TechSpot

The original Blue Screen of Death was written by Steve Ballmer

By Scorpus
Sep 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Most long-time users of Windows have probably witnessed a few Blue Screens of Death (BSODs) in their time using the operating system. But one thing you probably didn't know (until you read the title of this article), is that former...

Read more

misor likes this.
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

LOL...now that's an interesting bit of PC technology trivia.

That guy was annoying us from day one. ;)

3. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 910   +386

So, besides making the "Crazy Eddie" type commercials, running around on stage sweating a gallon of water, the BSOD was one of his other "achievement"....classic!

4. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +11

Long live steve ballmer imo

5. Great - so now I can give it it's true name - Balmer's Screen Of Death - and perhaps call Win8 will be known as BKOD - Balmers kiss of death.

6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

I did not know steve ballmer is a 'coder'.

7. If stopped responding to the system how send to system ESC or ENTER keystroke?

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

I think you missed the point of the BSOD. BSOD is triggered and allows the user to respond upon conditions that make it impossible for the user to respond. Not all errors trigger a BSOD, which is when system freezes are experienced.

9. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

I'd rather see a blue screen than my computer stay running and damage hardware.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,695   +1,884

The "Blue Screen of Death", it's, "the gift that keeps on giving".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  11. turismozilla

turismozilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 66   +12

Ballmer Screen Of Death.

12. He created the message, not the crashes that prompt the message.

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

No one has made that insinuation. However the message itself would be useless, without error traps to trigger the message. So it is not just a message that was created.

14. Not buying this story. Sounds like one for The Onion.

15. This story is false.

That is to say, this is not the BSOD. Yes, it's blue, but the article's writer didn't actually bother to read, it seems.

16. Nope, BSOD was for a hardware failure that was unrecoverable, what this report is posting about is the CTRL+ALT+DEL Dialogue, not the BSOD, which allows you to recover from application level errors.