This copy of Windows is not genuine

Doug8765

When we boot my wife's computer this morning it does not come to a working screen. Instead it comes to either of a solid black screen or a solid pale blue screen.

This is a Win 7, laptop. Compaq Presario, CQ 61. About 2 1/2 years old.

My 9 year old son was the first person this morning to boot the computer. He reports that when the computer came up first it displayed "Windows 7 This copy of Windows is not genuine."

We've done all the genuine registration stuff that Microsoft has ever requested. We run Marwarebytes once a day to look for malware. We run Ccleaner daily to remove garbage. We always run Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus.

Safe mode runs.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Doug Roberts

Hi -
That led me to safe mode. I was not able to reach Microsoft since there's no internet, but I used the Shutdown Computer button with Restart. That restarted the computer properly. This is a fast resolution.

Thank you.

Doug

Not sure if I understand properly, was the issue resolved? Are you able to boot into normal mode and re-activate windows?

What exactly led you to safe mode? Do you mean that the issue that you are having/had caused you to only access the computer through Safe Mode?

Just want to verify.

Not sure if I understand properly, was the issue resolved? Are you able to boot into normal mode and re-activate windows?

What exactly led you to safe mode? Do you mean that the issue that you are having/had caused you to only access the computer through Safe Mode?

Just want to verify.

Hi ComputerGuy55 -
Yes, by now I can say that it appears the problem is resolved. Yes, when I reboot the computer now it comes up in normal mode.

I went to safe mode because the link you provided needs a browser and that wasn't happening in normal mode. No, I don't normally access the computer in safe mode. I only use safe mode when nothing else works.

I submit that the error message "This copy of Windows is not genuine." was a red herring and that the reboot of Windows via the safe mode Shut down with Restart caused the computer to do a systematic reboot properly.

All's well that ends well.

Doug

Back