Toyota says battery breakthrough will lead to 745-mile EVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Toyota has achieved a significant breakthrough that puts the company one step closer to launching electric vehicles powered by advanced solid-state batteries. The Japanese automaker already had its sights set on rolling out new cars with game-changing battery capabilities in the near future. Now they seemingly have a path to get there, but will this really be the holy grail of battery technology or yet another inflated promise full of hot air?

"For both our liquid and solid-state batteries, we are aiming to drastically change the situation where current batteries are too big, heavy and expensive," said Keiji Kaita, president of Toyota's research and development center for carbon neutrality. "In terms of potential, we will aim to halve all of these factors."

The Financial Times reports that Toyota has developed a way to simplify the production process for battery materials. According to Toyota, the breakthrough will allow them to turn out EVs with a range of about 745 miles and a recharge time of 10 minutes or less.

Rolling out models with real-world range and recharge times like these would no doubt help propel Toyota to the top of the EV food chain, but it is not going to happen overnight. Kaita believes Toyota could mass produce a solid-state battery with these capabilities by 2027 or 2028. That's not too far out, but rest assured the competition isn't going to just sit by idly and wait for Toyota to bury them.

Related reading: Ford: The US can't compete with China on electric vehicles, for now

The EV landscape as a whole could look drastically different five years from now. Then again, it could just as easily resemble today's market where the average EV range is less than half of what Toyota is promising from its advanced solid-state batteries.

If Toyota can deliver, it would be a massive leap forward with multiple beneficiaries. Unfortunately, we have become jaded by the sheer number of promises about game-changing battery technology over the years. Batteries have come a long way, but it has been more evolutionary than revolutionary.

In short, I will believe Toyota's claims when I see it.

Image credit: Logo by Christina Telep, Charging by Michael Fousert

Permalink to story.

This would certainly answer all those with range anxiety and end all the excuses for not switching over from fossil fuels ..... lets just hope they keep it affordable, and not make it planned obsolescence ...

why are they excuses, the cost of ev's is much much much higher, and they are not good for the environment. ford lightning starts at 90k. the cost of a new cars has hit over 45k now just as ev's turn popular. similar to how electric rates have skyrocketed worldwide just coinciding with the advent of green wind and solar energy.

of course an ev is not zero emissions, it just stores energy from somewhere else that caused emissions.

the cost to repair an ev is much higher too, meaning more expensive to insure, so it even eat up any imaginary gas savings. no websites ever talk about that though. along with states increasingly charging extra fees for ev's, my state texas charges 400 on registration and 200 each year only for an ev since you arent paying gas taxes to maintain roads. since I save barely 1k a year on gas the real saving basically end up small when combined with higher insurance rates

none of this matters though, as liberals are never about the environment, they are about bullying.

of course an ev is not zero emissions, it just stores energy from somewhere else that caused emissions.
You're confused. EVs run on electricity, which can be generated "greenly" through solar, wind, and other means. It doesn't mean ALL that electricity is currently from green sources, but can be. Cars that run on fossil fuels will always be polluting, so the longer we cling to them the worse off we will be in the long run.

none of this matters though, as liberals are never about the environment, they are about bullying.
Ah yes, this is what your post is really about. It was just a political swipe. It wasn't about EVs or whether they're clean or not, it was just about taking a swipe at liberals, because they're bullies and every problem in the world is caused by them. I'm guessing you'll be voting for the orange turd next fall.

People still trying to promote oil industry FUD in comments for any EV article in 2023. Sigh.

I'm not a fan of Toyota because of their anti-EV history, but bringing solid state batteries to mass production in 2028 would be awesome. Will remain skeptical until I see news about produced batteries.

You're confused. EVs run on electricity, which can be generated "greenly" through solar, wind, and other means. It doesn't mean ALL that electricity is currently from green sources, but can be. Cars that run on fossil fuels will always be polluting, so the longer we cling to them the worse off we will be in the long run.

Ah yes, this is what your post is really about. It was just a political swipe. It wasn't about EVs or whether they're clean or not, it was just about taking a swipe at liberals, because they're bullies and every problem in the world is caused by them. I'm guessing you'll be voting for the orange turd next fall.
They take the phrase less is more literally, don't they?

