The number of drone complaints in the UK are rising fast

midian182

Staff member

As drones get increasingly cheaper, their presence is becoming more widespread. But not everyone welcomes the increasing popularity of UAVs. They seem to be a particular annoyance to those in the UK, where the number of reports to police involving drones have increased twelve-fold over the last two years.

Data obtained by the Press Association show that allegations ranging from spying and burglary to near-misses and contraband smuggling are rising at an amazing rate. In 2014, there were just 283 reported drone incidents during the entire year. In 2015, the figure jumped to 1237, and last year it hit 3456 – equal to around ten every day. The true figures may be even higher, as information for all police forces was not available.

Smuggling drugs into prisons using drones is a common problem in some parts of the UK. Last year, Daniel Kelly became the first person to be jailed for using a drone to get contraband (tobacco and psychoactive drug Spice) into the hands of a prisoner.

Using drones to spy on neighbors is another regular complaint. One incident last August saw a drone repeatedly flown over a garden where teenage girls were sunbathing. “Previously you had a hedge, you had a wall and you could do whatever you wanted in your garden without people disturbing you,” said Birmingham professor, David H Dunn. “That has changed because of drones.”

Near-misses are on the up; a problem that some authorities worry could result in a tragedy. A police investigation was carried out last year after what was thought to be a drone collided with a British Airways Airbus A320, but it later turned out that the object was most likely a plastic bag.

The sharp rise means the UK’s Department for Transport is now looking at bringing in new measures to curb reported drone incidents, including mandatory registration, tougher penalties for flying in no-fly zones, and making the misuse of UAVs a criminal offense.

Permalink to story.

The world spins and technologies change things, that's a simple fact of life these days.

We really are a nation of complaining bastards. :(

"Previously you had a hedge, you had a wall and you could do whatever you wanted in your garden without people disturbing you,”

Bullshit hedges have holes in them never mind the fact that rather a lot of property's are more than one stories tall and attached to other houses pretty much negating any implied privacy you think you may have had.

Blame those who use drones for peeping!
Like the government?

"They" like to peep on the general public that's pretty much a given hence the number of CCTV cameras in our nation.

And they have more drones than the average enthusiast does that's a given. ;)

I find the continuous issue of contraband getting into prison perplexing. You have the technology to spy on the whole world yet you can build a prison to keep things and people separate from passing in and out?

The hobby is quickly becoming less and less enjoyable.
Having to watch your back while flying or preparing to be confronted at any moment by an ignorant annoyed twit has really sucked the fun out of flying.

It won't be long before they're practically banned everywhere.

Dji needs to throw some lobbying money at the right people. Let legal bribery do some good for a change.

I find the continuous issue of contraband getting into prison perplexing. You have the technology to spy on the whole world yet you can build a prison to keep things and people separate from passing in and out?
Fact of the matter is that most contraband that enters into our gaols does so by way of the prison staff ether willingly or by coercion. Plus the same thing can be achieved using hollowed out tennis balls and a catapult.

Fact of the matter is that most contraband that enters into our gaols does so by way of the prison staff ether willingly or by coercion. Plus the same thing can be achieved using hollowed out tennis balls and a catapult.

May be the prisons need to be more strict on this issue. If contraband is discovered then hole in the ground for your remaining sentence. Sealed prisons can prevent airborne means but can't deal with staff transporting.

May be the prisons need to be more strict on this issue. If contraband is discovered then hole in the ground for your remaining sentence. Sealed prisons can prevent airborne means but can't deal with staff transporting.
True but the fact of the matter is that if some guy bumped into you on the way home from work, started showing pictures of where your kids go to school, or where your wife works, then suggested that you were quietly to look the other way at work while certain things happened or something very bad may happen to the ones that you love would you really not do as the wish?

Most people are apt to take the easy option. And that's only one of the ways that these people have been know to be influenced. Then there are the screws that do so for the cash monies.

Fact is where ever we have Prisons there will always be corruption just down to the very nature of the industry. Prisons are designed to stop people getting out, unfortunately getting in or getting stuff in is not really that hard to accomplish.

The hobby is quickly becoming less and less enjoyable.
Having to watch your back while flying or preparing to be confronted at any moment by an ignorant annoyed twit has really sucked the fun out of flying.

It won't be long before they're practically banned everywhere.

Dji needs to throw some lobbying money at the right people. Let legal bribery do some good for a change.

I've been in the R/C Hobby for years and anyone new to the hobby had to undergo formal training and become a member of the air-club, this would ensure they were educated on the basics of flight, safety and maintenance.

I miss those old days, because everyone took the safety aspect very seriously and could still enjoy the hobby. On the other hand, drones are very affordable and most importantly very easy to take to the skies without any proper training, and that's where the problem lies here.

I wish the regulations were much more tougher and made it more difficult for people to buy a drone without any formal training.

I've been in the R/C Hobby for years and anyone new to the hobby had to undergo formal training and become a member of the air-club, this would ensure they were educated on the basics of flight, safety and maintenance.

I miss those old days, because everyone took the safety aspect very seriously and could still enjoy the hobby. On the other hand, drones are very affordable and most importantly very easy to take to the skies without any proper training, and that's where the problem lies here.

I wish the regulations were much more tougher and made it more difficult for people to buy a drone without any formal training.
More rules and regulations equate to even more gooberment control over us. :(

What happened to common sense and "I'm free to do what I want, and have a good time, any old time" as long as there is no malicious intent???

This world needs less rules and fewer bureaucratic nightmares not more by way of more rules and regulation. People dont want them and they generally end up costing the tax payer even more cash monies.

More rules and regulations equate to even more gooberment control over us. :(

What happened to common sense and "I'm free to do what I want, and have a good time, any old time" as long as there is no malicious intent???

This world needs less rules and fewer bureaucratic nightmares not more by way of more rules and regulation. People dont want them and they generally end up costing the tax payer even more cash monies.

What happened to common sense? Well, most of the drone incidents/accidents that I've seen, were caused by operators that didn't know how to apply common sense. Rule #1 A drone mustn't be flown over a populated area, and people still fly their drones over populated area. They are clearly breaking the rules and not using common sense at all.

Now because of this "I'm free to do what I want attitude", its only causing more problems for certified drone operators, the rules are getting tougher, the government is imposing more laws and regulations. You know, its not hard to follow rules and use common sense, but when they are not being followed, or applied it makes difficult for everyone else to enjoy the hobby.

It infuriates the f*cker out of me, when I see a drone operator not following the rules, or putting other people's lives in risk or danger. Hence, why I said new users should undergo training and learn how to operate a drone safely.

Back