TechSpot

Too many operating systems

By annapolis
Nov 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. ok, this probably sounds crazy, but i have a computer two hard drives, one for OS and one for storage. I had XP on the OS drive and went to install windows 7. when it asked me which drive i wanted to use, they weren't labels "C" and "D" as usualy, so i couldn't tell. naturally, the one i chose was the wrong one! now i have two operating systems, and windows 7 wiped out all my stored data! first, I assume there's no way to restore the storage drive? secondly, i can't tell from windows explorer which drive is XP and which drive is windows 7! are there certain files or folders i can look for as clues? i want to format the drive that had XP on it now, so i only have one OS.

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 899   +39

Programs like Recuva or Testdisk/Photorec might be able to help w/ recovering some of the files.

Windows 7 doesn't have a "Documents and Settings" folder. Instead, it's "Users". These are in the root directory.

3. annapolis

annapolis TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks

Rabbit01 - thanks for the response.
    I'll check the folders and give "recuva" a try.

4. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 899   +39

Recovery depends on whether the data was over-written by the OS installation. So, depends on the file type, it can be a full, partial, or zero recovery. Also, run the recovery program from a flash drive instead of installing it onto the hard drive. That way, it won't over-write anything. BTW, Recuva has a deep scan option, it'll take longer but has a better chance of locating files. Good luck.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.