Top 10 Favorite movies of all time!

krowdpeleeza

Thought this would be a Fun Topic:

What's your top 10 Favorite movies of all Time?

My Personal Favorites
1. The Indiana Jones Trilogy
2. The StarWars Trilogy 4-6
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Scarface
5. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - (I know I havent seen the last one yet, but I'm sure I'll Like it)
6. The Fifth Element
7. Batman 1
8. Willow
9. The Shining - The Orginal
10. Snatch - I would be lying to myself if i didnt add it!

*note - there is no particular order to how much i like these movies. They are really just a representation of movies that I can watch continuously without ever getting tired of them!

Looks like you still have some growing up to do. Good movies, but not much of a mix there :=).

Night/Return of the Living Dead
only those directed by George Romero
along with any other living dead movies directed by him.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
and yes, kind of like krowdpeleeza said, we all know Return of the King isn't going to be any less of a hit than LOTR 1 and 2.

Dune

(just to name a few)

Favorite Actors:
Jim Carrey
Matthew Lillard
Adam Sandler
Lee Lee Sobieski

1) the empire strikes back

I simply cannot watch this film any more without wanting to act it out on the spot. So many times have I heard those lines - heard every intonation and listened to every sound, that I almost feel inside this movie when I watch it. It’s a part of me and my childhood. Almost like a part of my soul. And yet, almost every time I do watch this film (which is still a lot, although not all the way through, these days), I notice something new.

Although in so many ways a timeless classic, my primary fascination with the film is as the epitome of everything that is truly “Dark Side Darth”. This movie really is Vader’s moment – his true apotheosis where he shows us just how great a cinematic villain he really can be. Far more shocking than his slaying of Kenobi or his supposed murder of Anakin, we discover, is Vader’s dealing with failure in his own organisation - that he has the power to destroy people even over the vastness of space, by concentrating pure evil. Following on from such classic lines in A New Hope as “I find your lack of faith disturbing…”, Vader follows through with some true gems: “Apology accepted, Captain Needa”and “You have failed me for the last time, Admiral” being just a couple of timeless examples. Ultimately, Vader steals the show almost entirely, despite the stiff competition in the form of Yoda, and of course the superb acting from Mark Hamill who seems at times to truly be fighting an interior battle between fear and anger and the desire to feel and listen to the power of goodness. That final scene where Vader is revealed as Luke’s father is surely an all time classic moment in cinematic history. May it live eternal, alongside Shakespear as a wonderful journey into what it means to be human and to feel as one - love and hate made one, in a single, terrifying moment. Its the stuff of legends.

However, to suggest that Vader is the main thread of this film though, would be ridiculous. His powerful presence is just one in a series of significant components that go into making this film an all time classic, not the least of which are the inspired love scenes (from bitching at each other to snogging in literally seconds), the superb dialogue of the droids ("I'm terribly sorry about all this, after all, he's only a wookie!)", the creation of Yoda and of course the impressive special effects which still looking just fine and sexy even today. All through this film are brilliant examples of the use of colour, from the contrasting whiteness of Hoth to the deep and rich greens of Dagobah, and the films musical score is just spot on.

I would have to agree, though, that my consideration of this as my favourite film is in part due to nostalgic purposes. Its almost the embodiment of everything it meant to be a kid when I was one, being a kid who grew up during the 80s.

But that is not the only good movie that I have watched…..

2) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I don’t even want to begin on why I adore this film. (And I say film, because it is just one film in three acts.) There’s no point. If you have seen it, you KNOW WHY I DO. You also know why its my number 2, and that its quite possibility number one. I mean that, I really do. Title fight, round one with “Empire”. And as these movies mature with age, they may even indeed come to be even better. This movie is everything that cinema SHOULD BE. Its proof that, even today with all these computer generated crap in everything, we can still make good movies; we can still make timeless ones. Its proof that we (today's western society) haven't lost our spirit at all. We are just rediscovering it. And that's fine.

3) highlander

“One dream. One Soul. One Prize. One Goal. In the end, there can be only one.”

