Tired of my audio not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading forums and trying everything for hours now... I hope you can help.

I just reformatted and did a fresh install of XP Pro. My sound doesn't work now. I set my BIOS to onBoard sound (which is listed as AC'97 Audio in the Bios).

My sound options in the Device Manager are Audio Codecs, Creative Game Port, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, and Video Codecs. Sometimes, depending on the last trick I tried, Multimedia Audio Controller is flagged as a problem without any drivers. I though I had SoundMax on my mobo, but none of those drivers will install. I get the error message saying Driver not found, Reboot and try again. This is extremely frustrating to me. Let me kow what else you need to know to try and help, I'd appreciate that. Thank you!

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe (K8VSEDX Rev 1.xx) I've tried the Realtek drivers. I have the UAA driver installed, but I'm not even sure I need it. I have Service Pack 3.

It's a Soundmax.. and no, you don't need the UAA driver.

Remove the UAA driver. If it refuses to go, post back.

Download and run Driver Cleaner. Use it to remove any old drivers you installed for your soundcard.

Download the proper driver here and install it. You'll have to enter your model in the search box.

Reboot.

If this fails, let me know and we can go a little deeper.

I did all that and upon rebooting it said it found new hardware. This is the Multimedia Audio Controller. Then it said it could not install the hardware. And my sound still does not work. Is there a difference in the driver's on that page? I used the most recent one. I think I've done all this before except the driver cleaner, which didn't seem to do anything.

With driver cleaner, you need to pick the drivers to uninstall from the list, the click to clean them. It removes remnants that often mess up driver installs.

Well, that last one was one of the drivers I've tried a million times. It gives an error of "Driver not found, reboot your system and try again".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back