Thermal paste on cpu pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a amd 64 3700+ san diego core, and the coolermaster aquagate. However after building teh computer I found the motherboard was faulty, but when taking the processor out some of the paste got on some of the pins. Would this of damaged my processor??? (I have no idea if it works cos teh new mobo hasn't come, and all I know about the paste is that it is the one that comes with the coolermaster aquagate.

How much paste did you use? Is the paste electrically conductive, if so it could cause problems, if not, then I doubt it's much problem besides a mess.

Rubbing alcohol removes most thermal material pretty well(on a cloth or something, don't pour it on ;)).

I think I used to much however, the layer between the cpu and the heatsink is perfect, its just that some of the paste has gonae down the sides as a result, whihc was fine till I ahd to remove it.

Don't be shy about dousing that baby in Isopropyl. I suggest 99% Isopropyl ($2 a bottle at just about any pharmacy or large grocer), as it is extremely fast drying and a very powerful solvent.

You won't ruin the processor, and it's better to be safe than very, very sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back