Thousands protest in Switzerland against countrywide roll-out of 5G over health fears

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: As 5G continues its gradual global rollout, there are concerns among many of what the new technology could bring in terms of health risks. Critics argue that the threat and risks posed by electromagnetic radiation of 5G infrastructure towards humans and the environment is potentially higher than previous generations of mobile technology. A protest regarding this issue was held over the weekend in the Swiss capital of Bern as 5G looks to expand in the country.

Public concerns over 5G continue to put the spotlight on health risks that the technology could supposedly bring as thousands of new antennas get deployed in cities and urban centers.

Telecom operators in Switzerland began the installation of new 5G-compatible antennas earlier this year and the technology has become divisive for the Swiss public, where some put it as a necessity for economic development while others are fearful of the increased radiation coming from the antennas. This has resulted in antenna construction projects running into petitions, political interference and opposition.

Over the weekend, thousands protested in the city of Bern and gathered outside the Swiss parliament building with placards to voice their concerns for halting the construction of more 5G antennas.

"The fact that so many people turned out today is a strong sign against the uncontrolled introduction of 5G," said Tamlin Schibler Ulmann, co-president of Frequenica, the group that organized the rally. Opponents of 5G say that the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the new antennas pose unprecedented health and environmental risks compared to previous technologies.

Online petitions have also proven effective, causing several Swiss cantons in Geneva, Vaud, Fribourg and Neuchatel to postpone antennae construction, while the Swiss Federation of Doctors (FMH) has also advised in taking a cautious approach towards the new technology.

The opponents have also initiated a referendum requiring 100,000 signatures to go into effect that aims to suspend further 5G advancements until a thorough risk assessment of the technology is conducted.

In the US, the FCC recently reiterated 5G as being safe to use and the Swiss government appointed a group of experts last year to assess the risks associated with the introduction of this tech. Their findings are expected to be published by the end of this year.

Permalink to story.

I was afraid that only my country is so dumb, but welcome aboard Swiss

"The fact that so many people turned out today is a strong sign against the uncontrolled introduction of 5G," - yes this is a strong sign that we are going back to middle ages. Internet was invented to provide wide acces to knowledge but instead it allows populists to unite: anti vaccine, flat earth, 5G, chemtrails . . . .

Sadly, many people are hearing what they choose to believe. The fact is that prolonged exposure to this technology can have a detrimental effect. The key is what constitutes "prolonged" and at what "power". I've seen several video's on 5G that tout it's safety, some on this very site. Like so many others, there currently is no governing body that will accept the responsibility AND liability for their evaluation of 5G, especially if they do not have specific control of how and where it is used and that should be enough to worry any sensible person.

"The fact that so many people turned out today is a strong sign against the uncontrolled introduction of 5G," - yes this is a strong sign that we are going back to middle ages. Internet was invented to provide wide acces to knowledge but instead it allows populists to unite: anti vaccine, flat earth, 5G, chemtrails . . . .

I use to test water years back. Let me say that this 5G is nothing compared to the water quality in different states/cities. Also fast food or foods with artificial sugar do more damage than what 5G does.

Sadly, many people are hearing what they choose to believe. The fact is that prolonged exposure to this technology can have a detrimental effect. The key is what constitutes "prolonged" and at what "power". I've seen several video's on 5G that tout it's safety, some on this very site. Like so many others, there currently is no governing body that will accept the responsibility AND liability for their evaluation of 5G, especially if they do not have specific control of how and where it is used and that should be enough to worry any sensible person.
Mind quoting the data behind this "fact"? You are not providing data on exposure time or power output, just claiming "it is dangerous". if you dont know the specifics, then how do you know it is dangerous? WiFi can kill you, if you pump shitloads of power into it and microwave yourself alive, but in consumer application it is harmless. Most of us are saying the same thing; we heard all this before. Remember how 4g was going to kill people, how WiFi caused cancer, how Bluetooth caused cancer, ece. Remember how all those were debunked?

Sure, 5G could be dangerous. Emphasis on could. Let's see some empyrical data on the subject. If there are so many people opposed to 5g, it shouldnt be hard to fund a study on 5g's short and long term health effects on humans.

You dont need a government ot prove this. If you honestly think no private companies are looking or have already looked into 5G, I have a bridge to sell you.

I use to test water years back. Let me say that this 5G is nothing compared to the water quality in different states/cities. Also fast food or foods with artificial sugar do more damage than what 5G does.

But you can refuse fast food and sugar. Now try to refuse 5G once it was deployed. Yeah, 5G is supposed to be killing you 24/7/365. Fast food and sugar are much better in that case. You even may buy better filters for water. And where you suppose to hide from 5G?

5G is safe for this reason:

5G is barely infrared, if 5G can kill you, then visible light and ultraviolet can also kill you

But you can refuse fast food and sugar. Now try to refuse 5G once it was deployed. Yeah, 5G is supposed to be killing you 24/7/365. Fast food and sugar are much better in that case. You even may buy better filters for water. And where you suppose to hide from 5G?

