Thousands of dollars worth of EVGA RTX 3000 cards stolen in truck heist

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? With the price and rarity of Ampere graphics cards getting close to that of gold, the RTX 3000 series is becoming an enticing target for criminals. So, it’s not totally surprising to learn that a shipment of EVGA GeForce RTX 3000-series cards was stolen from a truck as it made its way to a distribution center.

The heist, which took place on October 29, was announced by EVGA Product Manager Jacob Freeman via the company’s forums (as reported by IGN). He didn’t reveal too many details about the crime, likely because it’s an ongoing investigation, though he did confirm the truck was en route from San Francisco to EVGA’s Southern California distribution center at the time.

It sounds as if the thieves made off with most of the Ampere lineup. Freeman added that the stolen cards’ values start at $329.99— likely the RTX 3060—and go all the way up to $1959.99—the RTX 3090. These are MSRPs, so the actual selling prices would be a lot higher. How many were stolen wasn’t revealed, but it will doubtlessly have been a large number.

For those hoping to grab themselves a cheap RTX 3000 card, Freeman warns that it is a criminal and civil offense to buy or receive property that has been stolen, as per the California Penal Code section 496(a). He also notes that it is a criminal and civil offense to “conceal, sell, withhold, or aid in concealing selling or withholding” any such property.

Anyone who purchases a very new-looking EVGA card from a second-hand market can confirm it’s not stolen by checking the serial number at the company’s warranty check page. Additionally, the card is genuine if it can be successfully registered and seen under My Products. EVGA will not register or honor any warranty or upgrade claims on stolen products.

Average selling prices of the RTX 3000 and Radeon RX 6000 series. No wonder thieves want them.

A recent report illustrates the sad truth that Ampere and RDNA 2 cards are becoming ever more expensive and harder to find; AMD’s products are close to their peak price. Their scarcity and amount of money needed to secure one mean more cards are appearing on the black market, but don't be tempted to buy one.

This isn’t the first case of RTX 3000 cards being hijacked. Forty containers of RTX 3090s that were worth over $330,000 were stolen from an MSI factory in China last December in what is believed to have been an insider job.

Permalink to story.

Funnily enough cartons of cigarettes are still better in NZ - a pack now selling at US$20- so $200 a carton ( I think 10 in a carton - never smoked ) -the sale for about 75% of full retail .
Title a bit misleading thousands of dollars - so 2 cards . more 100 thousand plus

Thousands of dollars worth of EVGA RTX 3000 cards
This is a joke, right? A single EVGA RTX 3000 card is worth thousands these days.

I picture a modern-day criminal sniffing coke off an RTX3090.

This is a joke, right? A single EVGA RTX 3000 card is worth thousands these days.
Sold a 3080 for 1500 dollars which I bought on release for 700 dollars. Then bought a 3080 Ti for 1400 dollars - Or I actually recieved the 3080 Ti before I sold the 3080 👌 Best perf/value I have ever seen 😂

Sold a 3080 for 1500 dollars which I bought on release for 700 dollars. Then bought a 3080 Ti for 1400 dollars - Or I actually recieved the 3080 Ti before I sold the 3080 👌 Best perf/value I have ever seen 😂
not bad, 2GB extra VRAM, roughly 10% more performance and $100 in profit

Crypto miners on suicide watch all over the world.

hrLAmUJ.jpg

At least it wasn't the Polishing Cloths.

Really though, in moving around what is more likely millions of dollars of cargo, don't they at least hide some AirTags or more specialized security versions? If this was say a shipment of gold or diamonds would they really just load it into a single truck and hope for the best?

First. It is your fault (EVGA GeForce Ceo), not my fault, nor other custumers, if your truck get robbed. As a consequence of this, you have no moral right to "dont honor any warranty or upgrade claims on stolen products." I'm just a custumer that buy a product, I dunno if it was stolen and it is written nowhere when I buy, that I have to check the serial code of a product on your website... for a mistake that "you" did.

Second, "He also notes that it is a criminal and civil offense to “conceal, sell, withhold, or aid in concealing selling or withholding” any such property." My guess is that the thiefs are organized enough to use them to farm crypto, probably they wont ever resell them. If they are organized enough to rob your truck, I guess they can be organized enough to use the videocards for themself.

third, "criminal and civil offense". To which civil behaviour are you referring to? Today a lot of companies, expecially bigger ones, tend to do not respect any civil right and morality. And what it sadden me the most is that "civil rights" are mostly used as an excuse to obtain your own personal profits. This happens everywhere.

Last edited:
It's only specifically against California law, if you buy ir in CA, the state where the original crime was committed. If you cross a state border, then the fed gets involved, and I've heard they've gotten the hang of using "TOR", and the dark web.

Obviously an inside job. Should be a fairly short list of suspects, especially once you apply intelligent profiling.

Are we really surprised? Prices are insane, then it becomes attractive to risk jail time for serious profit.

I am not a lawyer, but I have been through something like this.

Free advice from what I learned - use a credit card (not a debit card) in any transaction involving possibly stolen video cards - then check with manufacturer to confirm it is a legit video card - report it immediately if not and contact credit card issuer to reverse the transaction - also try to contact the seller as he may have bought stolen goods himself - follow up with writing to everyone (especially card issuer, EVGA, etc) - keep copies - use USPS (Certified or Registered mail).

Back