Thermal pads vs thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnomeofdeath

Is there any real difference between the two? The pads are so much easier, I have trouble getting a unified layer of paste to apply properly. I know the differences in manufactures. The reason I ask is I have an AMD64 3700+ with a Zalman CNPS7000B cooler and my temps are +50 under load. This seems too high for me, especially since I am not even overclocking her yet. Thanks for all your help.

paste is waaay better. Artic silver 5 over a pad will probably drops temps 7 degrees.

Yes, as said paste is alot more effective. It is really not that hard to use it just takes a little work.

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste will definately beat a thermal pad anyday.

With paste, it is not hard to use at all. After you squeeze some paste out, you don't need to shape it into a thin-layer. Just put a small dab in the middle of the Processor chip and fasten the HSF on, it will spread.

Are you sure it is okay to put artic silver over a pad? I am not sure ,however I think you either use a pad or paste?? Any Help On This

just put the paste, not the pad
i think he meant that the paste will work better than a pad

and yes make sure you clean the paste/pad off before replacing always

I've found 99% Isopropyl Alcohol takes the pads off very easily, it also cleans up paste too.

The pad is the quick and dirty way. Paste is going to get you much better results. The reasoning is that the paste actually fills in the tiny crevices and imperfections in the chip and the heatsink, therefore giving you a lot better contact between the chip and the heatsink surface. Definitely go with the paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back