Toshiba Satellite A15 Wacky Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "s" key on my laptop acts as if I'm holding down the key. The only way I can this to stop is to hold down the s key while holding the backspace key. This disables the s key - the laptop is functional, all except the s key. I tried booting the laptop in SAFE mode, I reloaded XP, reload the BIOS, and finally tried installing a new keyboard. Nothing worked. Any suggestions?

Hi alanbkahn and welcome to the TechSpot Forum :wave:

If a change of keyboard didnt do it then odds are the board is faulty in someway, thats assuming the keyboard you bought didnt have the same fault with it.

Can you plug in a PS2 keyboard and see if that works...

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

alanbkahn said:
The "s" key on my laptop acts as if I'm holding down the key. The only way I can this to stop is to hold down the s key while holding the backspace key. This disables the s key - the laptop is functional, all except the s key. I tried booting the laptop in SAFE mode, I reloaded XP, reload the BIOS, and finally tried installing a new keyboard. Nothing worked. Any suggestions?

You replace the keyboard and it's still doing it? Might have to replace the MOBO which you connect the keyboard to on the laptop to correct the bug somewhere some circurt might have blown out or is faulty. That's how I would fix it. You'll be there for hours trying to figure this one out. Is that still under waranty?

I can't think of the name of the dang thing, but there is another part they should have replaced when they replaced the keyboard. This has been an issue with many of the Toshiba laptops.

Toshiba-Satellite-1200-sm09.jpg

Turn over the keyboard strip and disconnect the LED board cable from the control board.

Remove four screws securing the laptop keyboard and lift it up from the laptop.

Open the keyboard connector on the system board and pull the keyboard cable.

Remove the keyboard.

Toshiba-Satellite-1200-sm10.jpg

Connector bridge on the MOBO, we ususally change out he MOBO..

Wackiness continues

Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried remapkey, moving the s key to F12 (I still don't know what the F12 key is for). That kinda' of worked, as the F12 did enter an s. Continuous s's were still being entered until I hit the s key and the backspace key. Left the laptop on overnight and rebooted it this morning - wait for it - the s key now works fine. Coincidence, humidity, computer trolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back