Toshiba Problem: CPU @ 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a problem with my laptop for that last 6-8 weeks and it would be brilliant if anyone can suggest a possible cause/cure.

I have a 10 month old toshiba R500 protege (Core 2 Duo processors at 1.7 GHz, Intel GMA graphics, 2 GB ram, 120 GB hard disk drive, Vista)
** it has been useless. I've already had 2 disc drives and a new hard drive.

The problem seems to arise every 2-3 weeks in between bouts of the laptop working fine.

What happens is the cpu will jump to a least 90-100% and stick there for between 2 and 10 minutes. Obviously this slows the whole computer down, but never crashes it.

I have tried to narrow down what is causing it, but this will happen when either itunes. outlook or IE are open, and has happened with them all open, or just one open at a time. This has really left me stuck as to what could be the cause, and other people suggestions of either too many windows open, too much flash, etc havent been much help because of the numerous culprits.

This just happened with itunes open on its own. This seems to be the most common cause of it, especially when playing music or syncing an ipod/iphone. I have all my music on an external drive which could possible been a factor??? who knows?

I managed to note down the below info from the task manager:

Process Window:
Itunes was at 36 in the CPU column with 110.00k in the memory column

Performance Window:
Cpu: 100%
Memory: 1.24 (of 2g of memory)
Page file: 1815/4313

If anyone has any suggestions as to what i could try that would be great. People have suggest to me factory resets, and trying xp rather than vista thus far, but if there are any other suggestions out there i would love to hear them!

Cheers

disconnect from the Internet and then boot.

look to see if iTunes still goes berzerk or the system is still stable. If stable,
go to iTunes and delete the config info for your iTunes account (add it back later)
and terminate iTunes.

reconnect the Internet and wait to see the results again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back