The "new improved" Google maps - sucks!

macx

I suppose software engineers have to keep dreaming up "new improved" software
and keep adding features to stay employed, but I sure wish they'd leave something
alone when it works and works well and is relatively easy to operate.

Now the "new improved" Google maps comes up with all these windows that block
the map every time I move the cursor - I don't WANT 99 new features, I was doing fine
the way it was and had it pretty much all figured out.

I suppose there's no way to cut out all that extra garbage?

And I now only get the Lite version - on my small borrowed laptop I've just got Win 7 Starter - is that why? Altho I think it was that way at work, too, with regular Win 7.

I'm not a 17 year old tech wizard - I'm a 68 yr old near retiree who doesn't need to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out how to use some new and improved software that does nothing other than give me frustration and misery. I'm reasonably competent with the normal software apps, but if they have to justify their jobs creating more complexity why can't they leave the existing version alone for us ordinary users?

Last edited:
I know what you mean. You can click on the question mark at the bottom right to bring this up. Then select Return to classic Google Maps. The map will refresh and at the top you'll see "You have switched back to classic...". Select yes so it'll remember.

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

At least a thousand thanks!! I hope enuf people opt out of this nightmare so they get the hint.

I'm going to pass this along to everyone I know.

I suppose software engineers have to keep dreaming up "new improved" software
and keep adding features to stay employed, but I sure wish they'd leave something
alone when it works and works well and is relatively easy to operate.

Now the "new improved" Google maps comes up with all these windows that block
the map every time I move the cursor - I don't WANT 99 new features, I was doing fine
the way it was and had it pretty much all figured out.

I suppose there's no way to cut out all that extra garbage?

And I now only get the Lite version - on my small borrowed laptop I've just got Win 7 Starter - is that why? Altho I think it was that way at work, too, with regular Win 7.

I'm not a 17 year old tech wizard - I'm a 68 yr old near retiree who doesn't need to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out how to use some new and improved software that does nothing other than give me frustration and misery. I'm reasonably competent with the normal software apps, but if they have to justify their jobs creating more complexity why can't they leave the existing version alone for us ordinary users?
Can you explain this "
Google maps comes up with all these windows that block
the map every time I move the cursor" better? I use Google maps daily & have not experienced the probems you mention. I'm on W7 too.

No you can't. Selecting the classic google maps now automatically gives you google maps lite!!!

Google maps lite is even worse than the new google maps! And it's slower! How can it be lite than slower.
These new maps and features totally suck. First alternative that gets provided and I'll be switching.

Google, put the old classic maps on a separate URL or something.

Any suggestions for a maps alternative? I have had enough of this google lite maps crap

I tried them all. AT THE MOMENT Yahoo maps seems to work the best, not slow, or giving your gray boxes or unidentified streets when you zoom.
Who knows, next week.
Seems to be a trend nowadays to make software, or even web pages, more and more un-usable.

Back