Titan black or GTX 780 + Quadro K4000 for 3d modeling/gaming

boagz

So I recently purchased a gtx 780 SC with the intention of gaming and doing 3d modeling work and game development with maya/blender/unreal engine 4. Originally, I was thinking of starting with the 780 and maybe a little later get the mid range quadro k4000 to use specifically for the 3d modeling work. I was wondering if just purchasing a GTX titan black with its double precision floating point performance would be a better option? Doing this would be around 100-150 cheaper and I would be able to game and do 3d modeling work with one card. I guess my main question is does the titan black compare with the quadro card mentioned above in terms of 3d modeling? I know the K4000 is a mid-ranged card so I wasn't sure if the titan maybe would do even a little better than the k4000? Any help appreciated.

So I recently purchased a gtx 780 SC with the intention of gaming and doing 3d modeling work and game development with maya/blender/unreal engine 4. Originally, I was thinking of starting with the 780 and maybe a little later get the mid range quadro k4000 to use specifically for the 3d modeling work. I was wondering if just purchasing a GTX titan black with its double precision floating point performance would be a better option? Doing this would be around 100-150 cheaper and I would be able to game and do 3d modeling work with one card. I guess my main question is does the titan black compare with the quadro card mentioned above in terms of 3d modeling? I know the K4000 is a mid-ranged card so I wasn't sure if the titan maybe would do even a little better than the k4000? Any help appreciated.
As far as 3D modeling goes, the biggest thing you will need is ram on the card for the blender and 3D modeling aspect. Some programs are specifically limited to the Quaddro series of cards which means you will have to check if the programs you use will work with any GPU.

Basically, I would say either just get a 780ti 6gb edition (Being released this month I believe) if your programs will all work fine on the GTX series of cards. Or if that won't work, you should be fine with the 780 and grabbing a Quaddro series card to go with it. I would say only get Titan black if you really need the extra compute performance it brings because otherwise its expensive and still would end up being better in my book just getting an K4000 with your 780 since you already own the 780.

As far as 3D modeling goes, the biggest thing you will need is ram on the card for the blender and 3D modeling aspect. Some programs are specifically limited to the Quaddro series of cards which means you will have to check if the programs you use will work with any GPU.

Basically, I would say either just get a 780ti 6gb edition (Being released this month I believe) if your programs will all work fine on the GTX series of cards. Or if that won't work, you should be fine with the 780 and grabbing a Quaddro series card to go with it. I would say only get Titan black if you really need the extra compute performance it brings because otherwise its expensive and still would end up being better in my book just getting an K4000 with your 780 since you already own the 780.
I would just keep the 780 like GR or upgrade to a Titan Black. Gaming cards are probably the best for developing games but Maya could make use of the K4000. Remember Maya is very OpenGL oriented (they may have switched to DX, not totally sure though). I am not sure if Unreal and Blender use DX or OpenGL. The best bet would be to either stick with your 780 and get a Quadro or just go with a Titan Black like you had thought of.

Thanks for the responses. And ya the reason I was asking now was because I am still within the window to return my 780 and then use that money to upgrade to the titan (since overall it would be cheaper than getting the quadro not too far down the line). And GR what would the compute performance come in handy for? Better for rendering purposes? I just don't know what aspects of GPU's make some better for 3d modeling and some better for gaming (more cuda's, higher ram, etc.)

Thanks for the responses. And ya the reason I was asking now was because I am still within the window to return my 780 and then use that money to upgrade to the titan (since overall it would be cheaper than getting the quadro not too far down the line). And GR what would the compute performance come in handy for? Better for rendering purposes? I just don't know what aspects of GPU's make some better for 3d modeling and some better for gaming (more cuda's, higher ram, etc.)
Blender for instance relies mostly on high amounts of ram, hence why lots of purchases of the original Titan since it was a card with 6gb of ram that was cheaper than the Quaddro's with the same amount.

Quaddro always focus straight up on the compute, and the different softwares that are designed for Cuda development.

Biggest issue is that for blender the extra double precision performance is not used or supported by softwares like Blender Cycles which does make the Titan a hard sell. The biggest advantage still came from the 6gb of VRAM which Cuda Blender eats as much as you will give it.

