The site duplicates my text and repeats the entire 'post' after my edits

mike1959

Hi, I find that if I make an edit to my text, the entire text is duplicated underneath the first one. So that if I make, say, three alterations/edits, my post will be repeated three more times.
Also if I type a letter 'I' as the first letter of a word, the site's software changes it to a capital.
Not sure if any of this has been noted by other writers, hope it helps.

I haven't seen either issue happening myself. Does this duplicate text appear immediately as soon as you click on the "Edit" button?

This capital 'I' thing, does it do this only when you edit or anytime? Could it be some kind of auto correct software or add on to your browser?

Re, the lower case to upper case problem, it happens when I am typing the initials for 'internet protocol', so I type 'I.p.' but after I post the text to the site it then reads 'l.p'.
(I can't get the initials to show properly in this text either, I am typing the initial letters of 'internet protocol, HERE, I.p. ) It appears to have done the same again.
Re. the duplication of post, typically I will make an edit to my text, click on 'save changes', now I read the first version followed by the second, edited version.
Logic says I am posting my text twice but I will test this again, and report back.
(Yes it's done it again.)

I've seen a few other members mention this duplication in various posts in the forums so it's not just you.

Me too. The more you edit, the more 'copies' appear from nowhere. Thankfully, if you refresh the site, only the original post remains. Weird and (not) wonderful. I also get a large blank space and another horizontal line across the topic, rather as though the extra copies are taking up invisible space. Mind you, that space does NOT disappear after refresh.
I'm using Firefox 42.0 by the way.

Last edited:
It's not actually duplicating the post, it is more of a ghosting effect. When you see this refresh the page and the original ghosted comment will disappear.

It's not actually duplicating the post, it is more of a ghosting effect. When you see this refresh the page and the original ghosted comment will disappear.
Yeah, I was had badly by that last night. I yanked the post itself, thinking it was a duplicate. The software used to do that 'ghost post' thing once in a while. Now it seems quite a bit more frequent.

I'm thinking it's more likely to do this after an edit, than on the OP.

EDIT: What it's actually doing, is displaying the reversion copy on the page, instead of only on the scratch disc.

After I add this comment, I should be up to 4 !! copies on the forum page.

Last edited:
Just to add I am using Firefox 42.0 also.
As near as I can determine, FF-42 was released November 3, 2015. It's actually due to expire 2 days hence. If this just started, it's (most likely), a question of the site not playing nicely with the browser, not the other way around.

Overall, this seems to be an algorithm not unlike Photoshop, or perhaps M$ Word, where you can have many levels of history. In the case of Photoshop, you can select a "scratch disc" location, for memory overflow.

However, when forum software is working properly, the user should only be able to go back one step. Really not even that, just accept change / keep as is.

As my post #7 above progressed, I was able to maintain 4 separate revisions on the page, a "post" per edit, so to speak. Which sort of implies the website is using the browser's cache as the "scratch disk", instead of the server's storage.

I'm getting the issue in Chrome when editing a post (with AJAX, inline editing) and I know the bug was introduced recently when we fixed post linking/scroll, so that when you go directly to a post within a thread, the scroll limit goes down correctly, accounting for the fixed header on top. Since there is no official fix I applied a workaround, so now I have to find a workaround for the workaround ;)

At the same time as this bug appeared, (and as I also reported above post#5), we are getting an extra horizontal line between a variable amount of space at intervals down a post. On just one occasion, this was seen filled with an advert, but only the one time. At this very moment, there are spaces like this in this topic, before posts 5 and 14. Neither show an advert.

At this time, the one above post#14 is showing a moving ad for LEMSIP. From memory, the one previous time I saw an advert in a different topic, it was also a moving image, about I think - a Skoda motorcar.

Last edited:
My Firefox has now updated to 43.0, the editing issue is still happening, I.e. after editing my text, the previous version is still there, but as noted above, refreshing the page with F5 does clear it, leaving the last (correct) version on screen.
(But I still get the problem with my lower-case I ("eye") showing as a capital letter after I post it to the site. Of course it could be a problem here with my keyboard or similar, will try a few alternatives.) Testing; italic involve ice if invisible I I I
(The line above looks fine to me after posting, except the last three letters which have been converted to captals.)

Last edited:
FYI, it's not a browser problem, or user-end one for that matter. It is a forum bug we have to fix :)

Despite the fact I can't program to save my life, the last programming language I even attempted to learn was Atari Basic, plus I'm completely and abundantly alone in thinking I know it all, I'm still convinced (*) the change log is targeted to the page instead of a temp file on a drive.

(*) I know what you're thinking, I'm using "convinced" as a euphemism for, "delusional"...:D

Despite the fact I'm completely and abundantly alone in thinking I know it all, I'm still convinced the change log is targeted to the page instead of a temp file on a drive....:D

I DO have a professional programming background, and, Sir, your suggestion makes perfect sense (y)..... Except the wording is probably 'working copy' rather than 'change log'

Anyway, this post is not quite to congratulate you, it is mostly to check that the problem has been eradicated by the experts. But alas no, they must still be too full of Xmas spirit (or beer).

Last edited:
Back