This is how much Microsoft charges OEMs for Windows 8.1 with Bing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows bing pricing explained microsoft software bing oem tablet windows 8 operating system mobile os os pricing windows 8.1

Microsoft has yet to reveal how much it plans to charge PC manufacturers (or customers) for Windows 10. In the meantime, however, a new document published on the company’s OEM Partner Center site sheds a bit more light on how much it currently charges partners for Windows 8.1 with Bing.

Last May, Microsoft announced a subsidized version of its latest operating system dubbed Windows 8.1 with Bing. Offered only to manufacturers as a pre-install on new devices, the idea was to drive adoption of Windows 8.1 and Office on budget-minded systems.

As the document from the OEM Partner Center site shows, Microsoft offers Windows 8.1 with Bing to makers of small tablets (those with screen sizes smaller than nine inches) for $10. Factor in the configuration discount of $10 and we see that manufacturers don’t pay a dime for the OS.

Tablets with screen sizes of 10.1-inch or smaller (down to nine inches, presumably) are charged a royalty of $25 minus the configuration discount of $10 for a final price of $15. The same fees are charged regardless of whether or not Office 365 is included as a free bundle to buyers.

To be eligible for the configuration discount, Bing must be set as the default search engine and MSN must be set as the default home page on any included web browser. These defaults can be changed by the end user at any time. Furthermore, the offers only apply to x86-based devices.

Given this knowledge, it’ll be interesting to see how much Microsoft is planning to charge for Windows 10.

Permalink to story.

"Given this knowledge, it’ll be interesting to see how much Microsoft is planning to charge for Windows 10".

I predict it will somewhere around three figures to the left of the decimal point, and to the right of the EULA.

Maybe we should just hope that it's not an attempt at a subscription only offering.

I will stick to Android on my tablets. I want to ween myself from windows and micro$$oft dominance as much as possible.

They are more interested in sucking money out of my pockets than providing me with a decent OS.

I will stick to Android on my tablets. I want to ween myself from windows and micro$$oft dominance as much as possible.

They are more interested in sucking money out of my pockets than providing me with a decent OS.
I don't think you're being entirely fair with M$.

They are interested in sucking money out of your wallet. But, they're not as bad as Adobe, (at least not yet), and somewhere in the back of their mind they know eventually they'll have to provide an OS that people like.

But when you come right down to it, isn't that Android nonsense pretty much just for phones.

Hey wait! That would make a great sales pitch! "Android, it isn't just for phones anymore".

But when you come right down to it, isn't that Android nonsense pretty much just for phones.

Hey wait! That would make a great sales pitch! "Android, it isn't just for phones anymore".

Given it's Unix/Linux roots it's not really just for phones. Of course it's architecture is tailored for mobile, touch screen, small memory devices, but that's not to say it couldn't be scaled up for other use. But then where would Chromebooks and ChromeOS fit in?

Although getting into professional/productivity desktop use would mean providing a better solution than MS/Intel do, and similar catalog of software solutions. And the head start that they have I don't see it being something we'll see any time soon. I don't see any OS being miles ahead of any other. Most productivity software performs the same on most platforms. Probably something to do with the hardware in most cases providing more processing power than most users will ever need, other than running games.

...[ ].... But then where would Chromebooks and ChromeOS fit in?....[ ]....
Oh gosh, I dunno. Although come to think of it, the smaller models, up to about 11' or so, I believe would fit nicely into the average tall kitchen trash can! (y)

Last edited:
You can blame all the worlds problems into Microsoft but... you'll probably just keep using Windows until the day you die.

When you realize there is that much crap you can throw in the fan before it hits you back it will all be good. I feel it's a bit hypocrite, thats all.

Also, I haven't found a replacement as powerful as office for my day to day workload (You have to add the goodies of corporate support and what-not to the mix). I'm pretty sure they'll end up living off of Office in a mid-long time frame and they'll stop charging for OS, or maybe switch into an all-in-one kind of subscription, which wouldn't be half that bad (For the prices available considering office, exchange mail, teras of online storage and what-not).

