This may sound like a really *****ic question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

...but I fancy seeing how many networks I can detect on the street around my house, but I know nothing about setting up wireless networks.

My system spec in my profile are up to date, except for my new DVD burner which isn't working yet.

What do I need to do to it to add a wireless reciever to it, without taking anything away?

Preferably as cheap as possible.

That might not be a good thing to ask here, since it is a grey area. Driving around and detecting networks is called "WarDriving".
I don't blame you for being curious though, you'd prolly be surprised at the number of hidden SSIDs you can find in a given location, both secured and unsecured.
There are "diagnostic" utilities out there that will allow you to see these networks, though I'll leave it at that since we try not to get into too many shady areas here.

Adding a wireless receiver is simple, just get a wireless USB adapter or PCI card to put in the system, you'll also need a wireless router or access point. If you have a laptop its just as easy, many have a mini-pci slot, most have a PCMCIA slot, you can also find USB adapters for them.

OK. I'll completely forget I said about looking to see how many networks are outside my house (I meant literally outside of the front and the backdoors. lol). Its legitimate curiosity, but I'll ignore that bit. I didn't realise it was contraversial, and thankyou for warning me about it.

I would also like to embarrassingly admit though, that I was acctually asking moe about the hardware than the software. I know all about the fact that the encryption isn't turned on in the hardware by the manufacturer, and so off by default, I just don't know, is what the harware acctually is!

I guess what you don't see or use, you don't learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back