Thinking of upgrading my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hi everyone:

I was wanting to upgrade my processor from a celeron 2.60 GHz to a 2.8 GHz intel P4 or a dual core AMD processor. I heard that a celeron wasn't the bet for games, so that's why I wanted to upgrade. Here are my specs:

eMachines T2682
Intel 845GV motherboard
PNY Verto GeForce FX5500 128 MB ddr dual vga PCI
Intel Celeron 2.60 GHz
Western digital 80 GB HDD
768 MB RAM
Windows XP home edition SP1
3 cooling fans, 1 mobo, 1 processor, 1 graphics card.

First of all, how do I put in the new processor without frying my computer, and secondly, how do I install the drivers without making my PC go permanently blank? Thanks for help in adavance.

U would need a new mobo first of all for an AMD processor or even a dual-core Intel.
As for ur processor question, why not buy it from a store near ur place and give ur PC to them to let them install the stuff? I would do that unless what I wanted wasn't available there. For drivers, go into safe mode and uninstall the old drivers. Then boot up XP normally and install the new ones. Also, I would recommend that u upgrade to SP2.

well the reinstalling bit is easy.. if it doesn't boot, then pop in your winXp cd and Repair windows... and then you can proceed installing the relevant drivers..

If you plan to keep your mobo, then you'll need to find a P4/AMD chip that has the same socket type and is compatible to that mobo.. unfortunatly i'm no expert at mobo/cpu combos so i'll leave the floor open...

You have given us the name your motherboard's chipset, but not the motherboard's model number.

Is your board the D845GVSR or the D845GVFN?

I just checked, and they both have pretty much the same CPU support list. Looks like the Pentium4 2.80A GHz 533 MHz 1 MB L2 cache model is your best bet. As for how to install it, here is a well written "how to" guide for you:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYCPU.htm

celerons aren't good for anything, not just games. they're budget processors for web browsing or word processing, etc.

what's your upgrade budget?

depending on what you were planning to spend on a P4, you may be better off with a a CPU/mobo upgrade, not just the processor alone. you're still on a socket-478 platform which doesn't leave much breathing room for upgrades. like rage mentioned earlier, you will need a new mobo for a dual core anything whether it's intel or AMD.

Today I'll talk to eMachines because they can tell me of a compatible processor that I would like. Also,I have no WinXP cd, so I'll just borrow one from a friend.(I fixed a virus problem on his comp, he has a Winxp cd). Also, I was thinking of a budget of about $100-$150. I dont care about upgrading speed or if I want it dual-core or whatever. I can go with a Intel P4 2.60 GHz or an AMD Athlon 64 2.60 GHz. Also, Mobo upgrade is impossible for me. It's just too much trouble. Do you guys think an Intel P4 with HTT 2.60 GHz will work with my current motherboard? Thanks for all the replies guys :)

sw123

sw123 said:
I can go with a Intel P4 2.60 GHz or an AMD Athlon 64 2.60 GHz.
well if a motherboard upgrade is "out of the question", then it would be impossible to upgrade to anything but a socket-478 P4. (if you browse through this forum you will find out that defective motherboards are a very common problem on emachines, so you may have to replace it sooner than you think ;))

you can buy a socket-478 prescott at around 2.6. it won't support hyper-threading, but that's no big deal. in most cases hyperthreading does not significantly improve performance, and sometimes it can even decrease performance. either way, it cannot compare to a real dual core CPU.

an athlon64 (socket-939 or AM2) is better than anything you can upgrade to on that motherboard. an athlon64 at 2.6GHz would run circles around a P4 at 2.6GHz, clock speed alone is not an acurate measure of processor performance.

also, I have to correct an earlier statement I made...
KingCody said:
like rage mentioned earlier, you will need a new mobo for a dual core anything
Rage and I were both wrong, it appears that you can indeed buy dual-core CPUs for socket-478, here is an example

I doubt your motherboard supports prescott core cpus, so look to be sure you're getting a northwood p4.
I don't think a core duo will work on a desktop 478 board, but I could be wrong.

when I found those CPUs online, I also remember reading that some desktop motheboards could use them, but i didn't save the link.

either way I'm sure the emachines board won't work with it, i was just saying that socket 478 dual core processors do exist.

so essentially we were not wong, because he would need a new board, but not because if the socket type.

thanks for clarifying that up :)

if you can help it- avoid emachines. They're of extremely poor quality. We have had many, many complaints here on techspot regarding emachines.