Stop the hatred, without a doubt it's a business, but it's not as bad you want to picture it.

or maybe switch into an all-in-one kind of subscription, which wouldn't be half that bad (For the prices available considering office, exchange mail, teras of online storage and what-not).
I haven't bought new Microsoft software in almost 5 years now, but an all-in-one subscription would be worth looking at for me, especially if Microsoft intends to stick with this faster release cycle for Windows. In addition, they usually update Office every 3-4 years, so considering the cost of office 365 as it is now, it's actually a bargin over buying the Professional copy of Office ($400) every time in the same update timeframe, be it Home ed. @ 5 licences for $400/4yr, or personal ed. @ 1 licenese for $280/4yr.

Of course, the only major disadvantage is having to phone home regularly to stay activated.

This is why I picked up a 9.6" bay-trail tablet for 200$ few months ago. it comes with windows 8.1 with bing, and free 365day of office 2013. I clearly dont mind the 0.4" difference as long as I dont pay have to pay more to the manufacturers for the difference in win 8.1 versions.

if windows 8.1 with bing didn't exist, I probably would have bought myself an android tablet, because there is no way I can get a "normal" windows tablet for that price. great move by ms btw, now we just need more manufacturers which produces these windows 8.1 with bing tablets because so far only very few manufacturers make them.

Why do tablets with keyboards called detachables and small tablets with keyboards called detactables?
Sorry, why are tablets with keyboards called detachables and small tablets with keyboards called detactables?

I don't think you're being entirely fair with M$.

Oh, I have to agree with them sucking the blood out of the end user .... after all, after getting 8.1 and handling the box, I noticed two distinct fang marks on my hands and I did feel a little light headed!

Oh, I have to agree with them sucking the blood out of the end user .... after all, after getting 8.1 and handling the box, I noticed two distinct fang marks on my hands and I did feel a little light headed!
Well, it serves you right for buying any version of Windows 8. The fang marks you received when you bought Windows 7 should have long healed by now.

Not sticking up for microsoft-but at least they're Leagues behind apple when it comes to
sucking money out of your pocket.....................................

Bing (CoreConnected) is pretty much Core.
It's priced cheap because it can only be used with cheap hardware.
MS has $ guidelines. ie the hardware can't retail for more than $250 (just guessing).
Your not going to buy a $100 tablet then spend $150 on the OS...

The concept makes sense, most of the people buying the super cheap laptops that this is going onto are just consumers looking for the cheapest thing, so they are far to stupid to change there homepage or search provider until they click on a ad or open a Facebook game and download that Flash thingy and now there homepage is trovi and someone things there computer is slow.... The tablets are really what benefit from this, windows tablets are usually reserved for people with half clue about computers, so idk how much MS is making off the Bing default, but its dropping the tablets to compete really well with android tablets and intel keeps offering those bay trails at those reduced prices to OEM's, so you get great performance and pay pennies for it.

The concept makes sense, most of the people buying the super cheap laptops that this is going onto are just consumers looking for the cheapest thing, so they are far to stupid to change there homepage or search provider until they click on a ad or open a Facebook game and download that Flash thingy and now there homepage is trovi and someone things there computer is slow.... The tablets are really what benefit from this, windows tablets are usually reserved for people with half clue about computers, so idk how much MS is making off the Bing default, but its dropping the tablets to compete really well with android tablets and intel keeps offering those bay trails at those reduced prices to OEM's, so you get great performance and pay pennies for it.

So your logic is "stupid people buy cheap things"... are you serious?

I think I have more than half a clue about computers, and I would love to have a cheap windows 8.1 tablet. Your whole post/argument is insanely dumb to the point that reading it hurt my eyes.

You are probably thinking that people want to buy tablets to do programming or hardcore gaming coding what not... it's not like that at all, they want it for daily usage, check mail, be able to do some quick editing into office files and some mild web browsing, messanging and casual gaming.

This is why I picked up a 9.6" bay-trail tablet for 200$ few months ago. it comes with windows 8.1 with bing, and free 365day of office 2013. I clearly dont mind the 0.4" difference as long as I dont pay have to pay more to the manufacturers for the difference in win 8.1 versions.

if windows 8.1 with bing didn't exist, I probably would have bought myself an android tablet, because there is no way I can get a "normal" windows tablet for that price. great move by ms btw, now we just need more manufacturers which produces these windows 8.1 with bing tablets because so far only very few manufacturers make them.
Which tablet did you end up getting?

So your logic is "stupid people buy cheap things"... are you serious?

I think I have more than half a clue about computers, and I would love to have a cheap windows 8.1 tablet. Your whole post/argument is insanely dumb to the point that reading it hurt my eyes.

