TechSpot

Thieves steal 7,000 Wii Us worth $2.28m from a Seattle airport

By Matthew
Dec 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A couple million dollars worth of Wii U consoles were stolen at an airport this weekend. Speaking with ABC News, a police officer said the thieves drove two large diesel trucks into Seattle Air Cargo where a Nintendo distribution site...

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,017   +153

"the crew worked together to load the trucks with cargo from the warehouse using forklifts."

so the thieves knew when the wii arrives, used the forklifts available, and drove away using thecargo van available.
    it's an inside job, as the article says.

btw, the abc article did not mention if any of the warehouse guards or delivery men are held for questioning.
    and no mention of a surveillance video in the warehouse?
    I smell a rat. :)

3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,076   +76

Anyone want to buy a Wii U? Christmas blowout sale, only $199 for a basic, and $249 for a deluxe. Get them while they're HOT!

4. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Really? who the F wants those, no one I know. Take something worth something next time *****s.

psycros likes this.
  5. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +22

As a man with fairly small hands the WIIu controller looks like an rsi disaster,

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,076   +76

To me it looks like Leap Frog raped Fisher Price, and the Wii U is its bastard offspring.

davislane1 and Matthew like this.
  7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,338   +493

$2.28 million isn't worth anything? Either you're an algorithm programer for Goldman Sachs, and therefore six zeros is nothing, or hyperinflation just came out of left field. Either way, I'd like to know where the worth-while money is, because I thought these guys made off like bandits?

8. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,088   +41

There is no way these thieves are going to try to sell all these for retail prices. These Wii U's are practically useless, unless they want to risk getting caught. As they mentioned they are traceable. Just like any other dealer of illegal products... they are going to get a wholesale value and most likely be done with it. Luckily, maybe, they will get $1m if they want to put the work into it.... hopefully they had plans after they stole them, and a buyer lined up.

9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

It wasn't me! I just HAPPEN to live and work near the airport..... ;)

10. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 718   +221

The article doesn't actually say that - speed reading will get you every time. But yes, in all likelihood it WAS an inside job. And eventually it will come out that it was Russians or Mexicans who were hired with minimal background checks (if any).

11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Sell for $250 - 280. That isn't suspicious at all xD

12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,164   +175

They are only worth that much if that is what people will pay for them. Having 7000 unsold units in your garage would be completely worthless. You need to sell them for them to have value.

And besides, it's perspective. You could say they aren't worth $2.28 million as they were manufactured for much less than that.

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,675   +59

Tony Soprano strikes again.

14. Modern day robin hood for real. They gonna drop these lewts under trees of the poor.
    Happy Holidays!

15. Well at least it's a good time of the year to unload alot product..Legal or illegal..Plus no camera's
    in the warehouse and loading dock..Unless they aren't saying..

:cool:

16. They should Give a Few to Toys for Tots...Help out a some kids for Christmas..Still have plenty to make some money..:D

17. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Cant wait to see them bring these to Gamestop and get offered $228k for their trade in. (This is a joke people... relax)

18. Didn't this same type of thing happen recently in NY/NJ with Sony stuff and it didn't take long to find the inside guy.

19. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

See the major problem I see with this, is that it had to be a inside job. Ive worked security. You normally have timed rounds. Obviously either the security guards were asleep, or in on it. Second, ppl talk. No matter how hard someone is trying to pass themselves off as someone else, when its a smoke break or a coffee break ppl will chit chat. That being said, there is probabily a ton of personal information that would lead to the criminals getting caught. Third.....really? Wii U? There isnt the same level of demand for the Wii U as there was for the Wii. Maybe 5 years ago if they had stolen that much in Wii units they would have made some serious cash. As it is, they will prolly sell them at half price just to move them and make something. Which in turn will prolly lead to them getting arrested. Is it me or is the general criminal element just that stupid anymore? Seems like all these heists arent as well thought out as they could be.

20. "Really? who the F wants those, no one I know. Take something worth something next time ******."

--> the 'smartest' comment I've ever heard..

21. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Those things look damn uncomfortable. I get aching hands after only a short time playing my PSP.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.