The Windows Vista Beta 2 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

Maybe it will be a good idea to make a thred on windows vista, because i have a fealing, as vista becomes more pubilcly available, there will be many threads on it

So feal free to post anything about the vista beta

Mods if this doesnt work, delete it if you like

i may wait to dload it anyways becuase im gonna need a pc to put it on or a new hdd, If i get a new hdd (sata2) will i jsut be able to partition and install or do i have to get rid of xp (this is what ive heard) Im new to duel booting windows OSes so if someone can fill me in THx

I downloaded the 64bit version but its only 13mb. Doesnt sound right since the 32bit version is 3 gigs.

as swker98 advised me in another thread to post here, I get no sound.... I have know clue about my soundcard...Such as what makes it and everything. It just an old cheap soundcard.
And CrossFire851, i got same versoin as you..

Another question, When more free beta's come out, will we be able to upgrade instead of A fresh install?

well about your sound, go to your sound card makers website and see if the offer windows vista drivers ( howerver some do not yet)

edit: i read your post better, whgy dont you go to the "Message for all newcommers" post and dload the programme and it give you tuns of info on your system including most times your sohuld card

quick question about duel booting with vista, on the same hdd as xp but different partition, will i need a 3rd party boot maniger or will i just get a promp on whitch one to load??? thanks

swker98 said:
well about your sound, go to your sound card makers website and see if the offer windows vista drivers ( howerver some do not yet)

I have no clue wat the manufacture is.... Is there a sofware that will tell you?

i read your post better, whgy dont you go to the "Message for all newcommers" post and dload the programme and it give you tuns of info on your system including most times your sohuld card

For dual-booting just boot up the computer with the Vista disk and it will give you a list of the partitions on your hard drive and you just pick the one you want to use. When you're done you'll have the options of booting into either one.

quick question, when i installed linux i think it asked me if i would like to make a partition, will windows vista do this or do i need a 3rd party partition manager??

thanks

I GOT A KWIK Q'S. WIll i be able to get updates on vista beta 2? becaues i tried and it gets this error. !?

Anyone having luck installing the 64bit version?

I get the quick "loading setup files" which it completes in about 30 seconds, then it moves to the "copyright 2006 microsoft" with the moving bar, as if it is loading but it stays there forever. The bar keeps moving, but I have waited up to 30 mins and it never gets past that.

(yes, I have a 64bit CPU)

DonNagual said:
Anyone having luck installing the 64bit version?
Yes.

I get the quick "loading setup files" which it completes in about 30 seconds, then it moves to the "copyright 2006 microsoft" with the moving bar, as if it is loading but it stays there forever. The bar keeps moving, but I have waited up to 30 mins and it never gets past that.
I guess you installed it to a SATA drive?

Does it boot in safe mode?

No, I don't even get that far.

I boot up from DVD, then it freezes up right at the beginning, before any installation options are presented to me.

Well, I shouldn't say "freezes" maybe. The process bar always moves, but no HDD activity.

I am wondering if it doesn't like my ram. Generic Samsung PC3200. The only other thing I can think it might be is the instal file I downloaded is somehow corrupt. I also ordered the DVD from Microsoft, so we'll see if the same thing happens when I get their DVD.

mabe it doesnt recognise your sata drive controler or the ram could be a proelem to. lets not forget this is BETA

i have a quick question to

i jsut burnt the dvd for vista (32 bit) and i am wondering if the vista installer lets your partiton your drive without eraceing it

i have an 80gb hatchi with about 30 gb free so im wondering if i can partition about 15 gb to vista and duel boot

thansk

Anyone installed the 64bit version? I have it burned but I think I will install it on a older IDE drive. Will it fit on a 6.4gig drive?

I also install Vista Ultimate build 5384 x32. Went flawlessly. Looks sweet.

Here are some pictures I took of the initial install with no customizing.

http://www.zacksdomain.com/vista

The JPGs that is, never mind the rest of the files.

So far I like it and everything, some of the new features are like wizbang OOO, AAAA, but I imagine, just like "Security Center" now, it'll soon become the first things you turn off on a new install.
You know? I like the security warning that pops up and locks the screen until you allow something, but I can see how that will become increasingly annoying to deal with while you are trying to work.

And the new interface, I haven't decided yet if that will increase or decrease productivity. Cause now I can zip around Windows and go where I need in seconds. But in Vista it seems the layouts might be trickier to get around in. I'm sure that will change with time, I'll get faster :)

The sidebar is cool, but I'm sure that, too, will be one of the first things to go as time goes on. Except for the notepad and currency calc, I don't have a use for the rest. And I like their little game with the 15 numbers, I build a game like that in Visual Basic, I beat theres in like 50 seconds or something close.

Anyway, I'm having fun with it, though I probably will NOT be an early adopter when it hits the shelves. I'll wait for the first service pack and until all the software doesn't have "beta" on the name. Such as their IE and Media Player.

Was playing around with the built-in "Media Center", was able to play a DVD, though playback functions were weird. When fast forwarding and rewinding, the video would slow and become out of sync with the audio, and pausing and playing around with it would get it back in time.

swker98 said:
i have a quick question to

i jsut burnt the dvd for vista (32 bit) and i am wondering if the vista installer lets your partiton your drive without eraceing it

i have an 80gb hatchi with about 30 gb free so im wondering if i can partition about 15 gb to vista and duel boot

thansk

anyone ?????

It automaticly installs a duel-boot dos batch file that lets you go into wich ever windows you want(xp, Vista).

But I have mine on two seperate drives. Also Vista does not let you install direct x 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back