From very first minute of wonderful movie staring Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery, we know we are in for something special. A classic tale of love, companionship, struggle and vengeance spanning hundreds of years, Highlander is a film that I defy you to find fault in (unless that's any one of the rather sad sequels). Whether it’s the medieval Scottish Battles – lovingly recreated in a truly authentic style – the powerful acting or the wonderfully created soundtrack by Queen, there is something for everyone in this film. An absolute must see.

4) Interview with the vampire

A superb and passionately created vision of Anne Rice’s classic vampire novel, Interview is replete with superb moments, not just from the beautiful performance of a very young Kirsten Dunst, but also from Tom, who was just not going to be happy until he made the part of Lestat his.

Like so many other people, I cringed in the face of the announcement that Cruise was to take the part of such a wonderful character as Lestat De LionCourt, but Cruise gives it his all and ultimately does steal the show. And you know why. Because Tom is loving every last minute of it – embracing the character of Lestat and making it his. One only needs to recall his crashing through the window of the burning mansion to immediately burst into moaning “perfect! Perfect!” to realise that Cruise BECOMES Lestat in this movie. I take back everything I said about him. He was great.

But its not just Cruise that’s good in this movie. Everyone in it is. I don’t think that there is one actor or actress in this movie that should not have been there. And they all did exactly what they were supposed to do – make this film a worthy adaptation of what is a very sensitive, and difficult story to make into a film. Many times over the years numerous producers tackled this timeless novel by Rice and failed. Finally, someone pulled it off. I am so glad.

5) excalibur

“No one shall have the sword. Nobody shall wield Excalibur, but me!”

Oh man, don’t mess with this movie. Not unless you want to pick a fight with only the most gripping interpretation of the legend of King Arthur I have ever seen. Its just so…. GRAPHIC! From the armour clad sex scenes to the superb and bloody battles, the blood and the gore and the lust and the mystery of the enigmatic English forests, this film is a journey back to a time where Good and Evil were embodied in the King and his country, and the stuff of legends therein.

“You’re not a man at all. I shall find a man. And give birth to a God!”

Need I say any more?

Honourable mentions

flash gordon
blade runner
indiana jones films - ALL
hellraiser
Dune
Pulp Fiction
shawshank redemption
silence of the lambs
The Matrix
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Godfather
Pi
Blackadder's Xmas Carol

…and so many others I could not count.

I am also going to have to go with Interview with the Vampire, although the film could have been done better it is still good. The books are some of the MOST AMAZING books I have ever read. At the moment I have only ready books 1-3 of the Vampire Chronicles and I have to say they are among the top 4-5 books I have EVER read and I've read over a thousand books in my time.
Anne Rice is nothing short of a genius, and you mentioned Shakespear well I believe she should be up there with him on the list of greatest writers ever.

When you mentioned Exacalibur it kind of reminded me of the original Romeo and Juliet movie. (Not that crap with Leo Dicaprio) but the original version. It's a pretty well done movie and the girl in, I just have to say, is beautiful.

So..

Night/Return of the Living Dead (George Romero)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Dune

OH! OH OH! How could I forget!?

The Labyrinth! :D

Also.. The Patriot.

I love movies about the Revolutionary War. Ive had a fasination with it since 5th grade.

Really, a good movie is a movie that says something about the human condition. We can make it interesting by making it have space ships, or balrogs or Daleks, Darth Maul or Agent Dale Cooper, but a good movie is a movie that makes us think about what it is to be human - or to examine a particular side of humanity.

Take "Highlander" - its an exploration of what it would really be like to not be able to die, and also what it means to live forever - no one in the movie wants to do that, because the prize is to be able to die!

Or "The Empire Strikes Back" is about making us feel that it can feel good to be evil - if we use it to punish incompetence or use our own anger to make us stronger. Its about being faced with a choice to be a good person or a bad person and living with the consequences of that decision.

Back to The Future Trilogy seems good to me. I like Matrix not the sequel and some more i m not able to recall this time around.

I haven't done a list myself but from the top of my head here are some of the movies that would at least rank in my top 20 (btw, for trilogies, etc. I won't mention all pictures):
The Godfather, Star Wars, The Matrix, Seven Years in Tibet, Forrest Gump, Fight Club, The Lord of the Rings, A Beautiful Mind, Liar Liar, Meet Joe Black, Good Will Hunting...