I spoke to eMachines and they said that a compatible processor would be a Socket 478 and has an FSB speed of 400 MHz. Can you guys give me recommendations? I need a good AMD dual-core or an Intel p4. Thanks guys!

KingCody said:
also, I have to correct an earlier statement I made... Rage and I were both wrong, it appears that you can indeed buy dual-core CPUs for socket-478, here is an example

Those mobile CPUs aren´t electrically compatible with most of the socket 478 mobos. The 845GV chipset doesn´t support them.

Regarding the CPU, I highly doubt that your mobo supports prescott CPU´s.
You have to look out for Northwood CPU´s.

If you can, give us your mobo model, and how much can you spend, and we´ll help you.

Good luck!

sw123 said:
I spoke to eMachines and they said that a compatible processor would be a Socket 478 and has an FSB speed of 400 MHz. Can you guys give me recommendations? I need a good AMD dual-core or an Intel p4. Thanks guys!
I'd stick with the old standard P4-2.4 Northwood core, 400mhz FSB. It's a decent CPU and will be a bit quicker than your current Celeron:
http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/4674-1.htm

You also need to buy some thermal compound for re-attaching the fan/heatsink. Be sure to get Artic Silver 5 for this for best results. You should also consider a new fan/heatsink as the stock Celeron one may not provide adequate cooling. You should be able to get the fan + a tube of artic silver for under $40 USD at NewEgg for top of the line.. $15-$25 USD for budget.

If you're planning on going AMD, plan on replacing the entire PC.. which is still doable if you have the budget. Figure on about $550-$700 USD if you have that much to spend.

Sharkfood said:
If you're planning on going AMD, plan on replacing the entire PC.. which is still doable if you have the budget. Figure on about $550-$700 USD if you have that much to spend.
he would not have to replace the entire PC, he would just need a new mobo. (and maybe a better PSU). that cost would much less than $550-$700, more like $100 and above.

but if you read the above posts you would know that he is not willing to upgrade the mobo, so something in the socket-478 lineup is all he can upgrade to.

sw123, i have noticed you keep mentioning AMD. You have to understand that you have an intel motherboard that takes only Pentium 4 cpu's. You cannot put an AMD cpu in an intel socket 478 motherboard. You would have to buy a new motherboard to use an AMD cpu.

As already stated you need a P4 2.6 socket 478 Northwood with FSB at 400. If i recall correctly they also have the P4 socket 478 northwood at FSB 533 or some other FSB, so make sure you get the one with FSB of 400 only.
But as also mentioned the heatsink\fan you have on the celeron likely wont be good enough for the P4 2.6 cpu, so you will have to get a new heatsink\fan and some thermal paste along with your new Intel P4 2.6 FSB 400 cpu.

I suggest you get a friend to help you with this.

I need a 2.8 GHz Intel P4 then...I can't find any compatibles. Can you help me find one?

Thanks Nork...I could really use that CPU. Just tell me how to install it without frying the computer!(like if you align the pins wrong)

OK guys I have a similar predicament. My dad needs to upgrade his PC's CPU. Specs are as follows
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1700 MHz (17 x 100)
Motherboard Name Shuttle MV43V(N) (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/19/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9200 SERIES (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 SE (RV280)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST340810A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive E-IDE CD-ROM 52X/AKH (52x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive ZP5145H DPQ850X SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 19154 MB (2857 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 10244 MB (3324 MB free)
G: (FAT32) 8745 MB (2628 MB free)
Total Size 38143 MB (8809 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Microsoft Serial IntelliMouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (86.96.165.222)
Modem Creative Modem Blaster V.90 PCI DI5655

Peripherals:
Printer HP LaserJet 6L
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Logitech WingMan RumblePad USB
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

I researched a little and found out that the mobo can take Prescott CPUs as well. So what would be the best processor for his PC that would be a great balance between speed and price. He games on it quite occasionally and we've just got a 6800GS for this PC to replace his 9200SE. Thanks in advance.

