Thousands of Germans opt out of Google Street View

Archean

Thousands of Germans opt out of Google Street View

Almost 250,000 Germans have told Google to blur pictures of their homes on the Street View service.

The German government insisted that people get the chance to make the request as a condition of letting Google operate Street View.

It said personal privacy would be violated if people did not have an option to opt out.

I've been discussing street view with friends and other people I know, and frankly I haven't met anyone who want their home detailed out on the internet, for everyone. Good thing a government stood up for its citizens and forced this 800 lbs gorilla to let people make the choice (provided that they'll follow through on it). Better yet, act like the Czechs and block data gathering for this service for good. I wish others will follow this too, but I doubt that it will happen any time soon.

Probably "Street View" should be limited to public properties and landmarks. It would be rather nice to visit Luxor, Egypt from time to time, not so much the other hovel down the street. Google's really power mad. In listening to their s*** with Google TV, they seem to have the developed the mindset, that by violating your copyright, or invading your privacy, they're doing YOU a big favor.

Exactly, my comments were only targeted towards Google's insatiable desire to 'control / know' everything about its users (and non-users for that matter, when it comes to SV) and ignoring 'personal privacy'.

With regard to public buildings / monuments etc. I am totally for it :)

Now to wrap it up, wouldn't it be nice if they are forced by the governments to in-built some sort of tool which allow 'everyone' to just blur their properties.

Ouch...That Smarts.......

Now to wrap it up, wouldn't it be nice if they are forced by the governments to in-built some sort of tool which allow 'everyone' just blur their properties.
In my paranoid fantasy, Google has become the government, and the only thing we are likely to look forward to, is to have tracking chips shot into us, like the, "Google Pets", we've turned ourselves into!

Oh well, good thing I quit using Google when Bing came out, and frankly I never see any difference between the two, so all those google fanboys can dance on their tunes whereas, life is much easier when you have alternatives.

Oh well, good thing I quit using Google when Bing came out, and frankly I never see any difference between the two, so all those google fanboys can dance on their tunes whereas, life is much easier when you have alternatives.

Competition is important. Sure, it's what developes us. But I have personally despised Bing since day 1; I've never in my entire life gotten something reasonable from it.

As for the Germans; it's too bad that development and technology is squashed due to privacy and copyright. Those things are important, sure. Although Google Earth and Maps would become nearly useless if everybody claimed privacy by blurring. I personally think this is comparable to demanding that the mapping-agency should remove your house from the map, due to privacy.

Although Google Earth and Maps would become nearly useless if everybody claimed privacy by blurring. I personally think this is comparable to demanding that the mapping-agency should remove your house from the map, due to privacy.
The difference between "technological advances", that you need and want are vastly different. The different between the "technological advances" that Google wants to inflict on you, are another altogether more draconian issue entirely. A paper map will get you where you're going, without looking into the person's bathroom Window.

The old saying about, "not being able to see the forest for the trees", is completely appropriate, but in reverse. With an overview of the "Forest" you can chart your path through it. Standing in front of one tree, you're still lost, you can't see squat. and it's just being straight up nosey.

What we need to do, is get a unified grass roots protest movement going. Thereafter, when the Google "street view crew", comes a rollin' by, everybody drops trow, and moons them.

Thereafter, when the Google "street view crew", comes a rollin' by, everybody drops trow, and moons them.

Well where I live, if they show up, they'll get beaten up pretty quickly anyway; because people will perceive them as 'terrorists' ;)

I've never in my entire life gotten something reasonable from it.

I hardly ever needed to look beyond first 4-5 listings, and frankly google is pretty much same nothing more; it is just that what one want to use.

sure but c'mon... i know my house and car will be there when i go out there. if not then i have some more serious issues to ponder.

Now every car lifter in the world can see what car you have, and how he/she can simply walk out there and ..... well you get the idea.

Anyway the issue is letting corporations like google access to your property (in this case) isn't a good idea at all, I am sure they would sell everything they can (including whatever personal information they can get their hands on) to make money.

Now every car lifter in the world can see what car you have, and how he/she can simply walk out there and ..... well you get the idea.

Anyway the issue is letting corporations like google access to your property (in this case) isn't a good idea at all, I am sure they would sell everything they can (including whatever personal information they can get their hands on) to make money.
I'm still waiting for Google to rent D*** Cheney's face for their upcoming Orwellian "Google Visi-Screen" project. "Hail big D***", er, I rather meant to say, "Big Brother".

Seig....,D***.....!

I was rather hoping that they'd tattoo the swastika on his forehead, you know, like the "scarlet letter"....(Smiley giving Nazi salute goes here>>> :wave:)

I can see the grand prize that might go along with the Google/Big Brother contest, "find a flaw in Chrome, and you could win an all expenses paid trip to Auschwitz".

I don't think many will fancy Auschwitz ....... perhaps Colditz will be a better option, at least it has some history as well. Ouch ......... I just saw Porche's ugly KN going on the road next to my office *puke*. I was nearly killed by it's sight.

Back