The (good) bundle comeback: Samsung to offer 22 premium apps in Galaxy S6 free of charge

Shawn Knight

Staff member

pocket shazam fleksy galaxy gifts android free samsung apps free apps galaxy s6 galaxy s6 edge

Samsung has a knack for offering buyers of its latest flagship devices a bundle of quality apps to go along with their purchase and soon-to-be owners of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge are no exception.

The collection is known as Galaxy Gifts and this time around, it’ll consist of 22 premium apps / services. Below is a list of the freebies in no particular order.

• VSCO
  • Magisto
  • Pac-Man Friends
  • The Hobbit: Kingdoms
  • Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs
  • NYTimes
  • The Economist
  • Kindle for Samsung
  • Audible
  • Workout Trainer
  • Endomondo
  • Uber
  • Keepy
  • PayPal
  • Life360
  • LastPass
  • Shazam
  • Fleksy
  • Evernote
  • Pocket
  • Parallels Access
  • Hancom Office

You’ll no doubt notice that some of the apps are already free. In these instances, Samsung will typically provide some sort of in-game content as part of the gift or simply offer the premium version of the app at no charge.

Naturally, some apps will be more useful or desirable than others. For example, Shazam, Fleksy and Evernote are likely to be hot items. Either way, they’re all free and will likely show up for download through the Galaxy Gifts section of the Galaxy Apps application once the S6 family arrives.

Just to reiterate, these are optional apps – not a list of apps that come pre-installed on new devices. In fact, Samsung is doing away with a lot of the bloatware and gimmicky applications that have arrived on previous Galaxy iterations. They’ve instead decided to focus on design, a decision that I can’t agree with more.

Permalink to story.

And it doesn't even have the Terminal for command-line prompt. As a Linux developer, I feel so lost and disrespected! :)

$ cd /
$ su root
$ service call phone 2 s16 "911"

- yes, you can make calls from Android console ;)

Last edited:
I'm pleased to see they're doing this, this is far better than the 20TB of bloatware they've managed to cram onto previous devices but I'm also dismayed to see they've bundled Flipboard, the most useless, space wasting, unwanted heap of garbageware with most of their latest devices, and now it's got a homescreen all to itself. A good thing it can be disabled but it still litters precious storage space.

Apple's app store is about 50% garbage, Android app store is about 90% garbage. It is nice to be an Android user, if you can handle that much crap.

Great so I can select none of this crap and save space on the non expandable memory card, win-win-oh wait lose, no expandable memory.

This is a little off topic but why does an application designed to identify music via the microphone and Internet require Device ID & Call information? or my Identity and location for that matter... And half the applications seem to require this for absolutely no reason, anyone else concerned with this?

Apple's app store is about 50% garbage, Android app store is about 90% garbage. It is nice to be an Android user, if you can handle that much crap.

That extra 10% left over in the Android app store nicely outnumbers the 50% of useful stuff in the Apple store however.

Personally I think these numbers you provided are fairly skewed, but Android has so much more going for it than Apple simply because there are a lot more developers pouring into Android.

Well, it could be a great deal, but my current Samsung phone from 5 years ago is still going strong and the new stuff simply doesn't have anything I can't live without. Since I don't own any Samsung stock I'm encouraging EVERYONE to rush out and buy an iPhone so my Apple stock keeps climbing and nicely supplements my retirement ..... how bout them apples!

A lot of those apps are free (pocket, NYT, VSCO, Shazam, Evernote). Interesting bundle though.

Back