This is not real: These photorealistic scenes were created with Unreal Engine 4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Gamers have long been promised “realistic” graphics but to date, not much has really come close to delivering photorealistic imagery. Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4, however, may very well be the first.

The popular engine has been available to the gaming community for over a year now and is being utilized in the development of AAA titles like Street Fighter V and EVE: Valkyrie. It’s the latest screenshots and footage from Unreal Engine forum user Koola, however, that has the Internet buzzing.

As you can see for yourself, it’s genuinely difficult to determine if Koola’s creations are real or computer-generated.

Epic Games launched Unreal Engine 4 at the Game Developers Conference in March 2014. The company took a unique approach to the launch, offering the engine via subscription model to help put it in the hands of anyone interested in building games.

A year later, Epic dropped the subscription model and made its engine completely free to use via revenue sharing.

If you’re curious to see some other content created using Unreal Engine 4, I’d encourage you to check out the Unreal Paris tour and the Infiltrator demo.

Permalink to story.

You don't need all that crap anyway lmao. What about the gameplay or the damn story. Are the mechanics even fully functional? It's all going to get rushed out anyway unless it's in development for 7+ years. Even then...

Fancy, yet most devs will never use it because of the low specs on the xbone and PS4 so who cares.

Not like a single titan could render a game at that fidelity and be playable.

A barren empty world rendered in ultra high fidelity is always easy compared to a rich world full with stuff and details in motion with interaction.

Not even close to looking real did no one see that really low res texture on the large rocks?

Great job, it's nice for people to come up those with atmospheric, beautiful things. I know just how hard is it to work with CGI, and bringing it so close to photorealism is even harder.

Not even close to looking real did no one see that really low res texture on the large rocks?
Not sure if it was low resolution texture or just the simulated shallow depth of field being a bit crap.

Not like a single titan could render a game at that fidelity and be playable.

A barren empty world rendered in ultra high fidelity is always easy compared to a rich world full with stuff and details in motion with interaction.

Yeah but that's not my argument: We're showing cars that can do 100mph easily but car manufacturers are not selling anything that can go over 30 right now so why bother? Remember that games that looks that good (With Notable exceptions like the vanishing of ethan carter or witcher 3) take a lot of money to be produced and the specs will be tied to the consoles for the forseeable future, at least until consoles die and major publishers are forced to treat PC seriously.

In the meantime? Enjoy your Akrham knights and Watchdogs and other ****, downgraded PC ports for the benefit or making the consoles looking like a better deal.

Everyone is missing the g d point. I thought Dimitriid was getting close and then finished in cow feces.

The images, being populated or not, shows the awesomeness of the engine and what some people might be aiming for in the foreseable future.

Stop complaining on the little things and think in the big picture, hate the feces out of all of you!

Everyone is missing the g d point. I thought Dimitriid was getting close and then finished in cow feces.

The images, being populated or not, shows the awesomeness of the engine and what some people might be aiming for in the foreseable future.

Stop complaining on the little things and think in the big picture, hate the feces out of all of you!

Finally, couldn't say it better myself!

Finally, couldn't say it better myself!
Yes. Do we really expect devs to just stop pushing the envelope in terms of graphics? Of course not, they'll continue to push the envelope and this is just a proof of concept, same as any of the others before it. We have the games we love now because of the devs past who did exactly the same type of thing.

Yes, gameplay. Yes, story. GOT IT. But must it be either/or? I say let devs be devs. We moan now, and then we sing their praises five years from now.

Yeah but that's not my argument: We're showing cars that can do 100mph easily but car manufacturers are not selling anything that can go over 30 right now so why bother? Remember that games that looks that good (With Notable exceptions like the vanishing of ethan carter or witcher 3) take a lot of money to be produced and the specs will be tied to the consoles for the forseeable future, at least until consoles die and major publishers are forced to treat PC seriously.

In the meantime? Enjoy your Akrham knights and Watchdogs and other ****, downgraded PC ports for the benefit or making the consoles looking like a better deal.

I play witcher 3 on pc at max settings and it doesn't look anywhere nearly as good. Only the primary most looked at assets come somewhat close in fidelity like Geralt himself. What we see here is at least 2 generations more advanced including graphic card generations.

Awestruck.

Yes, I realize it will take 132 GB RAM, an Octo- quad-core CPU at 16GHz and a GeForce GTXE+ 1980 with 12 GB DDR9 for it to be playable - but it will be worth the wait as long as its in my lifetime.

We'll be able to walk on other planets - or spiral down into the Milky Way - or just tour an impossible garden.

Three cheers (and more) for the bleeding edge!!

Awestruck.

Yes, I realize it will take 132 GB RAM, an Octo- quad-core CPU at 16GHz and a GeForce GTXE+ 1980 with 12 GB DDR9 for it to be playable - but it will be worth the wait as long as its in my lifetime.

We'll be able to walk on other planets - or spiral down into the Milky Way - or just tour an impossible garden.

Three cheers (and more) for the bleeding edge!!

Well, to be honest, it depends on the gameplay one would decide to go with those graphics. For a calm, atmospheric virtual walk a modern uber-confing would probably suffice. For explosions, giant robots, fast-paced action... yeah, something along the specs you mentioned, maybe half of that. :) Oh well... I hope that we (and the freaking industry) grow up to use UE4 more frequently and other than that - optimize our games (I'm looking at you, UE3 Arkham Knight!).

"at least until consoles die and major publishers are forced to treat PC seriously."

LOL When PCs become as easy to maintain as a console without being any more time consuming then consoles will die. Easy for the masses that is, and not just easy for a bunch of tech savy users on a tech website....

I'm not going to bother teaching my friends all that's required for a gaming PC when they just know enough to get to youtube. And they wouldn't bother to learn it anyways even if they had the time.
This is why consoles still have a market: Time and PC ignorance.

Back