?

6. paranoid guy

Yup, that's the one.

7. paranoid guy

I forgot to mention, and I hate to say this, but a 250w PSU with that card could be a recipe for disaster. I've got a 305w one for this 6800GT and it's barely cutting it. Can you tell me your PSU manufacturer?

8. I Need Help

You are the man!!! im so happy it works now i cant tell you how awsome this is

9. paranoid guy

Check the temperature of the card. i'm just kind of worried about that 250w psu, but like I said I've only got a 305w one and I haven't blown up yet...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.