The Nvidia RTX 4080 is Newegg's best-selling GPU, but the card doesn't make Amazon's top...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! We've seen plenty of reports about weak RTX 4080 sales, but is Nvidia's expensive Lovelace product really that unpopular? Not according to Newegg, whose list of top-selling graphics cards is topped by the RTX 4080. Amazon, however, has some very different figures.

The RTX 4080 started life with a rocky launch. Despite the card's power, it appeared that the $1,200 MSRP proved a hard sell for gamers, especially during the current economic climate in which consumers are prioritizing spending on essentials, and shipments of everything from PCs to smartphones are crashing.

The RTX 4080 was so unpopular that even scalpers couldn't sell them above MSRP, leading to sites such as Newegg refusing to allow refunds for the cards. However, according to the popular hardware retailer (via Tom's Hardware), an RTX 4080 is currently its best-selling card.

The site's list of best-selling GPUs is topped by the Gigabyte Gaming OC GeForce RTX 4080, priced at $1,459. Another RTX 4080, the Gigabyte Eagle OC that sells for $1,399, is in seventh place, while the MSI Gaming RTX 4080 ($1,619) is eighth and the Asus TUF RTX 4080 is tenth.

Another pretty surprising entry in the top five is the Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4090 in third, which has a $2,199 price tag. The flagship has been more popular than the RTX 4080, but seeing it this high is unexpected, and it's been marked as Out of Stock in the last few hours.

The rest of Newegg's chart is filled with the mid-range GPUs that have been climbing up the Steam Survey recently, including the RTX 3060, RTX 3050, and Radeon RX 6600.

So, are reports of the RTX 4080's poor sales exaggerated? Not according to Amazon. Its top-selling GPU chart consists mostly of RTX 3060 cards. The highest-placed RTX 4080, meanwhile, is right down in 23rd, and the highest RTX 4090 is twelfth.

There are a few explanations here. Amazon is a more popular destination for casual gamers looking for mid-range to low-end cards, while the more hardcore crowd often head to Newegg. Most people seem inclined to trust Amazon's list, which is automatically updated hourly, but the lack of unit sales from either retailer makes it hard to judge the card's popularity. Then there's the conspiracists' view, who say Newegg is artificially pushing the RTX 4080 up the charts in order to sell more of its excess inventory.

We'd long heard that the Radeon RX 7900 XTX ($999) and Radeon RX 7900 XT ($899) would be many gamers' choices because of their low prices, but they're both near the bottom of Newegg's list. On Amazon, the RX 7900 XTX is 28th, and the XT is 33rd, both lower than the RTX 4080. But AMD's RDNA 3 line only arrived recently, and the company has 200,000 units ready for this quarter, so they could soon rise up the ranks.

Permalink to story.

I doubt that actual gamers are the reason for the 4080 to hold top spots on Newegg.

It took my local Micro Center just over two weeks to sell their stock of 4080s. I don't know how many they got to start with, but I do know that at the end of the week after the card released, they still had around 7-8 dozen 4080s on stock....just sitting on the shelves. It took another 9 or 10 days from there to sell them all.

You simply can’t use the sales of a specific card to talk about the sales of a type of card (e.g., 3080).

They are *not* comparable.

I had a bit of savings stashed away and I've pulled the trigger on a 4090.
Arrived yesterday, what an absolute monster of a card. Replaces a 1080Ti nicely.
Sometimes it's nice to have the best and that should certainly keep you going for a few years (as long as you plug it in properly!!).
I bought a 3090 FE at launch just before the world went nuts - I thought it was huge - some of the 4090s coming out now dwarf it!

Remember how long we were waiting for previous-gen GPUs to drop in price? Well, these ones are not used for crypto mining, the pandemic is pretty much over and stocks should be fine, right? So, what is the excuse this time? It doesn't exist. These GPUs come at inflated prices by default and will never drop. Okay, the 60/70 cards are not out yet so there is still some hope, but I doubt they will make sense for the average person considering where things are heading.

It seems that this could be about buyer's preference of where they shop for computer parts, not really about sales rank of any particular item.

I'd guess that I'm among many who choose Newegg as their first choice of supplier for computer parts. I won't generally buy from Amazon, unless Newegg doesn't have it. For non electronics related items it's Amazon or Walmart.

I'm not entirely "sold" on Newegg trying to turn itself into Amazon, as a full service, all category seller.

Micro Center is great for walk in purchases like CPU/board combos. Their "Inland" store brand stuff is dirt cheap and works forever, or until you drop it 20 times, whichever comes first

Not so with Newegg's "Rosewill" store brand, which is pure garbage. (Note: At least with respect to the trinkets I've purchased under that marque).

I'm right down the NJ turnpike from B & H Photo who also sells computer components. For me, what they call, "free expedited shipping", (UPS Ground), is, for all intents and purposes, "overnight". (Call by 4:00 PM, it will be on my doorstep the next afternoon).