5g can’t tresspass most brick buildings soo......

If you're going to freak out over the horrors if 5G, and genuinely believe that 4G / 3G / Wifi / Bluetooth is harmful, then perhaps you should consider withdrawing from modern society and living in a cabin hundreds of miles from society.

That way we never have to hear from you again.

Thing is, you'll get more "radiation" from one solar flare than in your entire life with an over-provisioned 5G radio up your ***.

Actually, there may be legitimate concern regarding 5G technology, for 2 main reasons.

Firstly, the frequency of the radiation is much higher than any comparable emissions (even from TV and radio stations) although they are dangerous because of the high wattage not the high frequency but there are only a few of them in any city. Usually on a hilltop and away from houses. 5G radiates as high as 20Ghz

Secondly even though the power setting is very low on 5G, there will far more transmitters located in highly dense urban areas because of the properties of transmission, (direct line of sight)

Although there are conspiracy nuts who claim things like "the government" can ramp up the power in order to "fry" whoever they want. This is just conspiritard nonsense.

Although until there have been studies of long term effects on humans at these frequencies, I feel there is legitimate cause for concern.

Actually, there may be legitimate concern regarding 5G technology, for 2 main reasons.

Firstly, the frequency of the radiation is much higher than any comparable emissions (even from TV and radio stations) although they are dangerous because of the high wattage not the high frequency but there are only a few of them in any city. Usually on a hilltop and away from houses. 5G radiates as high as 20Ghz

Although until there have been studies of long term effects on humans at these frequencies, I feel there is legitimate cause for concern.

There's a reasonable observational study of long term health effects of much higher frequency radiation than just 50GHz:

Everyone in the history of the planet has been bathed in a wide band of radiation around 500 THz (terahertz!), up to 15 hours of it per day in the summer. And the vast majority of those people have *died*. They're super dead right now though about 7.7 billion have avoided it so far. Better speak to those lucky ones to compare techniques.

There's a reasonable observational study of long term health effects of much higher frequency radiation than just 50GHz:

Everyone in the history of the planet has been bathed in a wide band of radiation around 500 THz (terahertz!), up to 15 hours of it per day in the summer. And the vast majority of those people have *died*. They're super dead right now though about 7.7 billion have avoided it so far. Better speak to those lucky ones to compare techniques.

It is ridiculous to say that since solar radiation is relatively safe, it is also safe to place your head inside of a microwave. You are the one claiming those frequencies are safe, why don't you do that?

Don't be so dishonest ok. Most people are misinformed but there is nothing wrong with being cautious.

All it takes is a campaign with actual data that explains and shows why there is a difference between a cellphone tower and a microwave oven even though they may be operating in a similar band.

Do you know or can explain what that difference is? If you can't then you are just as silly and dogmatic as the protesters.

I actually think delays to study the effects of the ultra-high frequency 5G deployments are warranted. Typical frequencies up to 6Ghz are well known in cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth etc and cause no problem provided they are used properly.

What's less known is the effect of high powered signalling in the 90 ghz range.

It is ridiculous to say that since solar radiation is relatively safe, it is also safe to place your head inside of a microwave. You are the one claiming those frequencies are safe, why don't you do that?

It is ridiculous to compare a microwave oven to a cell phone so I'll just assume you are aware that microwave ovens and cell phones emit different amounts of power and you just forgot while making your generous personal remarks about me.

Microwave oven: 600W of energy with little leakage assuming 50% efficiency. That's why your head shouldn't be in there, because it'll get hot. Like an oven (it's in the name!).

FYI, cell phone: max 3W, usually kept below that unless you have a very weak signal, and more than half is emitted away from you. 600W>>3W, big difference.

The reason that cell phones are limited to 3W is the exact same reason that I rarely stick my head in the microwave. Significantly above this wattage, you get local tissue heating from the radio emissions, just like a microwave.

Don't be so dishonest ok. Most people are misinformed but there is nothing wrong with being cautious.

All it takes is a campaign with actual data that explains and shows why there is a difference between a cellphone tower and a microwave oven even though they may be operating in a similar band.

Do you know or can explain what that difference is? If you can't then you are just as silly and dogmatic as the protesters.

What's your point about the cell phone tower and microwave ovens? One is used high in the air to disperse a signal and the other is used in an small enclosed environment to heat food. And the most powerful 5G metro band cell tower is only 20W. 1/30th of a microwave oven!

I agree that research into the effects of radio emissions of all types should continue.

Never thought I'd be alive to see people opposing faster Internet.

And what is "prolonged exposure" anyhow? I'd me more concerned about growing roots and hemorrhoids after prolonged sitting at the computer.

It is ridiculous to compare a microwave oven to a cell phone so I'll just assume you are aware that microwave ovens and cell phones emit different amounts of power and you just forgot while making your generous personal remarks about me.