I like fun cars and weight is the enemy. The power density of current batteries needs to double. If I can have a genuine 300 mile range electric car that'll recharge in 20 minutes where the battery weighs half what it would today then that will make all the difference. Especially to potential small sports cars and the like.

I think 300 miles is ample for my use and probably 99 percent of everyone if the charge rate is quick enough. Ultimately if you "only" had a 200 mile range but you knew the vehicle would charge from near flat to full in 10-15 minutes with plenty of chargers about you probably wouldn't worry that much either.

No one needs over 300 miles of highway driving for an EV. I’d take a much smaller battery that lowers the cost of the car and also lowers the weight of the car with 300 miles of range than spend extra money on a heavier car with a bigger battery. I’ve had my EV6 for almost 2 years now and it gets about 300 miles. I’ve been across several state lines for road trips and not once was I thinking I needed more range.

the cost of ev's is much much much higher
Wrong. Absolutely wrong. I have one, and you are wrong. Wrong as hell in fact.

the cost to repair an ev is much higher too
Wrong.

Please do some homework on that. I mean, please!

as liberals are never about the environment
Wrong.

The good news is you are batting 1000. It's been a long time since I have seen so much wrong in one place.

Well, it is Toyota we are talking about, they might discover something really, really cool, but unless they test it for years through their usual cycles, I don't see them releasing a solid stated EV for quite a while.
In the meantime, their hybrids and plugins are IMHO fairly great, making the wait for a good pure EV more than acceptable.

Wrong.

Wrong.

The good news is you are batting 1000. It's been a long time since I have seen so much wrong in one place.

Dude, your comments made me laugh loud for minutes.
It's like I am watching The Simpsons&South Park in the same time.

Dude, your comments made me laugh loud for minutes.
It's like I am watching The Simpsons&South Park in the same time.
Well then I figure you laughed out of appreciation and you agree.
I mean, if you thought I was wrong, then you would have proved it. So thanks brother!

Though I would have appreciated The Simpsons and Family guy more.

If toyota can actually manage to make solid state batteries a thing, it will be the revolution we need in technology. In addition to range and durability improvement, the big thing is safety. Solid state are much less prone to shorting out, fires, ece. That stability will be important in widespread EV usage.
I like fun cars and weight is the enemy. The power density of current batteries needs to double. If I can have a genuine 300 mile range electric car that'll recharge in 20 minutes where the battery weighs half what it would today then that will make all the difference. Especially to potential small sports cars and the like.

I think 300 miles is ample for my use and probably 99 percent of everyone if the charge rate is quick enough. Ultimately if you "only" had a 200 mile range but you knew the vehicle would charge from near flat to full in 10-15 minutes with plenty of chargers about you probably wouldn't worry that much either.
Dont forget: 30% degradation is considered "fine" and will not warrant a replacement according to OEMs.

Add in 15% range loss during the winter.

So for that 300 mile EV, you want a 500-600 mile range battery underneath, making toyota's announcement very exciting to hear, if it pans out. Big news for us truck owners as well, 745 miles means closer to 250 when towing, which is 3-4 hours depending on road conditions. that's a LOT better then the 100 rivian gets now, or the F-150 lightning's 113 miles.
no u, waah orange man
Way to prove his point.

Lets do a simple math here: 745miles range, charge 10 minutes.

Efficiency of the best on the market is Tesla 3 @ 5 miles per kW, that might be improved, but not a lot in the immediate future. Before you mention Merc EQXX, it is just a showcase and won't be on sale for quite while, technology will trickle to the mass production eventually, but will be even more expensive and complex to produce such vehicles.

So at 5 miles per kW, you need 149kW of battery energy, charging that with Tesla 120kW charger will take hour and a quarter, approx. including losses at 5% max. Tesla supercharger at 250kW will do at 45 minutes. Charging that much energy in 10 minutes will need a charger of almost 1MW...more power, Igor...

If we are to double the efficiency, and that will be quite hard to do, but let say we can do 10 miles per kW, we would need battery half the size, and charging that in 10 minutes would require a 500kW charger, still more than the biggest chargers currently available. Our infrastructure cannot handle it at present and would need huge investment for the upgrade.