Last edited:
Remember how long we were waiting for previous-gen GPUs to drop in price? Well, these ones are not used for crypto mining, the pandemic is pretty much over and stocks should be fine, right? So, what is the excuse this time? It doesn't exist. These GPUs come at inflated prices by default and will never drop.
Are you a gamer? If so, gamers as a group, have brought these prices on themselves. When Huang saw that many were willing to pay double or more for his cards, I'm pretty sure he knew that he could "scalp the scalpers", and put more money into his pocket, instead of theirs.

This is sound reasoning; "if people were willing to pay double MSRP for my cards, why shouldn't I put a couple of hundred extra into my bank account.

Gaming addiction seems to have a comparison to heroin addiction. The first dose is near free, (IGP), but after you're hooked, the price goes up. And you always seem to need more (FPS), to get the same high as before.

Yeah,
-My Microcenter sold out of 7900 series... but has had 4080 stock for 3 weeks now. (14 4080's currently).
-Newegg is SOLD OUT of 7900 series... but has had 4080 stock for 3 weeks now.
-Best Buy (Locally) is sold out of 7900 Series... but my local store has 12 4080's.

I have never shopped at Amazon... and have no input of their metrics. What worries me, is why NewEgg is lying (My NE account is 19 years old) ... or did their numbers not include 7900 release..

Yeah,
-My Microcenter sold out of 7900 series... but has had 4080 stock for 3 weeks now. (14 4080's currently).
-Newegg is SOLD OUT of 7900 series... but has had 4080 stock for 3 weeks now.
-Best Buy (Locally) is sold out of 7900 Series... but my local store has 12 4080's.
What I've been able to "glean" from the rumor mill, is AMD simply didn't build, or wasn't able to build, enough of them to meet potential demand.

If that's the case, the 7900's sales ranking is predicated solely on available units sold, versus the 4080's number sold.

It is a good question, (although very hard answer to determine), how many of those 4080 buyers would have opted for the AMD offerings instead.

What I've been able to "glean" from the rumor mill, is AMD simply didn't build, or wasn't able to build, enough of them to meet potential demand.

If that's the case, the 7900's sales ranking is predicated solely on available units sold, versus the 4080's number sold.

It is a good question, (although very hard answer to determine), how many of those 4080 buyers would have opted for the AMD offerings instead.

WHat exactly are you gleaning...?

-AMD Reportedly Shipping 200,000 RDNA 3 “Navi 31′ GPUs For Radeon RX 7900 XTX & RX 7900 XT In Q4 2022
•Dec 11, 2022 06:22 PM EST

-AMD Radeon RX 7900 ‘RDNA 3’ Graphics Cards To Have Similar or Better Supply Than NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series At Launch
•Nov 21, 2022 02:32 AM EST

-Nobody Wants NVIDIA’s $1199 US GeForce RTX 4080: Despite Lower Shipments, Retailers & Stores Are Stocked With Cards
•Nov 19, 2022 12:18 AM EST

-NVIDIA Confirms User-Error As The Main Reason of 16-Pin 12VHPWR Cable Issues, Only 50 of 125,000 Units Melted So Far
•Nov 18, 2022 10:43 PM EST

WHat exactly are you gleaning...?
That AMD didn't build enough 7900s or they wouldn't be "sold out of them".

Other than that, I can only assume, if they're "lying to you", it's only so you can come back here and take it out on me.

BTW, do you place such a value on your own notoriety, that you believe they're lying directly to you, or just gaming addicts in general?

Have you looked for scalped 7900s? I couldn't be bothered, but perhaps AMD cards are being targeted this time around. Again IDK & IDC.

FWIW : "AMD Reportedly Shipping 200,000 RDNA 3" "Shipping" is the progressive tense of the verb, "to ship". "Shipped", would be the past tense, as in, "they've already left". Both of which are exclusive of, "received by distributors", or, "already on store shelves"

All things being considered, they could possibly be on a container ship in the middle of the Port of Los Angeles. Notice also, "could possibly be", is a conditional compound verb. Just so you don't come back and say, "cranky tried to claim that's what happened".

While we're at it, let's take a closer look at this statement:

AMD Reportedly Shipping 200,000 RDNA 3 “Navi 31′ GPUs For Radeon RX 7900 XTX & RX 7900 XT In Q4 2022

To the best of my rather minimal understanding, the "RDNA 3 'Navi 31', is the GPU only, not a complete, ready for sale card. So even if the statement is accurate, these GPUs would have to go to AMD's partners, be fitted to a PCB & case, QC'd, boxed up, and then sent to retailers.

Last edited:
My Microcenter has 8 7900XT turds laying around, over a dozen 4080 Bars of gold on the shelves, but no 7900XTX's anywhere to be found. Kind of wanted to start a new build with that free ddr5 thing they have going....