Microwave oven: 600W of energy with little leakage assuming 50% efficiency. That's why your head shouldn't be in there, because it'll get hot. Like an oven (it's in the name!).

FYI, cell phone: max 3W, usually kept below that unless you have a very weak signal, and more than half is emitted away from you. 600W>>3W, big difference.

The reason that cell phones are limited to 3W is the exact same reason that I rarely stick my head in the microwave. Significantly above this wattage, you get local tissue heating from the radio emissions, just like a microwave.

What's your point about the cell phone tower and microwave ovens? One is used high in the air to disperse a signal and the other is used in an small enclosed environment to heat food. And the most powerful 5G metro band cell tower is only 20W. 1/30th of a microwave oven!

I agree that research into the effects of radio emissions of all types should continue.
Also cell towers and phones are largely omni-directional. That energy intensity is essentially distributed in the full 3 dimensional arc which greatly diminishes the power at a particular point.

you are forgetting rf is subject to the inverse square law. aka power drops off insanely quick at a distance. devices also use very low power to transmit and higher frequencies tend to just reflect off surfaces. by the time you pass 5ghz even leaves are getting in the way of signal path/causing multi pathing. is there likely a risk to sleeping on a base station antenna every night? yep.... is that something you see the majority of people doing?

Also cell towers and phones are largely omni-directional. That energy intensity is essentially distributed in the full 3 dimensional arc which greatly diminishes the power at a particular point.

no they arnt. well non mais oui (as the french say). traditionally (pre beam forming and now but "enhanced") viewed as a whole they are omni. but ever notice they are covered in vertical stripes at the top? those are directional antennas.

a cell tower is actually a set(group) of sub cells with antenas that rx/tx in a narrow directional beam and laid next to eachother around the tower till 360 degree coverage. the reason this is done is frequency/bandwidth is scarce.

various schemes exist to cram users into the same frequency space but nothing is as efficient as reusing the same frequencies on the otherside of the tower or two 30-60deg beam antennas away. if every cell was a big omnidirectional antenna this couldn't happen.

combined with even the basic freq sharing techs like tdma and cdma and even old school radio concepts like squelch. this allowed a lot of reuse. esp when you consider how weak a phones signal is and that directional antennas arnt just directional in transmit operations.

see antenna propagation pattern on google if you are still not following.

recent advances have brought what was once military only /darpa tech to both wifi and cell towers. that tech is called beam forming. they use even more directional antennas to steer /focus a signal at a desired point. with out writing a novel the principle is additive and destructive interference.

first off, not just similar, some cell sites operate directly adjacent to 2.4ghz ism.

if industry has its way wifi will have to share with cell towers

(which will be total crap because all wifi radios listen before talking and have random wait period if they detect their channel is in use... this is also why if you use double wide 2.4ghz channels and live in an apt/flat or dense neighborhood, you are screwing yourself and everyone around you out of decent speeds)...I digress.

all wifi not on 5ghz is exactly the same band as your microwave oven. 802.11b was notoriously crap when someone in the house wanted popcorn.

whats the diff/why is one safe? bet you think dihydrogen monoxide isnt toxic, ask the chico california Chi Tau members if its required or toxic... the answer is, both.

dose makes the poison. radio is also subject to inverse square law. aka for every time you double the distance from the source, the power level is cut to 1/4th. as I said in another reply, I wouldnt want to sleep on a base station antenna every night. thats also not a very common use case or concern. by the time you are 3m from the 20w base... the signal is incredibly weak. higher frequencies also bounce off even skin. above a few ghz even leaves cause reflection/multi pathing.

another reason its of little concern... if you live near an airport with twdr radar... youve been blasted with weak 5.xghz for the entire time. maybe wanna read a bit more or add that to your crusade 15 years late? while you are likely never in direct path of its beam... you probably dont want to hear that its peak power is 250,000 watts and thats 250kw (incase you happen to be european/ , and . are not the same meaning as I assume)

Last edited:

jesus yes ... damn ludite trolls. case in point, my wife's work had a ''Wifi sensitive person'' file a lawsuit that she could not work and petitioned for disabled status based on her health issues due to to many wifi spots in the office. So to prove a point we had a 'exit interview'in the least wifi accessible room in the building .. in the exit interview room we 'removed' the wifi node and ... I shoved it in the cabinet... along with another 5 various brand wifi routers and access points in a jumbled heap and updated the routes to include them....

***** thanked us for removing the visible node on the interview camera.. and ''felt better''... right up until I opened the wood cabinet door and just stared at her.. for like 3 full minutes in complete silence with all the blinking lights behind me until she left the room without a word.

5g can’t tresspass most brick buildings soo......

It's about you sitting in that very brick building like a microwave. Go outside, drive on a highway, and try sitting in a stadium or where there's plenty of people, each on their 5G phone connecting to a tower miles away.

Wow, protesting in Switzerland, who would have thought? The training ground for political activism for those people who can't help themselves to wake up each day to change the world.

Back