To Replace or Upgrade?

I have a HP a1020n Pavilion I use to do audio reconditioning on, it's running WinXP. I've maxed the memory and have a terabyte drive installed already. My question is; should I bother to try to upgrade to Win7 and add a DirectX 9 video card and a better audio card to replace the onboard chip or just junk it and buy something newer with Win7 packaged with it? I've read one thread here by someone trying to install an upgraded video (Upgrading video card on HP Pavilion a1020n with ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-e) and it doesn't paint a very good picture of trying to do any of this. Any thoughts/advice are appreciated.

It isn't worth the money to upgrade in exchange for the performance increase you would get.

What do you audio reconditioning with? What software? Potentially you could scrap XP, install Linux and use Audacity. Only costs you your time, no money.

I've done a fair bit of audio reconditioning of speeches recorded on cassette tapes with Audacity.

I agree with SNGX it'll be more bang for your buck if you just upgrade the whole system. Sure upgrading video and audio now may be nice for a year or two, but after that you would have to upgrade the whole system anyway. Might as well do it now and just spend more to get a better system that will last you 4, 5+ years.

It isn't worth the money to upgrade in exchange for the performance increase you would get.

What do you audio reconditioning with? What software? Potentially you could scrap XP, install Linux and use Audacity. Only costs you your time, no money.

I've done a fair bit of audio reconditioning of speeches recorded on cassette tapes with Audacity.

Thanks for you input. To answer your question about the software I use it's Goldwave 5.55. I also am working from cassette tapes some almost 30 years old, possibly older.

@ricki so now, with that information. You could scrap XP, run some flavor of linux on it that is appropriate for that age hardware, and continue to do what you are doing but use Audacity rather than Goldwave. All of this is free other than your time.

Back