This arcade flight simulator flips players upside-down

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I spent many hours (and quarters) as a kid playing video games in arcades. Cabinet-sized systems were where it was at if you wanted to play the latest titles and experience cutting-edge graphics. But as home consoles became more powerful, arcades slowly disappeared from the landscape.

And now, in a time filled with smartphones and tablets, arcade machines are but a thing of the past. Or are they?

Get a load of this arcade game called War Thunder (if the title of the YouTube video is accurate). The system straps gamers into a simulated fighter jet cockpit capable of mimicking on-screen movements. So yes, if you fly your jet upside-down in the game, the machine will match it and flip you over completely.

Who knew modern arcade games were still being created, anyway?

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Wow that's quiet. I'd rather have an accurate driving simulator. Seems like at one point I noticed there was a delay between the plane and the cockpit. The trailing camera doesn't match the perception you are flying the plane you are seeing.

Sega made a similar (but much cooler looking) cabinet back in the '90's called the R-360 pretty much for game G-LOC. I was able to play it at the MGM Grand in Vegas and it cost like $3. It was totally worth it.

The trouble with this concept, is that it can't simulate the G-Forces one would encounter actually flying the real airplane.

Flying into a fog bank, while in a maneuver approximating 1G, in a few seconds, you will lose all sense of what is up or down. This because you have no horizon on which to fixate.

A similar effect takes place on centrifuge type amusement park rides. ("The Hell hole", etc.).

When the ride begins, you are standing vertically, and remain so during the term of the ride. However, after the centrifugal force exceeds 1G, you perceive yourself laying on your back, looking up.

So, a flight sim capsule that merely puts you upside down, is very far from what the actual experience would be...

For another example, were you push down elevator from level flight, you would be hanging from the safety harness, as though you were flying upside down, as referenced by the sim capsule.

Captaincranky, sounds like you want them to use F4 and stick it on old shuttle space arm (made in Canada) to simulate flying in a jet fighter! Lol But anyway your right the concept they use today still not the same for video games. This box is just someone idea to make it feel like your in a jet.

Captaincranky, sounds like you want them to use F4 and stick it on old shuttle space arm (made in Canada) to simulate flying in a jet fighter! Lol ...[ ].....
Those darned Canadians. 40 years ago I was a mechanic for The Philadelphia Inquirer. This was when Canadian parts were just starting to be used by American auto makers. So, one day we received a Canada built Dodge 318 V-8 engine, with only 7 pistons and con rods.:D That had a nasty miss, as I recall.

So, I don't know about hanging off a shuttle arm, it's still an issue of trust with me....;)

True, but at least its one step small step closer to the real thing..........

I know what I want as part of my rig for Star Citizen...
And here again I caution, what you'd get is a whole lot of unreality, and massive amounts of blood rushing to your head.
B11001-5_zoom.jpg

OTOH, while you're "just hanging around", you might just meet your soul mate.

(Although I doubt it would be her).

Looks like fun, although still very much detached from the reality. In both flying and car racing one of the biggest factors is G-forces of quick trajectory change. And if you are flying in space, it is nothing but.

Last edited:
Looks like fun, although still very much detached from the reality. In both flying and car racing one of the biggest factors is G-forces of quick trajectory change. And if you are flying in space, it is nothing but.
Yeah, somehow I seem to recall explaining that at some length in post #4...

(And right after that, it wasn't altogether clear, if they were gong to turn me or not).:D

I did forget about this Zero-G extravaganza:
uptonzerog.jpg

Thanks for reminding me...

Last edited:
War Thunder is actually an amazing free to play world war 2 era MMO flight simulator. It's got 3 difficulties: arcade, realistic, and simulation. It's definitely the best flying game out there currently

The trouble with this concept, is that it can't simulate the G-Forces one would encounter actually flying the real airplane.

Flying into a fog bank, while in a maneuver approximating 1G, in a few seconds, you will lose all sense of what is up or down. This because you have no horizon on which to fixate.

A similar effect takes place on centrifuge type amusement park rides. ("The Hell hole", etc.).

When the ride begins, you are standing vertically, and remain so during the term of the ride. However, after the centrifugal force exceeds 1G, you perceive yourself laying on your back, looking up.

So, a flight sim capsule that merely puts you upside down, is very far from what the actual experience would be...

For another example, were you push down elevator from level flight, you would be hanging from the safety harness, as though you were flying upside down, as referenced by the sim capsule.
I remember going on a ride in the 70's called "The Rotor" which worked exactly like the one you explained except after 1G the floor slid down and you stuck to the wall like a fly. I tried it a few times and I got sick after about the 4th time. :)

Can I get one with USB to go for my pc NOW PLEASE?!!?

I'm busy shoving money into my CD-tray, when can I expect delivery?!

Can fly real RC jets outside in open area to get the feel of flying these jets if you want to get into it. But other than that. Just odd idea just doesn't make it today. Everyone with their high tech Game Mechanical Keyboard that would set you back $150 and I can't even think about buying one for that price. Since the average keyboard cost less than $10 and sure it doesn't light up but to spend even $50 for G105 and get a few macro keys to program. To fly you need a joystick and those have dropped so low as $25 for top end pro from Logitech and yet their top Game Keyboard is cost so much more. They also have wireless head phones with 7.1 HD Sound plus mic you pay dear for that too. Headphone, Mouse and Keyboard all for Gaming set you back a pretty penny. But can't you do this with top end keyboard and mouse for less.

Sure you can.

Back