4K QD-OLED vs. 4K WOLED: What You Need to Know

A lovely summary Tim, very useful stuff.

Still on the fence about this generation. I think I'd like to see a WOLED with a glossy screen in action before deciding. I am leaning towards prioritizing color volume but the text color fringing looks a little offputting, and I'm not crazy about the gamer styling on the Asus.

There was a recent article here on Techspot about how some guys could see FPS better than others. I imagine if a study was done regarding these monitors the results would be similar. Some guys could tell what they are looking at but most guys? Nope

There was a recent article here on Techspot about how some guys could see FPS better than others. I imagine if a study was done regarding these monitors the results would be similar. Some guys could tell what they are looking at but most guys? Nope
It's a lot like sound. Many people can't notice high-res music, but some can.

Unless you actually need the 480hz mode - which I suspect is VERY few people - or a curved screen - you should probably be going for the one you can get the cheapest.

Right now, that’s the MSI… while Asus’ might be a smidgeon better, I don’t see how that justifies $300 more…

Unless you actually need the 480hz mode - which I suspect is VERY few people - or a curved screen - you should probably be going for the one you can get the cheapest.

Right now, that’s the MSI… while Asus’ might be a smidgeon better, I don’t see how that justifies $300 more…
OLEDs are too expensive for me to risk burn in. I know people who say their OLED has lasted years, that's nice. They also have the issue of getting dimmer or tinting to a different color because the blue LEDs used in OLEDs still aren't stable. An OLED that stays on 24/7, as I would need it to do, would break and degrade in under a year. I need durability over anything else and when I can get a durable screen for cheap I'm kinda shocked. I'm used to buying quality tools and those are expensive. It blows my mind that durable screens are cheaper than oleds while getting close in nearly every category.

OLEDs are too expensive for me to risk burn in. I know people who say their OLED has lasted years, that's nice. They also have the issue of getting dimmer or tinting to a different color because the blue LEDs used in OLEDs still aren't stable. An OLED that stays on 24/7, as I would need it to do, would break and degrade in under a year. I need durability over anything else and when I can get a durable screen for cheap I'm kinda shocked. I'm used to buying quality tools and those are expensive. It blows my mind that durable screens are cheaper than oleds while getting close in nearly every category.
Well yes - all of my text pre-supposes you want OLED in the first place.

I’ve got my old Dell 32” IPS that has been on continuously for going on 10 years - that stays as my main productivity monitor…

But I do like the MSI for gaming/video watching… although most of my content gets streamed to my television …

Not sure if anyone is interested but it seems that both qd-oled and w oled have Eyesafe certification from lower harmful blue light.

https://eyesafe.com/oled/

https://innovate.samsungdisplay.com/blog/qd-oleds-low-blue-light-eyesafe-collaboration/

FYI. My personal prescription stopped progressing after I started using the CX oled 3.5 years ago. Coincidentally 🤔.
I had never heard of this until now. Would be curious to see a review in terms of how this protects the eyes an affects color quality.

Indeed, then again.. that's how I think about Asus in general. They are always great and perhaps better than the rest, but... they also have a much higher price tag. Video cards, motherboards, monitors... you name it. That's why I got exactly 0 Asus stuff right now, which is a shame because they aint that bad. Price is king for me, so if other companies are near to their quality, but much cheaper, its GG.

750 hours before first signs of burnin... that's all you need to know...

Promoting this "fake news" again? Just hit 1500 hours on mine, and not a hint of burn-in.

Funny how you actually put more stock in a youtube video than comments from actual owners with real-life, long-term experience with OLEDs. Some of us explained to you in a different article (see the handy link below!) as to why this test was flawed beyond belief. Even Rtings admitted their methodology was flawed.

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-oled-burn-in-test-one-month-update.284976/

IPS can still burn in - almost anything can… but OLED’s are simply the most susceptible.

There’s a reason we had screen savers even back in the 90s after all.
Yes, we had CRT monitors in the 90s, which have absolutely nothing to do with LCD (IPS) monitors in any shape or form. You confuse burn-in with dead pixels, rather different story, and a couple orders of magnitude smaller / rarer problem.

Yes, we had CRT monitors in the 90s, which have absolutely nothing to do with LCD (IPS) monitors in any shape or form. You confuse burn-in with dead pixels, rather different story, and a couple orders of magnitude smaller / rarer problem.
In the past week there was a graphics card that was burned in image from rgb lighting from the ram kit. Even ambient real life lighting can burn in images 🙃 from rgb led lighting.

It's not just OLEDs that can suffer from burn in. Your graphics card's backplate might suffer from it too https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/gr...ics-cards-backplate-might-suffer-from-it-too/

Last edited:
We had LCD monitors then too… late 90s that is :)

All we need to know don't buy either if you do actual work on your computer.

