Time/Clock changes when rebooting from WinXp/Linux Dual-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheninrome

I installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 on a spare partition on my WinXP machine a few weeks ago. When I do a complete system reboot (Going through BIOS, POST and choosing Windows XP through LILO), the time on WinXP changes to GMT. When I correct the time on WinXP, the time changes under Linux. I have tried toggling the NTP server synching option as well as other options to no avail. I have set both operating systems to local time. Can someone help me out with this annoying, yet trivial problem?

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Check if /etc/sysconfig/clock has an option UTC=0.
this is what it says in "clock"

UTC=true
ARC=false
ZONE=US/Pacific

So is this a problem with WindowsXP or with GNU/Linux? The time has been synching up fine in Linux. It seems like the problem is with Windows, but I'm not sure.

There is no problem. It is just Windows and Unix have different philosophies when it comes to hardware clock.

Windows thinks that it is a good idea to keep the computer hardware clock in sync with the system (software) clock. In Unix the common setting is to keep the hardware clock at UTC and shift the system clock according to the timezone and daylight savings.

Setting UTC to false in your Linux clock config should fix it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back