TechSpot

The next wave of computing is perceptual

By Jos
Jul 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you can visualize controlling your computer merely by using your voice or a wave of your hand, rather than a mouse, a keyboard, or even a touchscreen, then you can see just the beginnings of what perceptual computing is...

Read more

2. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +27

Gabe is starting to look like Santa Claus...

If only Steam Summer Sale could be much cheaper. :D

3. I find pressing a button to be quite okay. I have a solar powered keyboard too so no worries about batteries etc. So why do I need or want any of this stuff ?

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,187   +244

Because not everyone is called guest and wants what guest wants.

m4a4 and H3llion like this.
  5. swapnil sood

swapnil sood TS Rookie

Can I use it
    can I create it
    it is difficult

6. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

I just noticed it today:
    is the "controller" worn by tom cruise an advanced bowling accessory? :)

7. You almost ruined it for me :eek: , but I checked - Tom Cruise's controller would (as a bowling glove) protect the wrong fingers.

8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,146   +737

The mouse and keyboard work pretty well. I don't want to have to wave my arm around to use my PC, and I sure don't want my entire office to have voice operated computers.

If there was one technology I'd like to see it's eye-tracking. I can move my eyes faster and more accurately than I can move a mouse cursor. Split my spacebar into 3 keys, make the middle a space, the right key is a left click and the left key is a right click...(or reverse it if you prefer) and let my eyes replace my movement of the mouse. I can then use the keyboard and 'mouse' without taking my hands off the keyboard. Moving my eyes won't affect what I'm typing because I have to still click with my fingers.

9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,367   +405

"The mouse and keyboard work pretty well. I don't want to have to wave my arm around to use my PC, and I sure don't want my entire office to have voice operated computers."

Exactly. I also don't mind getting up off my fat you-know-what to turn on/off the lights either. I can see where some of these perceptual computing ideas might come in handy in a manufacturing or even medical environment. But for day-to-day home use? More annoyance (and frankly more work) than what's currently available. Can you imagine having a house full of rambunctious kids and having your appliances, lights and TV's doing all sorts of things because of the kids jumping around and yelling? LOL...

10. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,970   +586

In the meantime, we have been fed promises from Leap Motion for how long now? I gave up waiting...

11. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

I can imagine it a bit this is easy for us acquainted with tech but for others who still cant figure out which remote is which where to point or what so many buttons do this is more confusion they lift the remote up to operate and something has already happened they say something again a voice speaks back to them they just won't understand.

12. I remember seeing a web article recently where someone commented that folk kept coming to them wanting an interface that looks like Minority Report's. And here we are with an article & a giant pic of tom cruise.

Issue is, it looks good in the movies, but is holding your arms out ahead of you & windmilling about for an 8hr workday anymore ergonomic or sensible over what we got now? Or is this a case of clueless point-haired people saying "that tom cruise movie sure had a cool looking computer, give us that!"

13. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

The Myo looks to be really cool.

14. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

Huh really? yeah a few months Ray Kurzwell(google) said in 2045 they can upload your brain onto a computer and modify your dna through computer code...This sounds crazy but really look it up.

15. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,054   +918

As much as I love this technology, I feel like it will make humans more lazy...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.