This $150 biodegradable keyboard has an Intel processor inside

mongeese

Staff
In a nutshell: A London company called Pentaform is planning to start selling a biodegradable keyboard that can run Windows 10 for just $150 later this month. It created the system, branded AbacusBasic, to help connect people that otherwise couldn't afford a computer to the internet.

According to Pentaform, the Abacus is the most affordable computer in the world. It's a regular office keyboard with a trackpad tacked onto the side and a quad-core system tucked underneath it. It doesn't have a screen, but it has an HDMI port.

Part of what makes it special is its environmental friendliness. Pentaform co-founder, Joon Sang Lee, says the Abacus "considers the planet as one of its prime beneficiaries." Its outer casing is made from a biodegradable polymer and its interior components are designed to be repairable and recyclable.

Pentaform says that the Abacus consumes just 31 kWh per year, about the same as a lightbulb. It makes sense, given that the quad-core from 2016 it uses, the Intel Atom x5-Z8350, has an SDP (scenario design power) of just 2 W.

Despite its low power consumption, the Atom manages a base clock of 1.44 GHz and a boost clock of 1.84 GHz. It sounds slow, but I've used that processor before and, as Pentaform claims, it's fine for simple tasks like web browsing.

Pentaform pairs it with 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB memory configurations of dual channel LPDDR3 clocked at 1,866 MHz, which is the fastest it can support. If the memory was DDR4 then 4 GB would probably be enough, but because it's so slow, opting for 8 GB is probably worthwhile.

However, if it were me, I would immediately install a light Linux distro, and then the hardware wouldn't matter as much. Words can't convey the difference that Linux can make to the snappiness of an underpowered PC and the Abacus was never meant for Windows-specific applications, like games, anyway.

Linux would also do fine for the Abacus' advertised use cases, like "learning to code and tinkering." Also, "surfing the web, creating and editing documents, watching videos and more."

If you're interested in experimenting with the Abacus when it's released in the near future, you'll only need to cough up £120 / $150, or less if you nab the early access discount. But as with all new companies, you should wait until other people are receiving their orders before handing over your money.

Permalink to story.

It is a noble effort but once the encasement degrades the electronics will still be there if it was just tossed out. But I love the name Abacus for it. Old school and the basics.

Last edited:
Pentaform co-founder, Joon Sang Lee, says the Abacus "considers the planet as one of its prime beneficiaries."
We all make a great fertilizer, don't we? So let's focus on that...

So, if you have salty, acidic, sweaty fingers, will the keys melt as you type?

Screw that nonsense, I have enough problems with the letters wearing off my $4.00 Micro Center keyboards.

Besides, this is nothing more than the now unfortunately becoming omnipresent, "green schemes"..

Last edited:
Is it now old-fashioned to wash hands?
No,it's now become an unfortunately overdone histrionic ritual. At least for those of is with a working immune system. And BTW, hand sanitizer is loaded with alcohol. (a fairly potent solvent).

gty_baotou_rare_earth_discharge_pipe_jc_150406_16x9_992.jpg

p02n9y28.jpg
Now tell me again how we're going to "save the world one keyboard at a time"?

Assuming a person has a TV or monitor, can afford internet, and doesn't want to buy a comparably priced Chrome Book, or tablet, then this is an OK (?) solution. Beyond that, don't most plastics have recycling paradigms anyway? So, a biodegradable shell is a boon to those too lazy to turn their old devices in, or ad fluff. (Depending on POV, obviously).

Last edited:
Biodegradable computer....the ultimate in pre-planned obsolescence. I'll pass...Makes about as much sense as a biodegradable airplane.

Biodegradable computer....the ultimate in pre-planned obsolescence. I'll pass...Makes about as much sense as a biodegradable airplane.
Nah, you just have to fly around thunderstorms, instead of through them. (Which makes sense anyway, if you think about it). :rolleyes:

Biodegradable keyboard, huh?... hmmm... whatever.

The "cheapest computer" would still be an r-pi or it's equivalent, even after including an external keyboard and mouse.

Heck, you can even get a full used desktop set including keyboard, mouse and a LCD screen for much less than $150.

Fun fact, the original IBM PC keyboard in 1981 had an Intel microprocessor embedded inside, the 8048 microcontroller which was only slightly less powerful than the Z8350 (I kid of course, but seriously the Z8350 is painful even just web browsing on the modern, bloated web).

Good luck to them, but personally even if you were interested in super-low power, tinkering/education-type system you would be better off grabbing a stick-PC from Alibaba and coupling with a Bluetooth or USB keyboard. Biodegradable is ok I guess, but if you really care about the environment you'd use a second-hand keyboard. Remember, reduce, re-use, recycle, in that order.

More ESG crap
You can have find mini pcs from chinese brands with better specs on amazon
Buy a small keyboard with a trackpad and u are set.

A keyboard that can run Windows? That's not an entirely new idea; a company called Cybernet was making them for a few years, and running ads selling them to offices. Apparently, they're still in business, but now they're specialized in serving the health care field.

This keyboard doesn't get old, it gets rotten! :laughing:

Wasn't there some kind of lawsuit involving computers that were integrated with their keyboards? I remember myself and a bunch of other people saying "What about the Commdore 64?".

We define budget differently

lol .. Vic-20 called ... they want their all-in-one back ..

yyyyeeeaaahhh ..... for 150$ one could build a *super beefy* Pi-something and 3d print a case to attach to the underside of a keyboard.. or re-case an existing keyboad.

No,it's now become an unfortunately overdone histrionic ritual. At least for those of is with a working immune system. And BTW, hand sanitizer is loaded with alcohol. (a fairly potent solvent).

Same thing goes with this mask nonsense. People are killing their natural immune system by not exposing themselves to everyday bacteria and virus. When I see people wearing these masks, even outdoors, it makes me wonder just how dumbed down our society has become.

The environmentally friendly part is neat, but it isn't very complete since only the outer casing is actually biodegradable. The Pi 400 seems like a better choice from a computing perspective. Cheaper, too.

Back