TechSpot

Toshiba Satellite keyboard issues - with a twist

By lm_wise
Jan 19, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've read through a lot of the threads here on keyboard issues. I'm wondering if anyone else has had symptoms similiar to mine: At random and variable intervals, my mapping will go screwy, the light below F10 will turn on, several keys become completely unresponsive, context sensitive menus pop open, etc. Here's the thing I haven't seen anyone else report: I can be sure one or more of those results will happen if I put pressure on or squeeze the area to the left or below the keyboard - including the black part where the media buttons are and the silver cover that is a natural palm rest. Based on that, I belive it to be hardware related. Anyone have something similar? Do you think replacing the control circuit thing as others have reported will work? Or am I looking at replacing the whole keyboard? Or something else entirely? Note that sometimes it happens even when I haven't touched or squeezed those areas, so what does that mean? Thanks!?
  2. mscrx

mscrx Newcomer, in training Posts: 829

this usually happens if the connector(s) are lose. eiter keyboard or touchpad.
    I donno how this works on toshiba laptops but you could try to remove the keyboard and re-seat the connector to the motherboard.
    it is also possible that the contacts underneath the buttons are dirty. this would be a bit more work. you also need to remove the keyboard clean it up carefully. there are cleaning fluids available for notebook keyboards. I think its mostly alcohol in it because it gets dry fast. not sure but I think it was more like a spray.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

bad connection somewhere. Perhaps a bad ground.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.