This copy of Windows is not genuine

Doug8765

Hi -
I've been running Windows 7 since it was new. Now, out of the blue sky it's got this message in the bottom right corner saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine", and, just above that, "Build 7601".

When I googled this, it appears that there are many "fixes" for this. Some of them give complicated installs and uninstalls of Windows 7 fixes, updates and patches. Sounds like a great way to seriously mess my computer up.

Is there a known, simple fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

First off, try just shutting windows down from the start button, and choose restart in safe mode. Mess about a bit in case Windows needs a bit of time to look around. I.e. run chkdsk in read-only mode just in case there has been a bit of corruption. Then if all is clear, restart again into normal mode. This has been known to work, and is quick and simple. Luck.

Hi gbhall -
I'll keep your suggestion in mind if this problem recurs. Sounds safe. I went and did one of those dos command window solutions that uses the command slmgr -rearm. It worked, at least it seems to have worked. That required an uninstall of fix KB971033, but I have no intention of leaving Windows Update turned off. It's not that I'm an expert, I just don't like getting warnings from my operating system that I have problems - I.e. that Windows Update is turned off.
So if this returns I'll be glad to mouse around in safe mode. Sometimes I think safe mode helps just because of all the new copies of OS files that get refreshed.

Thank you. Thank you. Love to read a response.

Doug

Glad you have a stable system again. The answer to Win update problems is set it to advise of availability but neither download nor update without permission. That way you can pick and choose what is found to be Ok by the community. By the 'community' I mean such sites as Windows Secrets newsletter http://windowssecrets.com/ free to join, get monthly advice shortly after the updates.......good stuff.

Hi gbhall -
Thanks. Made the mod to Windows Update and subscribed to WindowsSecrets.

Doug

http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/moving-to-windows-8-1-ready-or-not/ is a link to the October MS patch advice after the main article. You can see what you will get, probably less clear than most months though. But....I just noticed that might be 'paid-only' content...oops.
Not to worry, there is no fixed fee, they will happily take any modest sum as a paid registration, which is annual. I did not splash out much, as the patch advice was all I really wanted. It's certainly worth what I paid.

Back