TechSpot

The max range of wireless routers and adapters

By georgek7
Jun 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My living arrangement has it so that my computer is about 25 yards away from the router. I have high speed internet, and if I'm on a laptop right next to the router, I can easily get 30 mb/s. But when I'm at my computer which is 25 yards away, I get speeds of about 8 mb/s or less (often 1 - 2 mb/s).

The router and wireless adapter that I have both seem to be top tier, but I'm not sure:
    http://amzn.to/1pcUvtF
    http://amzn.to/1oiLkbI

My question is, are there any *significantly* better options than the ones I just linked, as far as signal distance? Or is the current technology in routers and wireless adapters limited?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

To directly answer your question: No.

What should help you out: Drop it to 2.4Ghz rather than 5. That will get you increased range, and through that at a fixed range - faster speeds. You'll lose the ability to run 802.11ac and have to fall back to 802.11n, but you'll be happier since you weren't getting ac speeds anyway.

jobeard likes this.
  3. georgek7

georgek7 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 24

I use the 2.4ghz signal, but it's also broadcasting a 5ghz signal as well. Are you suggesting I disable the 5ghz one?

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

Yeah I would at least give it a shot, I don't know enough about how the dual band ones work to say one way or another. But I do know you will get longer range with 2.4 compared to 5.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

That is correct; the 5mhz will have less traffic but higher frequency means shorter distance.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.