As for the ecological point, all power stations (be them fossil fuels, nuclear or renewables*) have to cut down production during low demand, like nights, what that means is they still run and "pollute", just electricity generation is turned off, so charging electric vehicles overnight now makes sense as utilisation of power stations will significantly increase.

*pollution of "renewable" energy generation will be left for another topic, it's not that "green" either

Toyota has been researching hydrogen combustion engines as well. They also currently offer Hydrogen electric engines as well. They also have a lot of gas/electric hybrid options. Which I think is best for our current state.

They know that pure EV is not the future and they cannot be fixated on that as such. My guess is, like all the arguments turn to, infrastructure is a big road block for EV’s

They made the Prius 25yrs ago. They dont have a massive lineup of pure EV vehicles for a reason. They know its not the future…

What is worth watching is the Toyota timeline.

There are other companies working on their own solid state batteries (Quantumscape San Jose CA, Brightvolt Redmond WA, and of course Solid Power of Louisville CO) which have much shorter development time remaining. In fact Solid Power was given a Dept of energy grant and along with Quantumscape is already in field-testing phase.

EDIT to add this:

Last edited:

Wrong.

Wrong.

Actually, it's you that is wrong - at least on points 1 and 3.

1. The purchase cost of an average EV is higher than the purchase cost of an average gas powered car by roughly by $11k.
2. The cost of repair *could* be more on an EV if it's the battery, but from what I've seen over the span of 5 years a gas vehicle does cost more. Now if you're one of those people that likes to keep your vehicles forever than the argument may change. (battery replacement)
3.The process to produce an EV is NOT zero emissions, it's just not. Take your own advice and do a two minute search. Those batteries don't just appear out of thin air.
4. As for "liberals and the environment" - I would say that would be a case by case basis. But there is no blanket "Wrong" as you replied.

I actually am a big fan of EVs, but my goodness, I can still see their shortcomings.

Last edited:
1. The purchase cost of an average EV is higher than the purchase cost of an average gas powered car by roughly by $11k.
You don't want to compare top line EVs to mid-range smokers, do you? Because there are 6 or 7 EVs already under $35k. Not to mention EVs are 90% maintenance free and an eMPG of over 100. Also remember battery life has improved markedly over the last 10 years and there are good cars available used.
2. The process to produce an EV is NOT zero emissions, it's just not. Take your own advice and do a two minute search. Those batteries don't just appear out of thin air.
Oh, no I agree, producing them is pretty much the same as any smoke pump. Well, except the EV won't start producing emissions the second the throttle is hit until.... ever.
The cost of repair *could* be more on an EV if it's the battery, but from what I've seen over the span of 5 years a gas vehicle does cost more. Now if you're one of those people that likes to keep your vehicles forever than the argument may change. (battery replacement)
Agree, but there are already people that will just buy a new battery. We know the EV motors should reach 800-900k miles, so just a new battery is a huge part of a drive line rebuild.
As for "liberals and the environment" - I would say that would be a case by case basis. But there is no blanket "Wrong" as you replied.
And please keep in mind that blanket, because I was just stating each side as a whole.
As a whole, the libs care about damaging the environment every bit as much as the cons don't give a damn.

Lets do a simple math here: 745miles range, charge 10 minutes.

Efficiency of the best on the market is Tesla 3 @ 5 miles per kW, that might be improved, but not a lot in the immediate future. Before you mention Merc EQXX, it is just a showcase and won't be on sale for quite while, technology will trickle to the mass production eventually, but will be even more expensive and complex to produce such vehicles.

So at 5 miles per kW, you need 149kW of battery energy, charging that with Tesla 120kW charger will take hour and a quarter, approx. including losses at 5% max. Tesla supercharger at 250kW will do at 45 minutes. Charging that much energy in 10 minutes will need a charger of almost 1MW...more power, Igor...

If we are to double the efficiency, and that will be quite hard to do, but let say we can do 10 miles per kW, we would need battery half the size, and charging that in 10 minutes would require a 500kW charger, still more than the biggest chargers currently available. Our infrastructure cannot handle it at present and would need huge investment for the upgrade.