We are the next gen miniled monitors?

750 hours before first signs of burnin... that's all you need to know...

Flawed testing, any 24/7/365 testing for OLED is flawed because pixel cleaning happens in standby mode.

I have tons of OLED panels and zero burn-in at all. Never seen it actually and my first OLED phone was 15 years ago, my first OLED TV was 8 years ago. Never going back to garbage LCD thats for sure. My PC monitor is the last LCD panel. I will never again buy this dated tech. Replacing it this year or next.

I always laugh when people point out OLED burn-in, while accepting LCD issues on day one;

Smearing, backlight bleed, blooming, slow response times, corner glow (ips/va), bad viewing angles (and lowered contrast if wide viewing angle filter is used), low contrast, bad HDR, bad uniformity just to name a few. The tech is flawed beyond fixing, which is why Samsung Display stopped LCD development completely a few years ago.

Also, FALD and Mini LED backlight looses most (or sometimes, all) funtionality in game mode because it needs around 200-400 ms to control the backlight properly, which is not possible in low input lag modes like game or pc mode. Sad.

The high-end market is going towards OLED and away from LCD for a reason. LCD should only be used in low to mid-end stuff really.

Last edited:
Promoting this "fake news" again? Just hit 1500 hours on mine, and not a hint of burn-in.

Funny how you actually put more stock in a youtube video than comments from actual owners with real-life, long-term experience with OLEDs. Some of us explained to you in a different article (see the handy link below!) as to why this test was flawed beyond belief. Even Rtings admitted their methodology was flawed.

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-oled-burn-in-test-one-month-update.284976/

I will say I suffered burn-in on the Windows taskbar on my old B6 (a *very* early OLED). That's when I learned to not blast the OLED light at 100 (I now run @ 30 for my panels). Other then that, a year of WFH doing mainly desktop work really hurt the panel.

My C2 by contrast is holding up *far* better, which makes sense given it's a much newer panel. Still wouldn't run the OLED light above 30 (which is plenty bright enough for a dark room), but no real hint of degradation almost two years in with *very* heavy use.

I've been OLED on my TV for a few years now, OLED on my phones, the only place I haven't gone OLED is my monitor and I think this is the year I finally cave and replace it.

From my experience so far, OLED burn-in is something that's not an issue if you use your device like a normal person. I don't know how many hours I've used my Samsung S95B (First gen QD-OLED) but I've had all the safety systems switched off since the day I bought it, calibrated, it's been excellent picture quality wise, it's prompted me, maybe three times over the years that it will do a pixel clean on next power off that will take 10 minutes, but there's no burn-in, no degradation of picture quality.

It's been so good, I'm confident the new monitors are probably fine for me working and playing games every day on them.

I've been OLED on my TV for a few years now, OLED on my phones, the only place I haven't gone OLED is my monitor and I think this is the year I finally cave and replace it.

From my experience so far, OLED burn-in is something that's not an issue if you use your device like a normal person. I don't know how many hours I've used my Samsung S95B (First gen QD-OLED) but I've had all the safety systems switched off since the day I bought it, calibrated, it's been excellent picture quality wise, it's prompted me, maybe three times over the years that it will do a pixel clean on next power off that will take 10 minutes, but there's no burn-in, no degradation of picture quality.

It's been so good, I'm confident the new monitors are probably fine for me working and playing games every day on them.
So you use your TV for productivity? Of course not. TV's aren't a problem they don't have static objects other than stupid logos. I have no problem buying an OLED TV but this is about a desktop monitor and if you don't basically just game or watch videos all day, using one in a work environment with apps like Photoshop or rendering programs open all day is going to be highly problematic. I don't care if it lasts the entirety of the pathetic 3 year warranty, I expect at least 10 years from a monitor that will cost $2K+ where I live and there's not a snowball's chance in hell OLED for productivity will last the distance

So you use your TV for productivity? Of course not. TV's aren't a problem they don't have static objects other than stupid logos. I have no problem buying an OLED TV but this is about a desktop monitor and if you don't basically just game or watch videos all day, using one in a work environment with apps like Photoshop or rendering programs open all day is going to be highly problematic. I don't care if it lasts the entirety of the pathetic 3 year warranty, I expect at least 10 years from a monitor that will cost $2K+ where I live and there's not a snowball's chance in hell OLED for productivity will last the distance
As I noted above: My C2 is holding up *far* better then my B6 did. Dark Mode plus turning down the OLED light (I recommend 30) has caused it to hold together *far* better then my B6 did at the same point in its lifecycle (6800 hours of this writing). Zero evidence of even minor uniformity issues to speak of.

So yes, I would say 10 years out of the panel is quite achievable with current OLED tech.

Back