TechSpot

The iPhone caused Android developers to "start over"

By Scorpus
Dec 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The original iPhone was perhaps more revolutionary than many of us realize. The announcement of the very first smartphone from Apple prompted the development team for Google's competitor, Android, to come to the conclusion that they would "have to start...

Read more

2. Here we go in 3...2...1...

3. If you have ever owned a phone before the original iphone you definitely had a relative POS. Iphone was at least 2 years ahead of its time.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,405   +1,594

Two years ahead of everyone else maybe, but not ahead of its time.

khha4113, SirGCal and wastedkill like this.
  5. Ahead of it's time? Windows Mobile 2003 was ahead of it's time. With internet, e-mail, messaging, screen capture, blue-tooth file transfer (Which the iPhone still has held back), media player, weather apps, memory card input (Which the iPhone still has held back), calendar, and more. All Apple did was make it look cuter and easier to use.

Now here we have articles constantly trying to belittle Android, which is the number one selling OS in the world. Smells like a sore loser to me.

This info via Gartner.
    Worldwide smartphone sales to end users by operating system in 2013
    Android
     79.0%
    iOS
     14.2%
    Windows Mobile
     3.3%
    BlackBerry
     2.7%
    Other
     0.9%

khha4113 likes this.
  6. @cliffordcooley,

If it wasn't so ahead if its time as you suggest, I would love to see your examples of phones that were using touchscreens and had the same look and feel as the original iphone prior to its release..

Face it Apple did reinvent the way modern cell phones look and behave.

..cue all the haters who keep saying Apple can't innovate.. :eek::p

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,405   +1,594

First off, there is no such thing as technology that is ahead of its time. The statement itself is false, that is unless time travel does exist.

Besides what part of "Two years ahead of everyone else" did you not understand. Innovation is not presenting things ahead of its time. Especially when all the independent components already existed and Apple simply put the pieces together.

8. I had a Samsung flipphone before my first iphone. The game it had installed was similar to pong. People used their phones only as phones before the iphone.

9. I used to be an iphone user, then I took an arrow in the knee..
    ..err, then I took an android to replace it..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.