The first major update for Windows 10 could arrive as early as next week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Over the past 10 months, more than five million people signed up to receive the Windows 10 Technical Preview. The Windows Insider program played an instrumental role in helping Microsoft hammer out some early bugs ahead of Windows 10’s arrival yesterday.

Now that Microsoft’s new operating system is here, millions more are getting the opportunity to take it out for a spin. More hands on deck inevitably means that even more bugs will be sniffed out, something Microsoft was clearly prepared for.

The Redmond-based company has already issued some early patches but the first bigger collection of fixes is slated to arrive as early as next week. Sources familiar with the matter told The Verge that Service Release 1 (SR1) won’t include any new features but will instead focus on rectifying some of the issues that have cropped up post-launch.

The first major update to include new features is scheduled for October, the publication said. One of the new features we can reportedly expect is a new Messaging app that will provide Skype integration and extensions support for the Edge browser.

In a recent interview, Microsoft’s Terry Myerson said they have a group working on some really cool updates and that Windows Insiders will begin to receive new builds soon.

Have you had a chance to try out Windows 10 since it went mainstream? If so, let us know what you think so far in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I installed yesterday Windows 10 on both my hybrid PC and Desktop PC, it's been really amazing and the update process was rather quick. It's good to hear they are improving this OS so soon

I installed yesterday Windows 10 on both my hybrid PC and Desktop PC, it's been really amazing and the update process was rather quick. It's good to hear they are improving this OS so soon

I installed 3 PC's yesterday... I have reverted 2 back to Windows 7, one of them twice... too many issues but would probably work awesome from a clean install. Two of the PC's did not go well had Stardocks software loaded and the UI was completely broken. Tried uninstalling Stardock and reinstalling Win 10 but still had issues. Will wait till the weekend for the failed ones to try again...

So far im loving windows 10. Its great to have an app store for windows that I can actually run in the usual windows environment. Only thing is some start up performance issues but thats it.

I'm liking 10 very much but so far I've only used the Edge browser to download Chrome and I couldn't be bothered with Skype, I don't use it and to message I only use my phone so those fixes or new features will go unnoticed by me.
What I don't like about 10 so far is the fact that I can't adjust the interval between the wallpaper changes but maybe that's because I'm still using Win 7 themes.

Last edited:
Neither of my PCs has pulled the update down yet, even with them being powered on 24/7 for the last week. :-(

I updated both my laptop & desktop boxes (8.1) a day ago. I was amazed how SMOOTH the update process was. ALL my settings, desktop, icons were left alone and everything went perfectly. FINALLY MS got an OS update that was seemless. Granted, 8.1 to 10 isn't much of an update GUI wise, but still, it was an easy
update.

Yes, Yarrow is right about Stardock products. Object Dock had no issues, but Start8 really gummed it up. Took a while, but eventually I was able to remove Start8 and then all was well. Start10 gives a much better interface - none of those clunky tiles, but all links to applications are easy to find.

I installed 3 PC's yesterday... I have reverted 2 back to Windows 7, one of them twice... too many issues but would probably work awesome from a clean install. Two of the PC's did not go well had Stardocks software loaded and the UI was completely broken. Tried uninstalling Stardock and reinstalling Win 10 but still had issues. Will wait till the weekend for the failed ones to try again...
I have been using win 10 for over a year now, and I use three docks of objectdock, and one dock of rocketdock. I have never had any issues with it. so I would suggest that the problem is on your system, not this os. this isn't meant as a flame, but to help you work through whatever is screwing up your upgrades.

I'm liking 10 very much but so far I've only used the Edge browser to download Chrome and I couldn't be bothered with Skype, I don't use it and to message I only use my phone so those fixes or new features will go unnoticed by me.
What I don't like about 10 so far is the fact that I can't adjust the interval between the wallpaper changes but maybe that's because I'm still using Win 7 themes.
while I agree about not having better choices for intervals of changing backgrounds, for the other things, the only advice I can give you is this: try new things. you never know what your really like, until you give a good honest effort in trying everything. so I would suggest for you not to get stuck in your older routines, instead, give the new stuff a legitimate trial, and then if you still prefer your older routine, at least it is an informed opinion.

After the last Windows 10 update, and NVIDIA's last update, I've had issues. Video will constantly stop for 2 seconds and then start back. Really annoying since it does it at least 3 or 4 times within a minute. The other thing that bothers me is when I'm moving a window from one monitor to another. Ever since W10 was released, I had the problem where the window would hang when my mouse reached the crossing point between monitors. It's like running into a broken automatic door. You hit it and back up and then it opens and you go through.

I won't be upgrading my Windows 7 to Windows 10 anytime soon. I will wait until, the drivers are available and stable enough. I don't want to run into any issues.

Back