Sometimes it's nice to have the best and that should certainly keep you going for a few years (as long as you plug it in properly!!).
I bought a 3090 FE at launch just before the world went nuts - I thought it was huge - some of the 4090s coming out now dwarf it!
Ah yes, it's absolutely huge, it doesn't even fit in my PC however, I've got a full custom loop currently so I also ordered EKWB's waterblock, whenever that arrives, I'll actually be able to use it!
I hope you aren't using that with a CPU from 5years ago lol
I am indeed! The classic 8700K. Not for long (hopefully). I've been building a new rig for the last few months but two things have stopped me. The availability of ATX 3.0 PSU's and AMD's latest 3D V-cache CPU's. Hopefully both are resolved early next year and then I can just move the 4090 over.

Are you a gamer? If so, gamers as a group, have brought these prices on themselves. When Huang saw that many were willing to pay double or more for his cards, I'm pretty sure he knew that he could "scalp the scalpers", and put more money into his pocket, instead of theirs.

This is sound reasoning; "if people were willing to pay double MSRP for my cards, why shouldn't I put a couple of hundred extra into my bank account.

Gaming addiction seems to have a comparison to heroin addiction. The first dose is near free, (IGP), but after you're hooked, the price goes up. And you always seem to need more (FPS), to get the same high as before.
The reasoning is sound, I repeated that myself here many times, but I don't participate in buying "the latest thing". The analogy is kinda off, iGPU is not free and is incapable of any kind of gaming, maybe until recently, but I get the point.

The analogy is kinda off, iGPU is not free and is incapable of any kind of gaming, maybe until recently, but I get the point.
No, technically the IGPU is not "free" per se. However, Intel's long past practice was to offer, "P" or "G" chipsets. The "P", (Performance) boards, were as a rule, more expensive than their "G" offerings, (w/IGP). So, at the very least, IGP could be considered a "hidden charge", which held true until recently, when they offered "F" model CPUs. Those are, (IMHO), "penny wise and pound foolish", for a number of reasons.

As for my little allegory, I based it in an old superstition about marijuana being the first step toward a life of heroin addiction. I'll cop to taking a bit of artistic license in my portrayal. I was picturing someone starting out playing "Candy Crush" on their phone, which led to an ever evolving "AAA" title addiction. To be fair, I've never heard of Candy Crush players "swatting one another", but the same cannot be said for AAA title addicts.

So, it does mostly track, but you do have to add in a bit of, "worst case scenario" imagery to embrace it. :rolleyes:

As for buying "the latest and greatest", or for that matter, buying any VGA in a green box, I was brutally chastised in open forum for buying an Asus "Tuff" GTX-1660 ti for $210.00. ($70.00 below release price). It turns out I could have had "26% more performance from something in a red box for the same price. So, I did some figurin'. If the 1660 is 90% more than I need, then, adding 26% more, would have given me 116% more than I need. Whoopee! It's horrifying the degradation and loss of status one must endure for having an addiction to green boxes. (At least here at Techspot). :rolleyes:

That AMD didn't build enough 7900s or they wouldn't be "sold out of them".

Other than that, I can only assume, if they're "lying to you", it's only so you can come back here and take it out on me.

BTW, do you place such a value on your own notoriety, that you believe they're lying directly to you, or just gaming addicts in general?

Have you looked for scalped 7900s? I couldn't be bothered, but perhaps AMD cards are being targeted this time around. Again IDK & IDC.

FWIW : "AMD Reportedly Shipping 200,000 RDNA 3" "Shipping" is the progressive tense of the verb, "to ship". "Shipped", would be the past tense, as in, "they've already left". Both of which are exclusive of, "received by distributors", or, "already on store shelves"

All things being considered, they could possibly be on a container ship in the middle of the Port of Los Angeles. Notice also, "could possibly be", is a conditional compound verb. Just so you don't come back and say, "cranky tried to claim that's what happened".

While we're at it, let's take a closer look at this statement:

AMD Reportedly Shipping 200,000 RDNA 3 “Navi 31′ GPUs For Radeon RX 7900 XTX & RX 7900 XT In Q4 2022

To the best of my rather minimal understanding, the "RDNA 3 'Navi 31', is the GPU only, not a complete, ready for sale card. So even if the statement is accurate, these GPUs would have to go to AMD's partners, be fitted to a PCB & case, QC'd, boxed up, and then sent to retailers.

No.... you stated - "What I've been able to "glean" from the rumor mill.."

So instead of insulting you and asking where you gleaned all that mis-information, I simply provided you with what EVERYONE else in the Gaming industry was gleaning.... bcz they were reporting on news.

AMD reported that they would have many cards... and they did... and they are now all SOLD OUT>

Glean that for a while^.
I even included dates.. to show chronological order of how we've been receiving information... that you didn't glean anything from. You just make stuff up... just like you are saying there could be many AMD cards sitting in shipping containers at ports... or scalpers.

Instead of admitting to yourself, that AMD shipped and sold more 7900 series, than nVidia has 4080's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back