Other movies that deserve a mention but wouldn't be sure could make it to my top 20:
The Pianist, The Exorcist, The Ring, Austin Powers, A Clockwork Orange, Catch Me If You Can, As good as it gets, The Shining, X-Men, The Rock, Con-Air, Dead Poets Society, Die Hard, Eyes Wide Shut, Blair Witch Project..

Worst movies ever:
Artificial Intelligence, Chicago, 8 Mile...

Can't put them in an order, let's have some names:

One flew over the cuckoo's nest...perhaps this is no. 1 on my list
Lord of the Rings
Memento
Fight Club
Groundhog Day
Shichinin no samurai (Seven Samurai)
Almost Famous
Pulp Ficton
Donnie Darko
The Apartment

The original Jaws and Alien. Scared the hell out of me when I saw them the first time. Also Rosmary's Baby.

Let's not forget;

1. Evil Dead Trilogy
2. Anything by David Lynch - "Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway"
3. Braveheart
4. The Ring
5. Debbie Does Dallas
6. True Romance
7. Blade I & II
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Desperado
10. Gladiator

These are just a few of the top of my head.....

I like many films (too many to mention), but only if they have a decent plot, and are well made ...

Alien (all)
Star Wars (all)
The Great Escape
The Thing
Its a Wonderful Life
Citizen Kane
The Lord of the Rings
Fargo
The Shawshank Redemption
Duck Soup
The Killing Fields
Erin Brockovich
etc.

What I don't like is films that don't have a decent plot ...

Gone in sixty seconds
The Rock
Rambo
Speed
Scary Movie
Home Alone
Universal Soldier
Blair Witch (it does have its moments)
Barb Wire
Armagedon
Mortal Kombat
etc.

Originally posted by young&wild
Back to The Future Trilogy seems good to me. I like Matrix not the sequel and some more i m not able to recall this time around.

I LOVED The Back to the Future movies, all of them. This is an example of how some people can come together and really have a good time making a great script come to life, for the sheer hell of it. Just to enjoy it. Just to have a good time, and bring a good time to the audience as well. Not just a good 3 comedy movies but also clever films in their use of time travel, parallel realities, recurring situations, etc.

Originally posted by olefarte
The original Jaws and Alien. Scared the hell out of me when I saw them the first time. Also Rosmary's Baby.

Of course, Jaws and Alien are all time classics.

I first say Rosmary's Baby when I was about 13 I think, and the ending was perhaps the most frightened I have ever been during a film. Particularly chilling was, I believe, an old lady proclaiming "Hail Satan!" Wonderful and scarey stuff, its paranoid mood and dreamy atmosphere are just spot on.

Lord of the Rings
The Matrix
Office Space
Dumb and Dumber
Snatch
Fight Club
Rudy
Hunt For Red October
Shawshank Redemption

Phant, as I am also :). My parents think it is uncanny about how I know so many actors/actresses names and know so much about so many movies. I tend to correct people about movie facts a lot or movie quotes, and my parents always ask me who someone is in a movie or what other movie they played in.

Though I am a very hard to please critic. I dont see many movies at all that I am impressed with. I would say a LOT of the movies that would be in my favorites category are from the 80's.

Favorite Movie = Gone in 60 Seconds
and yes, it does have a decent plot thank ya!

Originally posted by Phantasm66
The Empire Strikes Back is my fav. I can't be bothered typing the others.

Is that the one with the Ewoks at the end, with the giant battle seen? Well the one with the Ewoks big battle scene at the end is my favorite Star Wars movie :grinthumb

shawshank redemption

Thats a very good movie! ;)

The Matrix is defently up there...
Terminator 2.

Scariest movie: Red Dragon.
Im too chicken to see Silence of the Lambs now, as I left in red dragon as he bit the dudes toung out of his mouth and sent him down the street in flames :dead: FREAKIN SCARY MOVIE. Havnt seen Hannible either (thank god)

The Ring was the lamest let down ever....completly boring, and not scary the least bit.
--

btw Nic,

Rambo
Speed
Mortal Kombat (not no.2)

are also awesome movies!!!!! those are good!! not plottless.

Scary Movie 1 & 2 are just down-right hilarious.

Back