'The Matrix Resurrections' trailer is here, and it's full of Easter eggs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Warner Bros. Pictures is ready to take fans back to where it all started, and the path begins today with the premiere of the first official trailer for The Matrix Resurrections. There are plenty of throwbacks and Easter eggs weaved into the trailer for fans to discover as well, if you’re into that sort of thing.

The fourth film in the groundbreaking franchise sees Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprise their roles as Neo and Trinity. The trailer opens with Thomas Anderson, aka Neo, visiting a therapist played by Neil Patrick Harris. He recalls having dreams that “weren’t just dreams” and asks if he is crazy. Neo seemingly doesn’t remember his past, but it may be coming back to him in these “dreams.”

Neo and Trinity also don’t seem to remember each other, but get the feeling that they’ve met before.

Compelling storylines aside, the trailer impresses with the sort of mind-bending action sequences that we’ve come to expect from the franchise. The first film in the series, which premiered way back in 1999, popularized the “bullet time” effect that countless other films and video games have since utilized.

The Matrix Resurrections lands in theaters and on HBO Max for ad-free subscribers on December 22, 2021. It’s the last movie that’ll simultaneously premiere on the streaming service before Warner Bros. reverts back to its theater-first strategy.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

WOW ..... looks like this might be the first sequel movie to outdo all the previous ones! Fantastic ....

You being sarcastic? That looks awful...

Does it?

I didnt overly like reloaded and the turd one was poop.
And then they made the matrix clone poopiter jupiter rising.

This looks OK. So far. I'm intrigued. Don't get me wrong it could be bloody awful.
Everyone asked where can this go when the one has super power can do what he likes, where's his challenge. Well the challenge was in coming up with that seque story and not making one that sucked pants and they failed hard.
So much so they changed gender to hide their shame. OK that's a joke but cmon those sequels were meh. Let's hope this makes amends.

Looks like this one is gonna s-k b-s, because for starters, it looks nothing like a sequel, and that's a huge turn down for the true fans.

Does it?

I didnt overly like reloaded and the turd one was poop.
And then they made the matrix clone poopiter jupiter rising.

This looks OK. So far. I'm intrigued. Don't get me wrong it could be bloody awful.
Everyone asked where can this go when the one has super power can do what he likes, where's his challenge. Well the challenge was in coming up with that seque story and not making one that sucked pants and they failed hard.
So much so they changed gender to hide their shame. OK that's a joke but cmon those sequels were meh. Let's hope this makes amends.

I'm not sure I would say it looks awful.

However I'm getting Star wars Force awaken vibes from it. And that movie was just basically a remake of a new hope. This trailer looks like a reboot of the first movie.

I will need to see more before I can make up my mind.

Looks like this one is gonna s-k b-s, because for starters, it looks nothing like a sequel, and that's a huge turn down for the true fans.
What?
No no no.
Matrix 2 and 3 are fails like alien 3.
And instead of alien 4 or the Prometheus junk they should have made a new alien 3 and apologised.
The matrix 2 should have been redone. But this could potentially erase the naff stuff.
The matrix was amazing but the sequels were pants cash cow crap.

5mfos2.jpg

5mfpsi.jpg

What?
No no no.
And instead of alien 4 or the Prometheus junk they should have made a new alien 3 and apologised.
The matrix 2 should have been redone. But this could potentially erase the naff stuff.
Studios admitting their wrong doing? What fantasy universe do you live in? But seriously it would be nice is they legitimately gave it another go at making Aliens 3...

The fist Matrix was good because it was original, problem with making sequels is that originality has been lost, you know what to expect and the wow factor is gone.

It almost feels this had some wow factor hidden away, although very hard to not see Reeves as John Wick, for F's sake shave the man, but as with all trailers they give away way too much to draw in the simpletons. Don't get me wrong I am intrigue enough to want to see this but it also certainly doesn't have any real appeal other than the fact that it is still a Matrix movie.

I really liked the first Matrix movie it was pretty decent the ones after it were ok but it felt like a cash grab since they basically split the first movie into more parts and time lapsed the movies after the first one to grab way more money from it. Yes if they released the first movie as one big movie and not split them up into more shorter movies people may have gotten bored and restless but hell all of the movies for matrix were done when the first Matrix was released because they broke up the main movie into smaller parts.

Like I said this new Matrix looks like it could be ok as long as they do not put all the woke crap into the movie it should do ok in theatres. I they woke it up then it is an instant flop for me at least it will be. I'm surprised they even kept Neo as a guy and did not replace him as a female like so many other movies have done and failed to do it right.

It's time to unplug John Wick out of the matrix... That's what this feels like lol.

Excited to still see it and give it a shot.

John Wick should shave off his beard to start to look like a quasi-pensioner Neo. And Moss is just too old for the role. But with CGI you have these miraculous resurrections.

Last edited:
What?
No no no.
Honestly, Matrix Reloaded wasn't half-bad. It just fares poorly in comparison to the masterpiece that was the first movie.

As for the new one... I'm just generally skeptical about anything hollywood puts out these days, but the trailer does look good.

People crapping on this movie because "it doesn't look anything like the REAL matrix movies" or "it looks too much like a rehash" etc etc....

You are likley not even fully versed in the world / lore of the matrix and are ignoring / ignorant to the fact that the look SHOULD be different (since the truce made at the end of 3 and the "look" of the matrix at the end of it) as well as the fact that in the world of the matrix MANY times the world has been "repeated" and neo has in fact come about MANY times before.

I know a bit more about the story do to some leaks that the trailer now confirms (anyone notice the reference the "the matrix" within the dialog between him and the other "agent" looking character?) there's a reason why that is being said that not related to the actual matrix we know INSIDE of it and yet not breaking that "4th wall".

I won't spoil anything but to me the "look" and the "repeating" of things is actually cleverly written into the story and based on facts from the previous movie SHOULD be this way.

Look it may still end up sucking for a number of reasons I just don't think anyone making these type of complaints really knows what they are actually talking about and are just betting on it failing from an ignorant perspective.

Edit: also people saying they should of changed his look... He will have a different look (his real world one) and in terms of reality Keanu is much older and without the "John Wick" look his age REALLY shows.

They need him to reflect the difference within the matrix vs reality so it was kinda necessary not only for that but the fact he was shooting John wick 4 at the same time.

If they still stick to the stupid story that "Machines are using human body temperature as the source of energy" can they at least add a scene where Neo beats up both Wachovsky brothers (sisters)?

Just to have one scene where the audience spontaneously starts clapping.

Back