You are probably thinking that people want to buy tablets to do programming or hardcore gaming coding what not... it's not like that at all, they want it for daily usage, check mail, be able to do some quick editing into office files and some mild web browsing, messanging and casual gaming.
Well I guess it is obvious that you couldn't read the comment. What I said, based on what I see working in tech retail and talking with my friends who also works this wonderful career field (joking) the cheap laptops are going to the average computer consumer (aka stupid computer people). Then I went on to say this helps the windows tablet market more then anything else, which all the windows tablets I have sold have been to people who seem to have a firm grasp on computers and functions. I haven't sold a single sub $300 laptop (and I have sold around 400 of them since this July when we started stocking them more frequently) to someone who seemed to understand what they were truly buying and any attempt by me to get them to move to something with better performance for even $50 more was met by huge amounts of resentment because they only had "X" amount of money. Tablets are newer tech and for the people seriously looking at tablets Apple and Android usually pull there attention, the computer geek looking at tablets though looks at all 3 options and with the help of MS Windows 8 bing and intel's discount on bay trail chips to OEMs for windows tablets, it's helping these windows tablets compete quite well against android tablets in the size range. The people who you speak of looking for tablets are usually always going for android or iOS when looking at tablets since that's all they can really do, web browse, email, couple of games here or there. The windows tablets have a sharper learning curve and are still fully functional computers and when people see that I have noticed it pushed most of the "average" consumer away from them, basically they don't have the apple draw for the "simple" user yet.

" The same fees are charged regardless of whether or not Office 365 is included as a free bundle to buyers."
The document scan this article is based on says "Office 365 Personal MUST NOT be included." That doesn't mean "you can include it if you want to, or not". It means "if you include Office 365 Personal you don't get this discount."

Which tablet did you end up getting?

It's a version of this Onda V961W tablet but with less RAM, less storage and no GPS. it was sold as a rebrand by an indonesian tech company called Advan.

Specs are pretty minimal with just Z3735 Baytrail, 16GB of storage and 1GB of RAM. but I'll be damned if I can find an equivalent android tablet under the 200$ mark down here. Win 8.1 feels like a huge bonus given that I am a techie. I was actually surprised this tablet is able to read 1TB 2.5" HDD just fine on its own.

I have categorically sworn off Microsoft's search program BING. Reason: Microsoft's search within their own OS is a disaster. Recently, I generated a unique file in order to see where it was located onthe PC (Windows 8.1). I entered xyz.mbx and got not one item but 381. All of them off subject. Thatis what Microsoft SEARCH means to me. 99.99% garbage.

I have categorically sworn off Microsoft's search program BING. Reason: Microsoft's search within their own OS is a disaster. Recently, I generated a unique file in order to see where it was located onthe PC (Windows 8.1). I entered xyz.mbx and got not one item but 381. All of them off subject. Thatis what Microsoft SEARCH means to me. 99.99% garbage.

On my years of google-fu training, I've learnt that you actually need to know how to look for something, but then again it's not my problem so...

I have a feeling that you never checked the Indexing Options since by default Windows only has the most used places to search (Users, Offline Files, etc). If you place files in a different directory and want it to be searched you must modify the options. Considering the default saving locations and download locations are in the Users folder it seems logical for them to do. You can add every drive and every location but it takes a bit of time to build the index for quick searching for large amounts of files, once it is done it will find your files. Another quick FYI but the reason those other files were shown is because Windows will search text inside the file for the string you entered.

I have a feeling that you never checked the Indexing Options since by default Windows only has the most used places to search (Users, Offline Files, etc). If you place files in a different directory and want it to be searched you must modify the options. Considering the default saving locations and download locations are in the Users folder it seems logical for them to do. You can add every drive and every location but it takes a bit of time to build the index for quick searching for large amounts of files, once it is done it will find your files. Another quick FYI but the reason those other files were shown is because Windows will search text inside the file for the string you entered.
adding entire drives tends to slow down the PC a lot in my experimenting

adding entire drives tends to slow down the PC a lot in my experimenting
It does slow it down until all files are indexed which is one reason MS limits it to the default places. It also puts your HDD through its paces checking everything during the idle time when you are not using it since that is when it does its most active indexing. I only have one drive where actual files I edit are kept so I add that, all my videos and other such files are not added since they are on their own drive and I can do a search from within that drive and get quick results not to mention my Kodi library keeps them all in line and easily searched.

Back