TechSpot

This camera records at one trillion FPS and can capture moving light

By Shawn Knight
Nov 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Did you know that there exists a camera that can capture one trillion frames per second and is fast enough to capture moving light? Me either, but apparently it’s been around for nearly two years and was created in the...

Read more

2. p3ngwin

p3ngwin TS Rookie Posts: 18

"The video embedded above demonstrates how the camera is able to capture PHOTOS moving through space. As the narrator describes, you?ve probably seen images of a bullet traveling through an apple. PHOTOS move about a million times faster than bullets, so capturing them is no easy feat."

photos?

can't believe you mistyped PHOTONS twice, consistently :)

dennis777 and MID.AS like this.
  3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

Photons rather than "photos".

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

I don't get it. In order to see something a photon needs to enter your eye. In order to take a picture of something a photon needs to enter the lens and be recorded. So how could you possibly take a picture of a photon moving? That's sort of impossible by definition isn't it?

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  5. Steveb8189

Steveb8189 TS Rookie

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

7. mikeusru

mikeusru TS Rookie Posts: 48

You're right - the camera doesn't record photons, but the scatter from light which occurs when it hits objects (read: that plastic coke bottle). The term photons is also misleading here, since even though it's true, you can see that the pulse of light is quite large, many magnitudes higher than a single photon (which allows all the scattering).

8. MID.AS

MID.AS TS Member

PHOTONS!! Not "Photos"

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,182   +764

Yeah you have a point there. That's the way I understand it. Then again I didn't attend MIT.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,182   +764

If I were to ever buy $1000 AMD or Nvidia GFX card, that's the kind of FPS I'd expect at 4k for my money.

Raoul Duke likes this.

11. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,949   +381

Its capturing the reflection of light off of objects into the camera lens.

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 319   +83

Damn straight!!

13. Video uploaded on Dec 28, 2011, that was two years ago. Better late than never I guess.

14. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 319   +83

LOL
    I hate when that happens, you see someone that needs help listed on the main web page, click, and find out it is years old. WTF

15. I like taking photos of photos. Then I take phots of them.

coolazeem likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.