This is the new Surface Pro 4: The original laptop-tablet just got better

Jos

Microsoft had a lot of exciting announcements to make today as it unveiled new Windows 10 hardware across a few different categories. As expected, a new Surface Pro 4 tablet was in the cards, improving upon its predecessor with updated specs and minor design tweaks.

The screen is slightly larger at 12.3” and the resolution has been bumped to 2736 x 1824, reaching a pixel density of 267ppi. This hasn’t come at the expense of a bulkier body. Microsoft says the tablet is actually a bit thinner at just 8.4mm and the larger screen is offset by thinner bezels. It’s also a bit lighter at 766g.

Inside Microsoft is offering ‘up to’ a 6th generation Intel Skylake processor, 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. That’s for the completely souped-up version, of course, which will run you upwards of $2,000 and is supposedly up to 50 percent faster than the Macbook Air and 30 percent faster than the Surface Pro 3. Microsoft didn’t bother comparing with other tablets. This is a full on laptop replacement, and the company took the opportunity to throw a jab at Apple noting how competitors are now chasing it -- take that iPad Pro.

The new Type Cover has been improved with chiclet-style keys and a 40% larger trackpad, it's also backward compatible with the Surface Pro 3. A fingerprint reader has been added for Windows Hello, though the front-facing camera on the Surface Pro 4 should suffice for logging you in using facial recognition as well.

Lastly, there’s an all new Surface Pen with 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity, all-year battery life, interchangeable tips with different feel and sensitivity, an eraser at the opposite end, Cortana integration, and the ability to attach magnetically to the side of the Surface Pro 4 when not in use. To optimize the stylus and touch experience Microsoft says the Gorilla Glass on the Surface Pro 4 is the thinnest ever on a tablet, at 0.4mm, and the company has even developed a special G5 chipset to run the optical stack.

Rounding out the specs are four USB 3.0 ports, two 4K DisplayPorts and Ethernet.

The Surface Pro 4 is up to pre-order starting today at $899 for the Intel Core M3 with 4GB of RAM. It starts shipping on October 26th. The previous-gen Surface Pro 3 will keep selling as a value-minded model, starting at $499.

Permalink to story.

"The previous-gen Surface Pro 3 will keep selling as a value-minded model, starting at $499": the cheapest SP3 is still $699, $499 is for the non-Pro surface.

Watching the MS presentation was like watching the Chicago Cubs finally winning the World Series with a game 7, two-out, bottom of the ninth grand slam (no, they really still haven't, but there's always hope). After so much disappointment over the last few years, MS finally found its redemption with an array of mind-boggling devices that should have all MS users cracking open their piggy banks and trudging their bagloads of loose change to the nearest MS store. The 950 is the complete smartphone; the SurfaceBook the complete computer. I'm happy to say today that I can look back to my Windows 3.11 days with a big grin.

"The previous-gen Surface Pro 3 will keep selling as a value-minded model, starting at $499": the cheapest SP3 is still $699, $499 is for the non-Pro surface.

I believe the article is implying the price will drop with the release of the new tablets

Watching the MS presentation was like watching the Chicago Cubs finally winning the World Series with a game 7, two-out, bottom of the ninth grand slam (no, they really still haven't, but there's always hope). After so much disappointment over the last few years, MS finally found its redemption with an array of mind-boggling devices that should have all MS users cracking open their piggy banks and trudging their bagloads of loose change to the nearest MS store. The 950 is the complete smartphone; the SurfaceBook the complete computer. I'm happy to say today that I can look back to my Windows 3.11 days with a big grin.

Where can I get one of those MS checks like you? :-D

I still remember when upgrades and improvements basically cost the same as the old models. They would simply apply the improvements and hold the line on the $$ knowing they were saving on the manufacturing end which is where the increased profit came from. Now we are back to big jumps is cost. The real question is how many people will lay down such a cost for something that may or may not be all that is promised.

Sorry, I'm on the fence on this one until it proves itself beyond any doubt .... and I can sell my neighbors little dog for that $2,000 price tag!

Rounding out the specs are four USB 3.0 ports, two 4K DisplayPorts and Ethernet.
From what I have gathered online, these are the ports available on the updated Surface Dock, not on the Surface Pro 4 itself.

I can hardly wait to see the non-pro version. I don' need more than that. I will do my gaming with steam in-home streaming from my gaming pc. And at the same time I can still use outlook, office, ms project and everything else for my work when I am on the road.
Without the keyboard it is a tablet. What else could we ask for?
No wonder why apple TRIED to copy it with the Ipad Pro, which on the downside runs a mobile OS so definitely not a competitor even to the lowest level spec Surface.
Yeah, I am a MS fanboy, and I don't get any of those checks NightAngel79... ;-)

Peace

So what's the difference between the Surface and the Surface Book... for the price, seems like the "Book" is a better value, as it separates into a Surface?

So what's the difference between the Surface and the Surface Book... for the price, seems like the "Book" is a better value, as it separates into a Surface?

IMO, the Surface Book is a laptop first, tablet second. Whereas the Surface Pro 3 is a [powerful] tablet first, laptop second.

It really depends on your usage. If a better keyboard & a hinge-based support system is better for you --- typing a lot, typing on your laptop, working with angles where the kickstand would not suffice or if you're needing the power of the NVidia GPU in an extremely mobile package the Surface Book makes more sense. But if you're doing mostly tablet stuff, writing, drawing, sketching, you don't require a high-end GPU, you prefer to have your expandable ports in the screen itself (the Surface Book ports are in the base) and will only need to use the laptop functionality "sometimes", Surface Pro 4 makes more sense for you.

My personal needs fall into the Surface Pro 4 category, I'll be getting the 256GB / 8GB / Core i5 model. $1,299 ($1,428 after TypeCover) --- not far off from the Surface Book equivalent at $1,499 (laptop, so the keyboard is included) --- so it's something worth considering, but I believe fine wit the form factor of the Pro, mainly because the ports are in the tablet.

My question is.... when you detach the "tablet" from the Surface Book, what is the difference between it and a Surface 4?

If it's just the size (less than an inch I believe), then I would think the "book" is the way to go... but if the Surface Pro has more ports, better screen, more responsive, etc... then I'd think again.... anyone know?

Back