TechSpot

toshiba satellite cpu

By mattcw31
Feb 24, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a toshiba satellite 2545xcdt w/amd k6-2 333mhz, with 66fsb. was wondering what is the fastest cpu that i can replace it with?

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Well you need a laptop version of the CPU which is harder to find then a normal one. On top of that, K6-2 CPUs in general have become something of a rarity. & finally when you take into account the fact that laptop CPUs aren't meant to be swapped with newer ones, you'll notice you have a lot going against you.;)

If you insist on looking for one anyways, I guess you could pretty much take any K6-2 all the way to 500mhz & adjust it to a 66mhz FSB. The Socket CPUs before the Slot 1/A era did not have locked multipliers so you could play around with it & the FSB, provided the laptop's BIOS / Mainboard lets you do so.

Just bring the new chip down to the same speed as the old one & gradually raise the speed while keeping an eye on the temps. If your laptop was designed with a certain CPU speed in mind, it might not react very well with a faster, hotter chip.

I still think it might be a better idea to start saving for a newer laptop though.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

3. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 369

uh... when u can get decent dell laptops for 999, why bother

4. jay_the_soldier

jay_the_soldier TS Rookie

didnt ya mama ever teach ya to waste not want not?

5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Because of the processor and head disipation in that model, I doubt what you want to do can be accomplished.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

Nice post Didou :wave: Thorough and well said.

7. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

WOW....that is a late thankyou!!

8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,865   +165

Some older laptop's have the CPU permanently mounted on the motherboard, so upgrading the CPU means getting another motherboard. Something that is cost prohibitive... Especially for a Toshiba

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.