TechSpot

Three GPUs on system with only one discrete graphics card?

By ViPeRMiMiS
Sep 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello guys, I have a question that I can't find an answer on the net anywhere.
    If I buy a Sandy Bridge processor such as Core i5 2500K for exaple, this CPU has a GPU inside the CPU right? (HD 3000 right?). Secondly, let's say my motherboard has onboard graphics. So I install a discrete GPU and then I have 3 gpus without crossfire/sli ? How can I use the 3 of them simultaneusly ?
    Please answer this question is bugging me for ages xD
    Thanks

2. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,608   +295

You can't. Your motherboard (Z68 chipset) might support switching between the discrete cards and the on CPU gpu for power saving. But you basically use one or the other. There is no provision for utilizing the power of all 3 graphics systems.

3. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TS Enthusiast Posts: 207

as arris said , you can only use one of them at the same time

4. ViPeRMiMiS

ViPeRMiMiS TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 84

Thank you very much :D

5. ViPeRMiMiS

6. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TS Enthusiast Posts: 207

you are welcome:)

7. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

In your example you only have two GPUs. The Sandy Bridge CPU and a compatible motherboard combine to give you one onboard GPU.

8. ViPeRMiMiS

9. wiak

wiak TS Enthusiast Posts: 42

depends on motherboard if you have a amd motherboard and/or apu you can run them with surroundview with a amd discrete graphics card and use all the display outputs

amd's discrete graphics cards support upto 6 displays from a single card using eyefinity technology, and you get superior graphics performance compared to intel

10. ViPeRMiMiS

Thank you very much :D
    I don't want to use EyeFinity and those useless things. I mean what's the point of using 6 monitors? OMG!! One Monitor FullHD is fine for everyone :D