TechSpot

Toshiba Laptop keeps rebooting

By trinamick
May 19, 2006
  1. Hi everyone, newbie here - hope I'm in the right place.

My boss's Toshiba notebook (1955-S806) shut down while he was working and now it keeps rebooting. It gets as far as the Windows XP logo and then restarts. I tried rebooting in safe mode - same problem. Shutting down completely and then starting up again was ineffective as well. I know virtually nothing about Toshiba, since the rest of our computers are Dell. My boss is searching for any disks or owner's manual, but no luck so far. :) Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Serial No. 23023196CU (if that helps any)

2. Mr Papschmere

Mr Papschmere TS Rookie Posts: 55

Have you just installed Service Pack 2? It does exactly that if the BIOS is an older version on some Laptops & PC's.

You could try hitting F8 just after POST Screen and it'll bring up a menu. Try "Last known good Configuration" or whatever it's called.

If thats no good, download and make a Floppy or CD of Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/

Boot from that, run the test and that way you can rule out RAM problems.

3. trinamick

trinamick TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

It's been awhile since SP2 was loaded - no immediate problems. I've tried using the Last Known Good Configuration - didn't work. I'll try your other suggestion. Thanks

4. trinamick

trinamick TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

I tried the F8, and I was given the option to disable the automatic restart on system failure. When I did that, I was finally able to get the blue screen.

This is what I got:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F8DC08, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, ox00000000)

5. Ed Kurtz

Ed Kurtz TS Rookie

Toshiba Laptop reboots

I get as similar error;
    I tried the F8, and I was given the option to disable the automatic restart on system failure. When I did that, I was finally able to get the blue screen.
    This is what I got:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82334E30, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, ox00000000)
    I think this means the hard drive boot sector is bad. Where could I get CD'smto rebuild this? My XP home CD's from my Dell do not work in this Toshiba.
    help!
    tks, Ed

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.