If you really want to do alot of 3D and render, the more Vram on GK110 the better. I would suggest the 6gb GTX 780ti by EVGA if you can get one because you will end up based on what your saying as well off with that card over buying a GTX Titan Black which will cost at least 200+ more dollars than this card and the benefits won't be enough in my book to justify the price.

If later you need more compute, I would just grab a Quaddro later down the line if you really get hard core into needing the Quaddro software's and the Compute. But I would think a 6gb GTX 780ti would serve you the best of all.

Last edited:
Quadro cards are really for hardcore professionals that render huge projects and make use of the ECC memory and certified drivers. Anything with lots of VRAM like GR said would be fine.

Thanks guys. You guys are great. Ya that's the biggest thing I wanted to know was in what capacity do you really need these quadro cards. Obviously I wont be working on any AAA games, however I would like to work in things like maya/blender and zbrush and not have too many hiccups slowing my workflow. And I do hope that 6gb version of the GTX 780 ti comes out this month so I can upgrade with EVGA's step up program. You only get 90days with it I think.

Thanks guys. You guys are great. Ya that's the biggest thing I wanted to know was in what capacity do you really need these quadro cards. Obviously I wont be working on any AAA games, however I would like to work in things like maya/blender and zbrush and not have too many hiccups slowing my workflow. And I do hope that 6gb version of the GTX 780 ti comes out this month so I can upgrade with EVGA's step up program. You only get 90days with it I think.
Yes, well I doubt for your needs the gains of spending money on a quaddro card are needed. They in reality only benefit full professionals doing very high levels of work (Like 3D movie graphics, games etc). You won't experience any problems with the programs your working with just using the cards suggested. It will all just mostly come down to RAM and the fact your using GK110 so it should be fast enough.

There is no need to spend money on a Quadro card unless an application specifically needs it or your career depends on your quality of work. BUT, if you work with large Maya projects/large models, than you REALLY do need a Quadro card. But if you are still getting into the field, a gaming GPU is fine. I would get a 780Ti 3GB and if it doesnt work efficiently with your workloads in Maya, then I would just purchase another Quadro card and pop it in alongside the 780Ti and use it for rendering purposes and the 780 Ti for gaming.

Thanks guys. Just outta curiosity though do u know of any websites that have compared the 780 ti titan black and other gaming gpu's to the quadro? Or at least what test should I look at when determining a cards efficiency for 3d modeling.

Yeah but a program like Maya would make great use of the K6000. In some cases a really cheap professional GPU could outclass a high end gaming one in certain scenarios.
Yea, like I said it comes down to the programs you use in the end. But in more cases than naught, a higher ram card will benefit rendering more than spending the extra on a titan.

Plus again, a cheap quaddro card can always be added later if for some reason you need it.

Yea, like I said it comes down to the programs you use in the end. But in more cases than naught, a higher ram card will benefit rendering more than spending the extra on a titan.

Plus again, a cheap quaddro card can always be added later if for some reason you need it.
Yeah if the gaming GPU doesnt suit his needs he can easily just pop in a Quadro card for rendering purposes.

Ya I think I might go that route and get a quadro k4000 and put it in my open PCI-e slot. On that note do you guys know how I would do a two graphics card set up? Say I have two monitors, can I just plug the quadro card into one so I can run maya on that one and then run another program on my other one with the GTX 780?

Yeah you can easily do that. Just install the both drivers separately and the system will figure it out.

I know I'm a bit late to this discussion... But I'm going through this exact situation now...

I purchased two Titan Black Hydros (and trying to get a 3rd but they are currently sold out)...

Although now I saw that performance of the new 980ti card seems to beat the Titan Black at a much better price tag.

My goal is to perform as good as possible with 3D Maya modeling while also doing great at games. I'm using triple ROG Swift monitors with nVidia surround (which is another reason I need the 3 cards).

But based on much that I have been reading recently, I can't help but wonder if I have gone down the right path?

Would it be better to go 3x 980ti over 3x Titan Blacks? Seems like the Titans have more RAM for Maya so maybe I'm still in good shape?

Back