As for the ecological point, all power stations (be them fossil fuels, nuclear or renewables*) have to cut down production during low demand, like nights, what that means is they still run and "pollute", just electricity generation is turned off, so charging electric vehicles overnight now makes sense as utilisation of power stations will significantly increase.

*pollution of "renewable" energy generation will be left for another topic, it's not that "green" either
Counterpoint: when traveling long distance, charging to 100% is pointless. 80% is much easier to achieve and can be done quickly.

The tesla model 3 is using an older 400v battery arch, not bad, but it does limit fast charging due to heat buildup. The newer EVs are now shipping with 800v packs, like the kia EV6, which can go from 10-80% in 18 minutes, or 217 miles. That's with a max of 230kW charging, compared to the model 3's 250kW. Larger batteries will be able to handle the full 350kW of current high power chargers. At that level we could easily be seeing 320 miles in 18 minutes, which is 4 hours of driving at 80 on the interstate.

High voltage batteries are rapidly changing how well charging works, and the industry is now looking into 1000-1200v batteries that can charge even faster.
Toyota has been researching hydrogen combustion engines as well. They also currently offer Hydrogen electric engines as well. They also have a lot of gas/electric hybrid options. Which I think is best for our current state.

They know that pure EV is not the future and they cannot be fixated on that as such. My guess is, like all the arguments turn to, infrastructure is a big road block for EV’s

They made the Prius 25yrs ago. They dont have a massive lineup of pure EV vehicles for a reason. They know its not the future…
Hydrogen's future will likely be in heavy duty equipment, like tractor trailers, where the weight and size of batteries becomes a major roadblock to implementation. For cars and light trucks, its highly unlikely, as the benefits dont really outweigh what EVs can do today. The Mirai really shows that off.
You don't want to compare top line EVs to mid-range smokers, do you? Because there are 6 or 7 EVs already under $35k. Not to mention EVs are 90% maintenance free and an eMPG of over 100. Also remember battery life has improved markedly over the last 10 years and there are good cars available used.

Oh, no I agree, producing them is pretty much the same as any smoke pump. Well, except the EV won't start producing emissions the second the throttle is hit until.... ever.

Agree, but there are already people that will just buy a new battery. We know the EV motors should reach 800-900k miles, so just a new battery is a huge part of a drive line rebuild.

And please keep in mind that blanket, because I was just stating each side as a whole.
As a whole, the libs care about damaging the environment every bit as much as the cons don't give a damn.
1. This is pure whataboutism. Compare an EV to a COMAPRABLE gas vehicle, and they are indeed significantly more expensive. The EV6 is one of the more affordable ones, starting at 55k for the 310 mile battery, but the body and interior are essentially a santa fe, which starts at $35k for a gasser with the same interior. Those 35k EVs you mentioned are either cars with playskool tier interiors that belong in the chevy sonic (the bolt) or have poor interiors and bad build quality (model 3) OR, they have far shorter ranges that wont help you unless you live in a total urban environment (leaf) which isnt comparable to any current gas car.

2. EV emissions are in the factory, and are significantly higher there then gas cars. Adn they DO produce emissions, when charged via coal or natural gas, which is most grids because nuclear bad and last time I checked the sun dont shine at night.

3. Oh yeah, just shell out for a new $25k battery, no big dealio. Remember, over 50% of CO2 taken to build an EV comes from that battery pack, so make sure you calculate that into your CO2 output vs "smoke pumps" :)

4. Libs care about CO2, not environmental damage. You point out the destruction to jungles and waterways from nickel and cobalt mining, and they simply shrug and call you a chud. The toxic sludge from the solar manufacturing process? Just throw it into the yangtze, who cares? THINK OF THE CO2!!!!! Disposable tech that cant be maintained and create immense amounts of toxic waste? MUH WIND TURBEEENES!!!!!!

We get news about such groundbreaking breakthroughs every darned week. I don't even raise an eyebrow anymore. Bring it to market, until then it's just an empty promise. Btw. Toyota originally promised their solid state tech in 2022, in the form of an EV you can buy in masses. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back