Toshiba Techra 8000 cd/dvd drive not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presley

I am currently using a Toshia Techra 8000 (Windows 2000) and am having issues with my cd/dvd drive. While troubleshooting the hardware, I was given the following message, "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

It then told me that the associated device is not working and if that was corrected it should work. I assume that the associated device would be the toshiba cd/dvd device that loads the the drive? This is my first question... what is the associated device? Thinking that it was an issue with the drive, I decided to try an alternative.

I am trying to install a Sony Dual RW Drive (Sony DVD RW DRU-710A USB Device). I had no problem downloading the drivers for the external drive. However, I keep having the same issue with the toshiba cd/dvd. I get the code 31 message and the information about the associate device.

I would appreciate any help, information, guidance, facts, etc. that you can provide to me :) I realize that this is a discontinued model but it is all I have to use right now. Thanks for all your help!

Try removing the CD-Rom from Device Manager and then use the Add New Hardware wizard to redetect them. Firstly download updated drivers if you haven't already done so..

Techra 8000 cd/dvd drive part II

I tried your suggestion and it didnt work :( any thoughts for a plan b, c, d, e lol

CD/DVD rom drives don't normally need special drivers. Windows already has it. IF it doesn't work, return it and get another drive.

Part III

If the cd drive on the comp and the external cd drive i bought both dont work... should i still assume its the drives not working? is it possible there is something wrong with the computer?

Also, what is the associated device for a cd drive?

then you have a driver compatibility issue.

I would start by checking your BIOS. What does it tell you?

Is the second CD/DVD drive on USB?

I am not completely sure how to check my BIOS... I have some idea of what it is but not exactly :D

My second CD/DVD is connected by USB. The USB does work for my camera, mouse, or travel disk.

:confused:

all computers have a key that you must press and hold to get into BIOS when booting.

for most it is DEL, or TAB, or F1

be careful when in BIOS, you can really screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.

You need to examine in BIOS what the computer sees for drives when booting.

BIOS won't tell you what drives are connected by USB. But it will tell you what drives are on IDE, which should be for your first drive.

Any suggestions for what I should look for while in the BIOS? Should I look for the codes you mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back