Thunderbolt bandwidth to double in 2014 with Falcon Ridge

By Jos
Jul 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel's Thunderbolt is still getting off the ground when it comes to consumer adoption, with only a handful of systems supporting the high-speed interconnect and just as few peripherals that can take advantage of it. But Intel is not slowing……

Read more
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

50 bucks for a cable? If I was going to go out and spend $50 for a cable, I'd buy an HDMI cable.
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 962   +98

N
    Damn where you get your cables from, I bought my HDMI (gold plated head) for around $10.
  4. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 395   +102

I hope everyone realizes that, uh, there's actually a legitimate reason why Thunderbolt cables are so expensive.
  5. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Thats.... a lot of speed for any commercial device out there....
  6. gwailo247

Best Buy?
  7. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 962   +98

Well around £5 give or take £2 in UK. It was not a major store, a Computer Hardware store. Ebuyer has HDMI cables from around £5 to £10 and more.
  8. gwailo247

It was a joke, Best Buy was famous for trying to get customers to buy $99 Monster HDMI cables, when, as you said, $10 would suffice. =)
  9. It was a joke, Best Buy was famous for trying to get customers to buy $99 Monster HDMI cables, when, as you said, $10 would suffice. =)

Monster HDMI cables are really better quality and use higher grade materials, did a comparision test on the cables with a cheap alternative. however really is $80 more worth such difference, well unless your connecting to a 80" or greater display, your eyes cant tell the diff.
  10. No. No, no... no.

No audiophile, videophile, or even digital analysis of the signal can tell the difference between the signals in differently constructed HDMI cables. If you're using extreme cable lengths, then you may be able to avoid getting a signal booster by going with a big thick fancy brand cable, but that's only going to help you with the signal cutting out entirely.

HDMI is digital, not analog. It's sending a series of ones and zeros over that cable, and a Monster cable isn't going to "open up the sound stage" of those ones, or "increase the color saturation and clarity" of those zeros.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.