These are the expensive adapters you need for the new single-port MacBook

Scorpus

Staff member

macbook apple adapter usb type-c retina macbook

Yesterday, Apple announced the new MacBook, with a 12-inch Retina display and a body so thin it can only accommodate a single USB Type-C connector alongside a 3.5mm audio jack. That's it: the single USB connector is used for both charging and data throughput.

As there is only one main port on the new MacBook, you're probably going to need an arsenal of adapters to connect up your peripherals, displays and more. Apple's got you covered in this department, offering a range of rather expensive adapters to bring back the ports from their older laptops.

macbook apple adapter usb type-c retina macbook

The first adapter is basic, going from USB Type-C to standard USB in a $19 cable. If you want to use more than one device at a time, you'll need one of Apple's Multiport Adapters, which retail for $79 each. One of these adapters features a single USB port, HDMI, and USB Type-C for charging, while a variant swaps out HDMI for VGA.

If you want to attach more than one USB device, or plug in an SD card, or attach a Thunderbolt device, you'll need to purchase another adapter from a third party. If you want to charge the new MacBook while pushing video out to a display, you'll need to fork out the $79 for the Multiport Adapter until a non-official alternative appears.

To many people, having to carry around a selection of adapters on the off-chance you'll need to plug something in is pretty inconvenient. To others, the super-slim 13.1mm body of the MacBook is worth the trade-off in connectivity.

Permalink to story.

I would call on all the Mac users to bring their adapters to the next event and throw them into the anchor.

Major Apple's BS these days: thin is what's new.....invention my a$$... I hope they will thin themselves into complete disappearance, may they continue selling air as they do anyway.

Last edited:
I've gotta hand it to Apple. They are the past masters when it comes to bs, smoke and mirrors. They didn't invent them, they just perfected the art.
Knowing Apple's history of stunts like this....e.g. No radio in an ipad so all music you hear must come from iTunes. No SD cards in phones so you must buy iCloud storage... I'm more disappointed that I didn't think of the adapter scam than I am surprised they'd do something like this. Especially after they pulled something similar with the iPhone 5 and the lightning connector.

Did you see they're actually going to sell a 10k gold iWatch?! What happens in 9 months when the iWatch 2 comes out, or in 2 years when we're on the iWatch 3? Combining a once-a-decade high end jewelry purchase with a piece of planned obsolescence technology is something only Apple would attempt.

Type C is a standard. This will be able to dock with eventual adapters with a plethora of ports. I assume that the design theory in action here is that if a user needs to connect the laptop to external storage, a display, they're probably going to want to charge the unit there too.

Completely ridiculous, I mean they say they are trying to slim things up but this just screams at an attempt to cash in. I just cannot fathom what some people see in these devices...With the total cost of getting one of these and the adaptors I can easily buy a much higher performance laptop with all sorts of bells and whistles while still saving some money.

I don't hate Apple or their products, but man I just get tired of these attempts to make everything more expensive.

As long as Apple doesn't delve into pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, ISP, or oil no one will fault them for being a greedy corporation.

I've gotta hand it to Apple. They are the past masters when it comes to bs, smoke and mirrors. They didn't invent them, they just perfected the art.

Just wait for the lawsuit, Apple will have claimed to invented smoke and mirrors too now, how else could they pull off something so utterly Apple (Apple should be a new term for getting ripped off or being taken advantage of, example, I went to the used car lot and the salesman made a real Apple user out of me, he even sold me on cup holders!)

Apple should start a deposits system for all these stupid accessories and adapters, that way you can return your obsolete Apple crap back to them so they can recycle it properly, not just have it end up in yet another landfill. Those who think USB Type C will make it to the rest of the market are correct, just that Apple will have moved on to a new connector by then...

Which fool pays $79+ for a port which would cost $0.40 to include on the mother board?

Me personally, I'd thicken up the body a fraction in the design process so that I don't have to carry fat expensive adapters around. That's true portability.

This is why I still have my Macintosh Powerbook 5300c.
Apple-Powerbook-5300c-pic-1.jpg

The only great thing about this - at least its using an open standard. expect tons of 3rd-party adapters in the near future.

Should come with a charger with a usb-c pass through as standard or failing that, a second port.

This laptop is not designed to be versatile. I have 2 usb ports, a FireWire 800 port, a MagSafe for charging and a thunderbolt port on my 2012 MacBook pro. Looking like a beast compared to this. Who would have thought the MacBook air would end up looking spoiled for ports - MagSafe and USB - luxury.

This MacBook is for people who want an iPad with a keyboard.

A lot of people in this thread are missing the point of this device. You don't need the connectivity for it. Nearly everything can be done wirelessly. If you want to be connecting this frequently to a larger monitor, or doing a lot of work with video this is not the device for you. This is essentially a very portable internet/office suite computer. 99.9% of usage of this can be done by leaving the charger at home and only bringing the computer. Charge at night while you sleep.

A $1300+ web browser?! Hmm, there are Chromebooks that weigh barely more than this for $300 LOL. Won't have a retina screen...but, it's for Facebook basically!

Don't know if I'm missing something, but what good is a super thin laptop? When you need space to set it down in order to use it, it takes up as much space as a thicker version. I can see the advantage of lighter weight, but thickness?

A lot of people in this thread are missing the point of this device. You don't need the connectivity for it. Nearly everything can be done wirelessly. If you want to be connecting this frequently to a larger monitor, or doing a lot of work with video this is not the device for you. This is essentially a very portable internet/office suite computer. 99.9% of usage of this can be done by leaving the charger at home and only bringing the computer. Charge at night while you sleep.

With only a tiny 13" screen on even the largest MacBook Air, anyone who wants to get any work done would be forced to connect an external monitor. That dinky little screen means you are getting an expensive e-book reader and not much else.

Put a 17" screen on it and it would be minimally usable for some kinds of work. The 15.4" display on my MacBook Pro means I usually leave it at home and take my 17" Toshiba with me.

The AIr having only 4 GB of RAM is another huge limit on its suitability for work purposes. That tiny amount of RAM would force users to constantly close and re-open apps and documents instead of just switching between them. I would know: I've got a MacBook Pro with only 8 GB of RAM. My Toshiba also has only 8 GB but handled the same workload a lot better even before I replaced the hard drive with an SSD.

Back