TechSpot

Toshiba's 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet packs Bay Trail CPU for $330

By Scorpus
Sep 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Toshiba has announced their first 8-inch Windows tablet at IFA 2013, the Encore, which manages to beat Acer's Iconia Tab W3-810 in both the price and specifications department. A standout feature of this tablet is the inclusion of a brand...

Read more

2. How does it do 2 Modern apps at once I thought the display has to be 1366 to do that?

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

So why anybody would be prepared to hemorrhage $800-$900 on a Windows Surface Pro tablet is beyond me. It's no wonder they had to write off $900 mil recently.

4. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

I believe the restrictions were removed or relaxed for Windows 8.1 (also why, in the image, the snapped apps each get 50% of the screen).

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

Personally, I think the Surface Pro becomes a much more desirable device with Haswell and a more refined body (e.g., the kickstand), even in the $800 range.

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,115   +1,523

I'm not sure about the refined body, but Haswell i5 would make $800(US) for Surface Pro appealing. I only wish Windows 8 was cosmetically just as appealing to me.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

It may be worth a bit more but never 2.5x more. Remember overspending on tech is a mugs game, you can never win.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

It's all about taste. I find Win 8 on mobile devices far more appealing than Android, it's the desktop version that gets me down.

9. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

If it wasnt Toshiba I would think about it. Toshiba products never worked well for me.

10. "which manages to beat Acer's Iconia Tab W3-810 in both the price and specifications department", but not on the OS

If it was Windows 7 with touch, it would be better. Icons, not tiles! Start menu, not tiles!
    Leave it the way it was, not tiles!

11. MS has to keep the price high to keep their OEM's happy.

12. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 410   +38

This is full Windows? Not the RT nonsense? If so this looks like a very good small to midsize tablet option for Windows users. The price point is more in line with what people are willing to pay for a tablet as well. I like the Surface Pro, but it is expensive. The Surface Pro 2 looks like it will be good too but with a price so high its even more in a niche market.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.