Toshiba: world's first glasses-free 3D laptop arrives in August

Jos

Toshiba has announced it is launching the "world's first" glasses-free 3D laptop next month. First teased at CES 2011, the Qosmio F750 not only lets you view 3D images without glasses, it can also display 2D at the exact same time on its 15.6-inch screen -- so you can browse web sites while watching 3D content, for example. The laptop uses eye-tracking technology to detect the viewer's position and adjust the stereoscopic image accordingly.

As you would expect, the Qosmio F750 is designed with multimedia and gaming in mind. It features a full HD 1920 x 1080 display, Nvidia GeForce GT 540M graphics card, Blu-ray rewritable drive, and Harman Kardon speakers. There's also a second-generation Intel Core i7 processor, 6GB of RAM, a 640 GB (5400rpm) HDD, and plenty of connectivity options: a multi-card reader, Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 3.0, three USB 2.0 ports plus one USB 3.0 port, and HDMI.

toshiba world

Engadget got some hands-on time with the F750 and noted that the eye-tracking system was remarkably quick, claiming the videos they saw were "pretty mouthwatering -- at least once our eyes and brain adjusted to the 3D effect." It's worth noting that the 3D effect is limited to a single user at a time due to Toshiba's eye-tracking approach.

The Toshiba Qosmio F750 3D will be available in the UK for £1300 (around $2100) starting in August. The laptop should make its way to the U.S. sometime shortly thereafter, so we'll have to an eye out for the actual price and launch date.

Permalink to story.

hope someone makes a 3D OS soon :) i wanna organise my windows by distance rather than just having them lay flat on top of each other

how come that toshiba make such a good machine, but put so slow harddrives in it ? it makes the pc 10 times slower than it should be. and their mtb runs only with sata 150. this machine is gonna lag and is not worth the money.

Guest said:
how come that toshiba make such a good machine, but put so slow harddrives in it ? it makes the pc 10 times slower than it should be. and their mtb runs only with sata 150. this machine is gonna lag and is not worth the money.

10 times slower? A little overstated I think. I'm sure there will be an option to add an ssd for your already expensive hardware.

10 times slower? A little overstated I think. I'm sure there will be an option to add an ssd for your already expensive hardware.

i had a qosmio x-300 extreme edition, with 5400rpm hdd, and it was slow as h... even with hybrid disc it was slow becouse of the hdd controller was only sata 150. games lagged, full hd movies lagged. even after clean reinstall of windows it was the same.

but the speakers in the system, that i liked very much. harmon kardon ftw.

so if you ask gamers and power users, that new machine is a waste of money.

The GT540m just isn't powerful enough to play most recent games at the native resolution......y u do this toshiba?

Guest said:

The hard drive only affects load time to the memory. with 6GB of ram Your not going to see any slowdown in application use due to the hard drive other then the startup times when all those resources are loaded.

Xero07 said:
Guest said:

The hard drive only affects load time to the memory. with 6GB of ram Your not going to see any slowdown in application use due to the hard drive other then the startup times when all those resources are loaded.

I only loaded up an OS on a 5,400 drive once (in recent memory anyway), and it ran like molasses if I tried to do more than one thing at once on it. He could see improvement with a regular 7,200 drive.

As far as hybrid drives go, having tested out my Seagate Momentus XT in my primary computer, and my secondary computer, I can advise that if you run a lot of different applications on your computer (more than the capacity of the cache, 4 GB) in my case, the speed benefits are marginal, especially if you put your computer to sleep instead of turning it on/off. But if you run a very basic system off it, where you just run a few basic operations, the system boots up very fast, as do the startup items.

Back