TechSpot

This spherical gear was made using a 3D printer, can be yours for the holidays

By Shawn Knight
Dec 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Proxy Design Studio has created a 3D-printed spherical gear known as the Mechaneu. Described as the first in a series of kinetic, 3D-printed objects designed to explore the limits of 3D printing as an art form, it really is a...

Read more

2. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Maniac Posts: 339   +18

$200? My ***... We have a 3D printer where I go and this would cost somewhere between $10-$25 to make

3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 947   +113

And how many man hours to design and develop something like this would it take you? It's easy to say you can print this yourself, but then how about you design it yourself too? Cost of materials and cost of development are two different things and you seem to be missing the connection, or simply you aren't appreciating what has been done here.

Btw, where is it that you go that has a 3D printer. I'd like to be able to just go someplace that has a 3D printer laying around that I can mess around with.

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 984   +89

Very clever little mechanical ball. Is it that "Ah ha" moment for 3D manufacturing? Maybe.

5. Good and now make one in stainless steel and with better quality surfaces and edges....

6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,533   +600

Labor (in all its forms) is the one thing everyone wants to collect on, but nobody ever wants to pay for.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,988   +957

Jeez, I just pissed away 200 bucks on a 27" A-MVA monitor from Acer. Now I'm kicking myself in the a**, 'cause I could have had one of those things for the same price.......;)

8. NeurotechHD

NeurotechHD TS Rookie Posts: 38   +13

And make it tiny. This would be far more amazing if the ball were, say, the size of a large marble (or smaller!).

9. NeurotechHD

You should have saved an extra $100 and went with a 144hz ASUS monitor. Faster refresh rates are far more pronounced an upgrade than a switch to AMVA.

10. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

Boy you must be fun at parties. xD
    jk

NeurotechHD likes this.
  11. NeurotechHD

Haha, well he was half joking/ half serious and I replied before my morning coffee - I don't even attempt jokes until well past 3pm ;)

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,988   +957

Right...:oops:I'm thinking they should shrink it down to a bit larger than a golf ball, then string several together on a stout chord. After that, they could market it to bored, upper crust suburban housewives as, "The perfect pool boy replacement".
    Yeah you're right. That's because everyone needs need a 144Hz monitor to do work in Photoshop.

So now that you're up, what's one the agenda, trying to count the frame rates on your current monitor?

[​IMG]

13. Years of research, my foot! This looks like an almost direct copy of my brother's design.

Here's a link to his 3D-printed version.

14. Forgot to attach the video of the final version:

It looks like they took their design right off this guy's blog.

15. Ainaemaet

Ainaemaet TS Rookie

Yet we pay for it anyways. You don't really have a choice do you? What's your point?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.