Top 10 Tech Pranks in Time for April Fools' Day

By dkpope
Mar 28, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Pranks are awesome. They are one of those few things in life that most people can unequivocally agree on being great. Pranks are in the same league with cat videos, candy, and free stuff – everyone loves 'em. (Except for that one guy you know, but he's still sore from your last prank. Lighten up, Joe!)

You've probably already pranked some lucky members of your life at one time or another. Maybe you deployed the humble Whoopee cushion or used the vacuum on someone sound asleep. Fun times, but are you really living up to your prankster potential? You're a tech-savvy individual, and it's time that your pranks showed that. We've got some ideas...

Read the complete article.

2. thorpj

thorpj TS Enthusiast Posts: 88   +13

For budding developers, create a little program that makes the mouse jitter randomly, and have random keyboard inputs. Then after a minute or two, have a popup "You're computer is overheating" or "_____ has stopped responding"

Edit: Where I first saw the idea:
    . Mess with your friends, and learn a little bit about an interesting skill
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  3. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Guru Posts: 337   +43

Another simple fun one that always gets a "WTF?" is to press the victim's num lock or scroll lock key.
  4. TechnoSapien

TechnoSapien TS Member

Ones I've used in the past for a chuckle...
    - Reset all Windows UI colors to black for their account. (Can be quickly done with a REG file)
    - Set their mouse pointer to an invisible icon.
    - Create a web shortcut to an embarrassing website (eg. Incontinence Control Undergarments). Change the shortcut of one their programs (eg. Email) to the web shortcut instead (making sure to keep the original app icon).
  5. Panda218

Panda218 TS Addict Posts: 269   +99

The iPhone autocorrect phrase is a great one! I did it last year to our old Mobile administrator at work. I replaced "no" with "Sure, what can I assist you with" cause he was king of always telling people no. He was not a happy camper when he finally realized what was happening lol

My prank this year doesn't have any tech involved. Just tape and an air horn rigged under a colleagues chair. I even painted the air horn all black in hopes he wouldn't notice it. I'm very excited for him to return on Friday.
  6. dgast

dgast TS Rookie

Be careful using someone else's computer in a professional environment. In a healthcare that could possibly get you fired.
  7. Nitrotoxin

Nitrotoxin TS Booster Posts: 102   +56

Put the blue screen of death for Windows as a wallpaper and unplug their peripherals... or the gray apple screen of death for fun! =)
  8. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,517   +677

Not even worth a comment .....
  9. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

You guys should check out the Vista upgrade prank. It's hilarious when done right to tech people.
  10. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Posts: 536   +21

The first "prank" here is only a partial have forgotten the best parts.
    1. Take a screenshot of the desktop.
    2. Turn that screenshot up-side-down and save it under temp (or where ever you want).
    3. Rotate the display so that it's up-side-down (as in the 1st prank here).
    4. Set the screenshot you took as the background pic, it should now look as if all is ok, the mouse is just "broken".
    5. Open taskmanager and kill explorer.exe
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Or you could simply change the monitor orientation in [Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution] settings by 90 or 180 degrees. The options are Landscape, Portrait, Landscape (Flipped), and Portrait (Flipped).
  12. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

I like setting wallpapers, then going into policy editor and disabling changing wallpapers
  13. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,617   +494

This will be a fun week I think, so many things to do to unsuspecting computers, and best of all I have multiple options to unleash on my unsuspecting co-workers, I can even get the same person with multiple pranks. Time to put on my sneaking shoes and get to work.
  14. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Awesome article. With a good 48 hours to plan our victims before April Fools. :)
  15. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 862   +353

I use to volunteer in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's as a 911 operator. "Back in the day", we had to do everything on paper, had only 1 terminal to run wanted checks, licenses etc. Around 95, we got computers to do everything. We had one dispatcher, one of my best friends, older lady who was scared to death of computers. One evening, I was about to go off shift. I went into the control panel, changed the scrolling message screen saver, to not kick in unless nothing was touched for over an hour, which means it wouldn't trigger until 2-3am, when it died down.
    Even after I left at midnight, I'd stay up til 3-4am on Friday night/Saturday morning.
    My phone ran about 2:30 am. The voice on the other end said... "I'm going to KILL you the next time I see you".
    Why? Well the message that blanked out the screen and started scrolling said "Critical hard drive error, all data lost on C:\. Contact your administrator to have system installed".
    We all had a good laugh about that one.
    BlueDrake likes this.
  16. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,813   +484

FORMAT C: is the best prank
  17. mrvco

mrvco TS Rookie

And this is just another reason why I set all my computers and devices to require a password.
  18. Satish Mallya

Satish Mallya TS Addict Posts: 124   +92

There's an awesome way to do this randomly through Windows Task Scheduler - check out the tutorial here www
  19. DAOWAce

DAOWAce TS Booster Posts: 248   +30

People actually let others use their computer?

Also, that cracked screen thing.. most LCDs out there aint made of glass!