P.S. - Intel only guys. He doesn't want to get AMD for some reason so we're stuck with Intel here.

sw123, sorry i am stuck for time right now, have to run, but i will do that later today if thats ok. I have a good quide for installing cpus. Actually you really cant align the pins wrong as the cpu will ONLY go in one way anyway, so its pretty easy with a socket 478!
But i will help you out for sure.
Same with Rage_3K_Moiz but someone else will likely do the same (or better) job as i can do, lol. But if not i will check it out for you as well.
Sorry, gotta run.

Ok so just power down computer, unplug the computer, take out old CPU, ground myself by touching the case, take out the old processor, fit the processor by rotating it until it fits in then close the lever and plug PC in and power up and test it? Seems easy :) Thanks guys!

sw123, im back.
Here are some tutorials on installing a cpu.
Have a look and then we can answer any questions. Also i will give you my own brief tutorial.

http://www.google.com/search?source...GLR,GGLR:2005-37,GGLR:en&q=how+to+install+cpu

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYCPU.htm

http://www.basichardware.com/HowTo_Install_CPU.html

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/cpu/CPU.htm

The first is the main google page and the last three are taken from that page i googled.

First, unhook the cpu fan from the motherboard. Then carefully take your heatsink\fan off, lift levers, take off carefully. Put fan and heatsink aside.
The cpu will be under the heatsink\fan you took off. Look for a lever on the side of the cpu and lif it up so it points straight up in the air. Then use your fingers or a thin screwdriver to lift the cpu out, it should come easy. Note where the small mark is on the corner of the cpu so you can put new one in the same. Put cpu aside.
Take new cpu and put thermal grease on it. I use a part of an old playing card to do this job but you can use a credit card or anything like that. Just cover the steel-looking part of the cpu, see the cpu you took out. Just a very thin layer on the metal part is all you need. Now the new cpu will have a mark on the corner. Put the cpu in the same way as the old one with the mark on the corner in the same place. It will ONLY fit it one way anyway, so you cant go wrong. Once the cpu is in place, flat, just like the old cpu was, then you can move the lever down and the cpu will be in place. Then put the new heatsink\fan on top and secure with levers on it, then plug the new fan onto the motherboard and you are all set.

Now before you do this you should check your bios to make sure you have the right bios for your new cpu or it wont work. When booting up you can see the bios info, usually on bottom of the screen. You can use the "pause\break" key on your keyboard to halt the bootup to write down the bios info. Then go to your motherboard mfgr website and see what bios you now have installed. See if that is ok for your new cpu. If not, then you need to install a new bios BEFORE you install the new cpu. We can help with that as well. I dont recall if we already have your motherboard info or not.

But, with my small tutorial and the pics you see in the websites i posted above, you should be able to do this yourself pretty easy. It seems scary, but its actually very easy!

sw123, i was getting the pics and such and writing a tutorial for you at the same time you were posting and you posted ahead of me.
Its not quite that easy but it is pretty easy.
But first you need to check your bios!
We can help if you give us the make and model and version number off your motherboard (mobo).
And if you give us the info on your bootup as to what bios you have already installed. It may be you need to install a new bios or you may have the newest bios already, we need to know that info first.

Also, once the new cpu is installed you may have to set the multiplier in the bios, but we will get to that once you give us the info on your mobo and bios.

vnf4ultra said:
Rage... read this.
http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportList.asp?Item=MV43V/N
Be sure to read the remarks, especially #3 below.
Appears northwood only, 3.06/533 w/ ht being tops.
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=121
Actually starmicro has very bad ratings,
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3802-p1-s2-d1.html#reviews
Maybe try ebay instead?
http://search.ebay.com/3-06-pentium...rdsreturnedZ300QQsatitleZ3Q2e06Q20pentiumQ204
Thanks vnf4ultra, it looks good. Appears I have an older version of the mobo and the newer one(v8.1a) supports Prescott core CPUs. Would upgrading the BIOS to the new version somehow "Enable" support for Prescott core CPU? Check out the link below.
http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportList.asp?Item=MV43V/N V8.1a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back